advertisement

Talking Heads

As I say upthread I just love the trajectory from 77 to RIL, it is an amazing journey/transition. Hard to think of many bands that achieved similar growth.
Yes, I guess I will start for TH77 and afterwards the other two!At the moment I just have the RIL.

Eno seemed to spark something in Byrne, that was nowhere near as evident on the second phase of albums without him.

I don't think they worked together again apart from "my life". Correct me if im wrong?

They also recorded 'Everything That Happens Will Happen Today' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_That_Happens_Will_Happen_Today) in 2008.

A recommendation also for 'The Catherine Wheel' which fits nicely into the 'Remain in Light' / '...Bush of Ghosts' phase.

Yes, I guess I will start for TH77 and afterwards the other two!At the moment I just have the RIL.
You are taking the same route as myself. I got RIL in early 1981 and then went backwards. If you buy in you will get all their albums. Speaking In Tongues as I also mentioned up thread is excellent but is very much a must also.
MSABAF whilst excellent is very much of its time. I don't play it very often but always return to RIL and SIT. Fear of Music with I Zimbra, Mind, Cities, Paper, Life During Wartime, Electricity(Drugs), Heaven etc is a fantastic album.
As others have advised you will have to get The Name of This Band is Talking Heads. It is a must have also. Then there is the Warner Bros Music Show. Bleeding excellent. I paid £35 way back in the day for what turned out to be a counterfeit.

As TonyL advised check out Youtube. Rockpalaast, Live in Rome, New York shows. Full concerts of RIL.

I bought today "The name of this band is Talking Heads" live. It has the first four álbuns so I wonder if I should stay for here now, or do I need the other first three first records?I have RIL since yesterday!

I bought today "The name of this band is Talking Heads" live. It has the first four álbuns so I wonder if I should stay for here now, or do I need the other first three first records?I have RIL since yesterday!
No I suggest listen and get to know them. If they float your boat start padding out with the others. TNOTBITH is a great live document of that period. Stop making Sense covers Speaking in Tongues and the next incarnation of the big band. Adrian Belew and Busta Jones are gone and also Dolette Mcdonald / sometimes Nona Hendryx are replaced by Lyn Maybury and Ednah Holt for the SIT tour. Dolette Mcdonald ended up with Sting and I am sure some others. There is a video on Youtube of Lyn Maybury coming out to sing a track with George Michael on one of his tours.
Back to Life. She has a great voice. But unfortunately no more TH tours after SMS.

Like many others have said the first 4 are all excellent. SIde 2 of Remain in Light is my favourite with Eno's beautiful soundscapes displacing the edginess the band previously had. The later albums have their moments but are a bit tame.

Talking Heads 1979 episode of The South Bank Show is currently on 'catch up' Sky Arts Channel, along with a host of other musician episodes.

It's a fabulous album (and I prefer it to Stop Making Sense), but worth mentioning that the studio recordings of some of those songs ("Drugs", "The Geat Curve") are very different.

I have just been listening to "Fear of Music" and it took me back to when I brought home the vinyl album, it sounded great with heavy influences from Eno
I might go and buy the re mastered version if it has some extras

If I was only allowed to own one single TH album it would be the ‘The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads’ live album. The versions of ‘Memories’ and ‘Take me to the river’ imho significantly exceed their equivalent studio versions but to name but two.

To keep this going Naked contains Nothing But Flowers, Blind, Mister Jones, Totally Nude(My Favourite) and Democratic Circus. Most of the other tracks all have merit. Any other band and this album would be highly regarded. As a swansong as they were drifting apart it is strong album well worth acquiring.

I have just been listening to "Fear of Music" and it took me back to when I brought home the vinyl album, it sounded great with heavy influences from Eno
I might go and buy the re mastered version if it has some extras

Fear of Music is my favourite Talking Heads album. I've heard that the 2013 Rhino remastered vinyl sounds excellent, but I'm happy with my original kick a**e "porky prime cut".

I saw them at the Hammersmith Palais in 1979 on The Fear of Music tour, and the following year at the Hammersmith Odeon on the Remain in Light tour.

Well, I bought today Talking Heads : 77 the first álbum. Great álbum!It is very diferente from the live version!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back