advertisement

Any Innuos users here?

Try dbpoweramp for ripping sticky disks via a PC/Laptop, then transfer to the Innous/NAS or where you keep the music

Good call. I had this issue in reverse. A Billie Rae Martin Cd wouldn't play in my CDS3. Ripped perfectly to the Innuos. I had more of an issue with CDs not being identified initially after being ripped, but once I’d sussed getting the metadata re scanned in the Innuos software, all was well.

So what do any folks make of this scenario. Innuos Zen (Mk 1 I suppose you would call it).

It starts, rips disks and so on. LMS works and I can run . I can of course see it on the network if I log into the router to have a look.

BUT My.innuos.com does not work - it comes back and reports that 'no server found on the network'. Anything obvious i need to do?

Try dbpoweramp for ripping sticky disks via a PC/Laptop, then transfer to the Innous/NAS or where you keep the music

Thanks for the tip. At present I'm 'fixing' discs which won't rip, by recording them to a CD-RW 'Audio' disc on my Yamaha CDR then ripping the results. It has worked for a few so far.

Another interesting little development. I was able to install Orange Squeeze on my phone too, as I fancied the optiion of using that too for control. However, the app on my phone can't find my server. Very odd.

Make sure you have wifi "enabled" on your phone.

Lots of debate on FLAC v WAV online. I have no opinion, but I I have more than enough storage to experiment.
If you rip to WAV you will need to be relatively sophisticated to associate metadata with the files. I would rip to FLAC and then (if necessary) you can bulk decode the files.

FWLIW I rip to FLAC and am unable to discern a difference between the FLAC and the WAV whenever I have checked..

Relatively sophisticated..:eek: That's me buggered then.. :D

But seriously.. yep, I got that impression. I also think I saw something about 'transcoding files somewhere .. must try to find it again.

For now, I'm just concentrating on getting everything ripped. I then have some data editing to do.. the system does seem to find some really odd covers. One disc.. haven't ID'd what it is yet.. has everything in Polish. And a 6 track .E.P. of Lorraine Ellison comes up as something completely different.

Last job will be to rip a load of things which don't have any metadata. So long as I can add a disc title I'll be happy.

One minor criticism of the Innuos. There doesn't seem to be much to 'guide' the CD as it is pushed in. If it's not perfectly level, and sloping slightly 'uphill', it seems to catch on something on the way in.

Also, there's the warning in the manual not to force the disc in... so it's a case of slowly pushing the disc in until it gets 'grabbed' by the mech.

Bit of a knack to it.

There is a free metadata editor in the Innuos suite. Otherwise, the simplest utility I know of is MP3tag which will handle all the edits and additions to the metadata you could ever need in a relatively idiot-proof fashion, which is why I like it. MP3tag is free and will handle metadata changes for FLACs. So if, for example you have the wrong artwork, simply google up the correct artwork and save it as a file called folder.jpg in the directory containing the FLACs. You can then use the 'add cover' button to change the artwork for as many of the tracks as you want. All the other metadata changes are done by typing into fields. MP3tag is also absolutely free.

FWIW, and I really don't know anything about this.. a friend just gave me a reprint from. 'Practical Web User', which details how 'Ashampoo Music Studio' is now free to download, having previously been priced at £25. On the face of it, this looks like a useful download which will enable full editing/organising of CD based music in all the usual formats... including WAV and FLAC
.. along with the abiltiy to to add/edit metadata etc.etc.

I'm seeing this as a 'possible' for sorting out the many 'non standard' CD's I have.

There is a free metadata editor in the Innuos suite. Otherwise, the simplest utility I know of is MP3tag which will handle all the edits and additions to the metadata you could ever need in a relatively idiot-proof fashion, which is why I like it. MP3tag is free and will handle metadata changes for FLACs. So if, for example you have the wrong artwork, simply google up the correct artwork and save it as a file called folder.jpg in the directory containing the FLACs. You can then use the 'add cover' button to change the artwork for as many of the tracks as you want. All the other metadata changes are done by typing into fields. MP3tag is also absolutely free.

