advertisement

Confused (a little)

Hi,

I don't think there is a perfect solution to the "Best HiFi".

I have three complete amp systems, Linn, Naim and Quad valve, four different speaker systems, Linn and Shahinian with the sources being both vinyl LP12 and Axis and digital Linn DS's.

They all sound excellent, but on some music one system can sound really good then play a different type of music and it can sound either boring, bass heavy or too bright.

As a very general view I would make the following observations on the equipment I have.

Linn very accurate but sometimes a bit boring, maybe just too revealing of the music source?
Naim fast and fun, makes most types of music sound good, sound stage maybe a bit out front and confused, has a unique sound that some love and some don't, never boring.
Quad, very laid back, has a warmth Linn and Naim don't have, great on less complex music, female vocals are magical, not for rock music though.

This does not take into account equipment I have had before, which over the past 50 years is rather a lot.

However that is my opinion, many will have different ideas.

Cheers

John

Last edited:
So... which of the above is right? Or are both wrong? Sorry, but if you have to change the amp in your system to avoid headaches.. something.. or possibly everything.. is seriously wrong.

I will say this again. The 'mood', whether it be calm or frenetic, should be.. and in fact IS in the music. If you need amps etc., to make you boogie, or to calm you down.. then you really aren't understanding the power of music.

Well, if you read again I did not suggest anyone to change the amp to escape from headaches. However, there is nothing wrong when people make that move which can be rather common if you peruse the threads here, especially those who had moved from Naim to other amps which are able to provide a smoother or calmer presentation.

I would disagree with what you had written in your 2nd paragraph.

My quest to downsize didn't really work.

... Rotel RCD965 ... Ok but not enough get up and go and a bit 'vague' ... but am unsure about the CD ...

I think I've decided I do quite like the Naim mid bass thing.

I have the 965BX Limited Editon version and can't fault it for the above, or anything else. simply fabulous, even more so when considering its vintage :)

Well, if you read again I did not suggest anyone to change the amp to escape from headaches. However, there is nothing wrong when people make that move which can be rather common if you peruse the threads here, especially those who had moved from Naim to other amps which are able to provide a smoother or calmer presentation.

Crossed purposes I think. I would of course not criticise anyone for changing the(single) amp in their system if they found it fatiguing to listen to. As you rightly observe.. this seems to happen frequently with Naim. I have my own theories about why that is... But what you seemed to be saying was that you yourself swap amps according to the sound you want. Not everyone wants to do that, or can afford to have multiple amps lying about.

I would disagree with what you had written in your 2nd paragraph.

You are entitled to disagree, but I really can't see why? Music itself is calm, or smooth, or rough, or frenetic, or plodding, according to what it is and how it is played and, to some extent, how it is recorded. The job of the system is surely to reproduce the music with 'high fidelity'.. i.e with a high degree of faithfulness to the original sound. Any kit which can be heard to change the sound by adding its own signature, is arguably not hi-fi.

advertisement

Back