advertisement

Calling commuters - Wireless Headphones ideas?

effinity

pfm Member
Would like suggestions for best quality over ear wireless headphones for under £100 if possible? Good volume so can be heard over train. On behalf of my son, cheers. Steve

Ideally you want noise cancelling headphones for the train, this is better than ramping up the volume to drown out the external noise (and thus save potential hearing damage). I use Bose Quiet Comfort III that are bliss. You can probably get a used set of the older models for under £100 now.

Ideally you want noise cancelling headphones for the train, this is better than ramping up the volume to drown out the external noise (and thus save potential hearing damage). I use Bose Quiet Comfort III that are bliss. You can probably get a used set of the older models for under £100 now.

Thanks, noise cancelling makes much sense to me. I'll pass it on. He does lead a 20 piece samba band so we might be too late but any damage limitation helps ;)

Not wireless or noise-cancelling, but currently I use Sennheiser Momentum II, the on-ear type. Being closed back they block out a good chunk of background noise and the slightly bass-heavy perspective sounds just right in public transport environments. Mine were about £50 in some deal a while back and they are not much more than that now (Richer). They do a wireless version, though it is quite a lot more expensive.

I've commuted daily for years with various on ear closed headphones and always come back to the DT1350, they seal out most noise and sound superb.

Runners up
T70P , sound better but worse isolation
HD25 Amperior
Vmoda XS (close 2nd)
ES7
ES10

I've commuted daily for years with various on ear closed headphones and always come back to the DT1350, they seal out most noise and sound superb.

Runners up
T70P , sound better but worse isolation
HD25 Amperior
Vmoda XS (close 2nd)
ES7
ES10

cheers 1800, they might be over budget but thanks for the info, i'll pass it on.

I'll throw these AKG's into the mix.

I commute on the train daily and find these to have great sound and build, good for isolation and long battery life.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'll throw these AKG's into the mix.

I commute on the train daily and find these to have great sound and build, good for isolation and long battery life.

Cheers, passed on, within his budget too

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If anyone has traveled on the London northern underground recently, they are likely to have noticed the very load scraping sound that sometimes occurs. My friend uses Sony noise cancelling ear muff to shut out the noise. I don't use the tube that often, but the scraping sound is so load it's painful to me. I would have thought this should be a Health and Safety matter.

Daughter#2 travels by train to work (@bout an hour each way). She uses the Bose noise cancelling jobbies and tells me that they do the job. She demoed them against my B&W Wireless P5 which she felt had the edge in SQ over the Bose, but the Bose fitted better. SWMBO did the same comparison, and came to a similar conclusion (she now also has the Bose).

YMMV

She lives in Clapham - and has commented on the “Northern line screech” :)

Edit: those Sennheisers on Amazon look to be an absolute steal!

Daughter#2 travels by train to work (@bout an hour each way). She uses the Bose noise cancelling jobbies and tells me that they do the job. She demoed them against my B&W Wireless P5 which she felt had the edge in SQ over the Bose, but the Bose fitted better. SWMBO did the same comparison, and came to a similar conclusion (she now also has the Bose).

YMMV

She lives in Clapham - and has commented on the “Northern line screech” :)

Edit: those Sennheisers on Amazon look to be an absolute steal!

Thanks for your input, it does seem to be between AKG and Sennheisers for value.

The Northern line was screeching even 27yrs ago when I lived near The Oval!

Not wireless or noise-cancelling, but currently I use Sennheiser Momentum II, the on-ear type. Being closed back they block out a good chunk of background noise and the slightly bass-heavy perspective sounds just right in public transport environments. Mine were about £50 in some deal a while back and they are not much more than that now (Richer). They do a wireless version, though it is quite a lot more expensive.

I've got the wireless, noise cancelling version and paid £150 for them, not sure if they are still available at that price. I'd also keep an eye on Drop, it's better if you are in the US, but the EU Audiophile Collection often has interesting headphone deals.

I picked up some Sony XM2's on last years black Friday, they transformed the 2-3 tube commutes I have a week - the XM3's are supposed to be better still on the noise cancelling front.

Loads of reviews on Youtube, but the Sony's are fairly unanimously ranked as the best out there.

advertisement

Back