Even at this early stage, I've managed to use this to change cover art on some albums. Some with inappropriate labels etc., stuck all over them, etc. With some others, I simply can't find the original album art and have tried using 'upload local image', but so far without success.

I'm sure I'll get there...

Even at this early stage, I've managed to use this to change cover art on some albums. Some with inappropriate labels etc., stuck all over them, etc. With some others, I simply can't find the original album art and have tried using 'upload local image', but so far without success.

I'm sure I'll get there...

I reckon about 85% to 90% of my CDs ripped in WAV without any issues and with artwork and track data all in place. For the odd ones that didn't include the data, it was easy enough to update that manually.

I appreciate your input GT and as I said above, I will experiment with WAV later. For now, I'm just trying to get my head around basic operation. A couple of things are intriguing and frustrating in equal measure.

1.I can 'see' my Zen mini from my PC and interrogate and edit the music library from PC. This is useful as I find any 'keyboard' operation far easier with a full size keyboard c.f. a tablet. However, I can find no way of controlling replay from the PC. It's not a major deal.. but it confuses me.

2. For replay, I'm using a cheap unbranded tablet which cost me about £40 a couple of years ago. As with a lot of Chinese cheapy stuff, it really is the case that the Chinese 2000 year headstart in working with paper really tells, and the box is better finished than the tablet which comes with it. However.. I digress.. The tablet runs KitKat 4.4. It works very well at controlling the music via Orange Squeeze, and I can watch the progress of rips by connecting directly to the server via 'my Innuos'. But, and annoyingly.. the tablet seems to disconnect from 'Innuos' and wi-fi, if left alone for a few seconds. It takes a few seconds then to go into 'wi-fi settings' and re-connect, which it does on command.. only to drop off again if not constantly refreshed by touching the screen. Being a self confessed IT Dummy, I'm not sure whether this is a setting or somesuch on the tablet, or a feature/setting in Innuos. The tablet does not behave like this when connected to wi fi for general browsing.

Any tips much appreciated.

Reactions: GT
I appreciate your input GT and as I said above, I will experiment with WAV later. For now, I'm just trying to get my head around basic operation. A couple of things are intriguing and frustrating in equal measure.

1.I can 'see' my Zen mini from my PC and interrogate and edit the music library from PC. This is useful as I find any 'keyboard' operation far easier with a full size keyboard c.f. a tablet. However, I can find no way of controlling replay from the PC. It's not a major deal.. but it confuses me.

2. For replay, I'm using a cheap unbranded tablet which cost me about £40 a couple of years ago. As with a lot of Chinese cheapy stuff, it really is the case that the Chinese 2000 year headstart in working with paper really tells, and the box is better finished than the tablet which comes with it. However.. I digress.. The tablet runs KitKat 4.4. It works very well at controlling the music via Orange Squeeze, and I can watch the progress of rips by connecting directly to the server via 'my Innuos'. But, and annoyingly.. the tablet seems to disconnect from 'Innuos' and wi-fi, if left alone for a few seconds. It takes a few seconds then to go into 'wi-fi settings' and re-connect, which it does on command.. only to drop off again if not constantly refreshed by touching the screen. Being a self confessed IT Dummy, I'm not sure whether this is a setting or somesuch on the tablet, or a feature/setting in Innuos. The tablet does not behave like this when connected to wi fi for general browsing.

Any tips much appreciated.

1. You just need install an LMS client or controller for Windows (or whatever OS you are running). Have a look into SqueezeLite.
2. The Zen Mini has absolutely no control over the WiFi connectivity on your tablet. I would be looking for a setting on the tablet, probably something to do with power saving.

OK thanks for that Andy... I've fixed the display 'sleep'. It remains to be seen whether it will still continue to drop off wi-fi.

1. You just need install an LMS client or controller for Windows (or whatever OS you are running). Have a look into SqueezeLite.
2. The Zen Mini has absolutely no control over the WiFi connectivity on your tablet. I would be looking for a setting on the tablet, probably something to do with power saving.

OK, thanks. I'll look into it. Have looked at wi-fi settings and it is already set to 'keep wi-fi on during sleep'.. so we'll see how it behaves later when I carry on ripping.

advertisement

Back