advertisement

Fixed level headphone amplifier, or head amp with remote volume

hi-fi132

pfm Member
I'm going back to a pre/power setup, likely with a Musical Fidelity M8 Pre due to the flexibility such a setup allows over an integrated amp. The issue is that I use headphones a lot, but my rack isn't located such that I can get easy access to the volume control of a headphone amp. Ideally I'm looking for a headphone amp with a fixed level input so that I can drive it directly via the output of the preamp, thus using the preamp to attenuate the volume. The alternative would be a head amp with a remote volume control. So far I've been unable to find something suitable, as most amps have a volume control without a remote function, and would be overloaded by the input of a preamp. I would be grateful for any recommendations as of suitable amps that might work.

It really doesn't matter if a headphone amp (not a head amp, which is something entirely different) has a volume control or not. Just set the vol on the headphone amp to full (or a setting that gives a comfortable vol range) and leave it there whilst you control vol from the main pre amp. You will of course need more than one set of pre outs on the pre amp or a pair of "Y" leads with phono plug on one end and two phono sockets on the other.

A possible caveat is that when the power amp or headphone amp are turned off some units can present a non linear impedance to the pre amp and cause distortion.... if you have this problem then a solution to this would be a "SP19 4 way audio control" or similar used in reverse so that the pre output can be switched to either headphone amp OR power amp.

I'm going back to a pre/power setup, likely with a Musical Fidelity M8 Pre due to the flexibility such a setup allows over an integrated amp. The issue is that I use headphones a lot, but my rack isn't located such that I can get easy access to the volume control of a headphone amp. Ideally I'm looking for a headphone amp with a fixed level input so that I can drive it directly via the output of the preamp, thus using the preamp to attenuate the volume. The alternative would be a head amp with a remote volume control. So far I've been unable to find something suitable, as most amps have a volume control without a remote function, and would be overloaded by the input of a preamp. I would be grateful for any recommendations as of suitable amps that might work.

Why would it be overloaded by the preamp? In theory a preamp can be used to attenuate (reduce) the output voltage to any level you want.

... In theory a preamp can be used to attenuate (reduce) the output voltage to any level you want.
That is in fact its usual function, taking 1V+ line level down to tens of millivolts which the fixed gain +28dB or so power amp boosts back up to Volts to drive the load. How often do you really want/need more than 2-3V (~85-90dB typically in real-world loudspeakers) at the power amp outputs? My NAD will deliver 60W@8ohms from 0.85V input.

It really doesn't matter if a headphone amp (not a head amp, which is something entirely different) has a volume control or not. Just set the vol on the headphone amp to full (or a setting that gives a comfortable vol range) and leave it there whilst you control vol from the main pre amp. You will of course need more than one set of pre outs on the pre amp or a pair of "Y" leads with phono plug on one end and two phono sockets on the other.

A possible caveat is that when the power amp or headphone amp are turned off some units can present a non linear impedance to the pre amp and cause distortion.... if you have this problem then a solution to this would be a "SP19 4 way audio control" or similar used in reverse so that the pre output can be switched to either headphone amp OR power amp.

You're right of course in the use of the term 'head amp', laziness on my part. I hadn't given thought to the fact that the headphone amp or power amp may present impedance issues however so this is certainly something to consider.

Why would it be overloaded by the preamp? In theory a preamp can be used to attenuate (reduce) the output voltage to any level you want.

Valid point. It was suggested to me that this may be the case, perhaps something to do with the gain of the active preamp? But thinking about it maybe it's not actually an issue.

5e5570_147268502a974e3a9283c7d126e93940~mv2_d_3000_2000_s_2.jpg

https://www.eliteaudiouk.com/product-page/manley-absolute-headphone-amplifier

"...included Radio Frequency remote control..."

I want to add something like "simples" or "sorted", but that would be ghastly.

Burson make several headphone amps with remote control. If headphones are your primary interest, then perhaps use a headphone amp with pre and remote capability. If you don't require too many inputs then a Burson Conductor V2 or V2+ may be worth a look.

I would argue against this. Volume controls typically add noise to a circuit. It's more sensible to avoid adding additional volume controls where possible. I have a Musical Fidelity M1-HPAp connected to the preouts of my Audiolab 8300a and the amount of hiss added to the sound is unacceptable. Can anyone suggest a headphone amp with a fixed level input. Do these exist? If not, why not? So many amps these days seem to be omitting lineouts and replacing them with preouts.

I would argue against this. Volume controls typically add noise to a circuit. It's more sensible to avoid adding additional volume controls where possible. I have a Musical Fidelity M1-HPAp connected to the preouts of my Audiolab 8300a and the amount of hiss added to the sound is unacceptable. Can anyone suggest a headphone amp with a fixed level input. Do these exist? If not, why not? So many amps these days seem to be omitting lineouts and replacing them with preouts.

Presumably because that's what the market is currently demanding. Lots of folk now simply have headphones plus a pair of active desktop speakers and want to be able to use the one amp for both. I personally would like both line-outs and pre-outs to be mandatory on all preamps and headphone amps, even if it adds a few pounds to the retail price.

if you have this problem then a solution to this would be a "SP19 4 way audio control" or similar used in reverse so that the pre output can be switched to either headphone amp OR power amp.

I use one of these to switch between a couple of different power amp and speaker set ups and it works fine with no degradation to the sound.

Volume controls do not add noise when at full volume and at any other vol setting it is below audibility.

advertisement

Back