advertisement

Food Dehydrators

I do hope you’re having fun, Steve.
Yeah, loads thanks. My pal was round on Saturday and we spent half the afternoon trying to fix a fault on his van’s central locking. Meanwhile the dog was having a MUCH better time in the garden, chasing balls, being played with, the works.

Any suggestions for a specific food dehydrator given I’ve said what it will be used for? My wife is looking for a cheapish one to start with in case the idea doesn’t work out.
No. I don’t. I’d buy dried foods if they were available and suitable, and I’d dry anything else in a fan oven set low.

Ive used one for drying citrus as garnishes to cocktails. These days it is easier to buy citrus dried. Our dehydrator ended up at the skip with the ice cube maker, and the bread maker

Wasnt there something about drying meat (jerky) and temp that one should be careful. From memory there were issues, that domestic dehydrators would raise the temperature enough to kill of bacterial stuff......

Here https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...at-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/CT_Index

https://www.livestrong.com/article/556924-how-to-preserve-dehydrated-meat/

Search google for "bacterial growth during home meat dehydration". Whether this will have an impact on what you produce for pooch who knows - just go into this with open eyes - you wouldnt want to make pooch ill in search of the perfect diet for pooch.

Ive used one for drying citrus as garnishes to cocktails. These days it is easier to buy citrus dried. Our dehydrator ended up at the skip with the ice cube maker, and the bread maker

Wasnt there something about drying meat (jerky) and temp that one should be careful. From memory there were issues, that domestic dehydrators would raise the temperature enough to kill of bacterial stuff......

Here https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...at-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/CT_Index

https://www.livestrong.com/article/556924-how-to-preserve-dehydrated-meat/

Search google for "bacterial growth during home meat dehydration". Whether this will have an impact on what you produce for pooch who knows - just go into this with open eyes - you wouldnt want to make pooch ill in search of the perfect diet for pooch.
Grateful for that, I’ll make sure my wife reads it.

Edit: She has read the info at both links now. Many thanks, very useful.

Yeah, loads thanks. My pal was round on Saturday and we spent half the afternoon trying to fix a fault on his van’s central locking. Meanwhile the dog was having a MUCH better time in the garden, chasing balls, being played with, the works.

No. I don’t. I’d buy dried foods if they were available and suitable, and I’d dry anything else in a fan oven set low.
So trolling then. Good for you.

So trolling then. Good for you.
No, not trolling at all. You really are an obnoxious individual. I give you constructive advice saying that you probably won't use it, later I go on to say that I would buy the dried food or make it in an oven if I were so minded. In response you, the arch troll who has as many friends here as a steak tartare in a vegan restaurant, accuse ME of being a troll. After your antics on the other thread I was ignoring your nonsense, however with this thread I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. That was a mistake. No more. Do enjoy your trolling, I won't be wasting any more time on your shit.

No, not trolling at all. You really are an obnoxious individual. I give you constructive advice saying that you probably won't use it, later I go on to say that I would buy the dried food or make it in an oven if I were so minded. In response you, the arch troll who has as many friends here as a steak tartare in a vegan restaurant, accuse ME of being a troll. After your antics on the other thread I was ignoring your nonsense, however with this thread I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. That was a mistake. No more. Do enjoy your trolling, I won't be wasting any more time on your shit.

Thought I would come back to this as I was on the move earlier.

Really sorry Steve, but you haven’t posted a decent word to me since I was critical of sugar and of the food industry quite a few years ago now. Can’t say I expect anything civil from you nowadays and I anticipated a thread crap when I saw you had posted. Maybe I’m wrong but it looks like trolling to me.

As far as being obnoxious goes, you should have noticed my replies to others have been entirely polite. Ask yourself why I perceive your posts as trolling.

What ‘antics’ are you on about on the ‘other thread’? Do you mean the one where I disagree with hard-remainers?

Last edited:
:)

Interesting. We prefer not to give our puppy processed rubbish such as kibble for cats. There is also more to it than the food being raw rather than some kind of mush.

I think that you need to get educated - take a look at the feed guidelines online, produced for the European pet food manufacturing industry. You have not one hope in hell of fulfilling a dog's real dietary needs using some random selection of bits and pieces of raw this and that. As for chewing exercise - you feed great lumps of raw food then? Unless you do, or fit one of those neck rings like the Chinese fit to their tame cormorants, no Lab' is ever going to chew anything much smaller than a tennis ball.

Good quality complete dog food, either wet in a tin or semi-moist, or dried is FAR safer than a random selection. Some dogs prefer complete dry food, dry, some slightly soaked, some even comes with a dry gravy in irt so you add water and hey presto - complete wet food, in chunks in gravy. Noah was one of the last to feed dogs random bits and bobs. Be careful with oily fish too - that can cause vitamin deficiencies...…………………..

We fed our dog on raw food, landywoods do a good selection his fav was a raw turkey leg, but other wise raw chicken wings, and various minced meats and meats with mixed veg isn’t here as well.

my step brother brought round the occasional rabbit which he devoured hair un all!

As for training treats I used to blend liver with a load of garlic but that was cooked chilled and cut into bits

I think that you need to get educated - take a look at the feed guidelines online, produced for the European pet food manufacturing industry. You have not one hope in hell of fulfilling a dog's real dietary needs using some random selection of bits and pieces of raw this and that. As for chewing exercise - you feed great lumps of raw food then? Unless you do, or fit one of those neck rings like the Chinese fit to their tame cormorants, no Lab' is ever going to chew anything much smaller than a tennis ball.

Good quality complete dog food, either wet in a tin or semi-moist, or dried is FAR safer than a random selection. Some dogs prefer complete dry food, dry, some slightly soaked, some even comes with a dry gravy in irt so you add water and hey presto - complete wet food, in chunks in gravy. Noah was one of the last to feed dogs random bits and bobs. Be careful with oily fish too - that can cause vitamin deficiencies...…………………..
Not sure I said anything about the food being random, what I said was she has a natural, raw diet.

See https://paleoridgeraw.uk/ for where we source her food. We augment it with raw fish, liver and a variety of meaty bones, including marrow-bones from the local farm shop. We add stock to her food made from bones and pigs trotters. We weigh everything. Her health is fine, she is getting what she needs.

By the way, she chews stuff smaller than tennis balls all the time. Point I was making was they need to chew rather gulp down a bowl of kibble in a few seconds.

Rob it was 3 cloves of garlic in a kilo of liver cooked thoroughly in the oven. No doubt if you feed a dog a load of raw garlic it will get the shits, pretty much like humans would.

It's OK Gary, it's just one of my trigger things. My mates dog died of chocolate poisoning when we were kids, so I'm perhaps a little over sensitive about it, and try to make sure my dog doesn't get fed stuff like choccy, alliums, grapes etc, etc. She would definitely eat every bloody thing that even vaguely resembles food (and plenty that doesn't :eek:) given a chance. Apologies.

Why do dogs eat other animals shit? And if not eating it, rolling in it?

My dogs scour the garden tfirst thing in the morning to see if the cats have been lazy about their choice of dump site during the night.

Why do dogs eat other animals shit? And if not eating it, rolling in it?

My dogs scour the garden tfirst thing in the morning to see if the cats have been lazy about their choice of dump site during the night.
Our Lab likes rolling in fox poo at the farm.

One of our previous Labradors liked to grab a bit of horse poo to keep her energy levels up when out while the other would just walk on by. Individuals.

My wife ordered a food dehydrator, it arrives today.

Cheers all

advertisement

Back