advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Very elegant! Someone was showing me a '60s Tudor equivalent yesterday - in fact, when he produced it I referred to it as "Tudor's Air King" - and we were commenting that on the right leather strap it would make for a superb dress watch.

Only the strap is plastic, the case is polished sapphire crystal. There are versions made from blue or yellow sapphire crystal for an extra £22k if you prefer. Or a round case in red sapphire crystal?

I've never been keen on that Cyclops lense over the date window.

A lovely watch totally spoiled by that dreadful cyclopean date lens .

I thought that before I bought it but actually I don't mind.

My other main watch is a similar style, 34mm with a date from the late '90s.....The IWC 3521 Ingenieur.

The JLC movement in this is superb, when I wear it regularly, I tend to get less than +/- 2s/day which is pretty good I think. The Rolex on the other hand, might need a service as its closer to +/- 8s/day at the moment.

IWC
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Very elegant! Someone was showing me a '60s Tudor equivalent yesterday - in fact, when he produced it I referred to it as "Tudor's Air King" - and we were commenting that on the right leather strap it would make for a superb dress watch.
I'm guessing it was a Tudor Prince? They are very good value, same Oyster case as the Rolex versions just with the cheaper movement(s), although I believe older 'Precision' Air-Kings used the same movement as they were the 'entry' model.

A lovely watch totally spoiled by that dreadful cyclopean date lens.

Dark-Formal-Australiansilkyterrier-small.gif

I'm guessing it was a Tudor Prince? They are very good value, same Oyster case as the Rolex versions just with the cheaper movement(s), although I believe older 'Precision' Air-Kings used the same movement as they were the 'entry' model.

Yep, exactly that. ETA movement "Rolex".

I'm pretty sure Air-King has always used a signed movement, it's just not "Certified".

I've never been keen on that Cyclops lense over the date window.

A lovely watch totally spoiled by that dreadful cyclopean date lens .

I always had the view that's quite a clever marketing move.

Without it the chances of their core demographic - middle aged lads with deteriorating eyesight (i.e. us) - being able to actually read the date reduce dramatically :)

Yeah, my mum literally has no interest in mechanical watches. The watch I'd like to buy her is one of these two Baume & Mercier quartz watches, but unless one of them drop below £1K, she'll be getting something else.

MOA10490 (27mm)
2-089-03-0023.jpg

M110374 (31mm)
0110374-0-ProductX

What the hell was I thinking? My mum's not into watches in the slightest so me spending £1K on a Baume & Mercier ladies watch would have been a complete waste of money as she'd have been perfectly happy with a nice Daniel Wellington, Fossil or a Gucci watch that cost £50. Heck, she'd have been happy with a £5 knock off from The Barras - that's how not into watches my mum is lol. I mean, even if I'd bought her an expensive Omega or a JLC she'd have just looked at it and went, "Oh thanks, Son, that's nice," and then went back to watching Coronation Street lol. Seriously, the only brand of watches that would make her go wow is Rolex... so I've bought her this 31mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

m177200-0009.png

Although the pink markers look proper Essex-Pink in the pictures, I'm pleased to say they're not too bad in real life. And being 31mm, the proportions should be suitable for my mum who's a long way from Essex - both in terms of her sense of fashion as well as geographical proximity.

As you can probably imagine, I've gone way over budget here. But when I reflect on the fact that my mum has given me this, that and everything throughout my life - I guess that's what mums do: give, give, give - I reckon she deserves a treat of the highest order because my mum's like L'Oréal... she's worth it :)

@windhoek that’s a nice watch, hope she loves it! My wife has the one with blue markers; imilar situation to yours, but she really liked this one for some reason.

That's nice. Hard to go wrong with those simple Rolexes.

You have gone over budget but I assure you that this is a better deal than spending 1,000 pounds on a B&M or any other similar watch. The B&M will hardly retain its value while I doubt you will have the same issue with this Rolex.

Value is something I'd considered - especially when I saw a 9-year-old second-hand version for sale at £2,600 in Chisolm Hunter. Although my mum's watch will almost certainly never be worth more than a new version, as long as Rolex keeps increasing prices it'll eventually be worth more than its cost at the time of purchase. The other to mention on the point of value is that it's something she can pass on to my sister's side of the family when the time comes so we'll all get a tickle from it, as it were: I got a tickle when I bought it as Watches of Switzerland rolled out the hospitality machine when I said I'm here to pick up an Oyster Perpetual and obviously, I'll feel good when I give it to my mum.

The only snag is, it isn't my mum's birthday till 22nd September and, what with me being a cyclist in Glasgow, a cyclist who's used up 3 of his 9 lives in cycling collisions, and she being nearly 70, I'd hate for one of us to not live that long lol. In fact, I'm already thinking about driving up and give her the watch today. Patience, Derek. Patience.

My new 'daily'.

SKW6579_main

Well under £100.. so one to be worn daily without worry. My previous Skagen.. bought by Mrs Mull... has a broken strap which screws to the case and is no longer available.

Meanwhile.. a cautionary tale....

I took my Rado Ceramica into Goldsmiths in Liverpool to get a new battery fitted. They don't do them in house but send them away and they are supposedly fitted with a new battery, checked over.. new seals, pressure test and an ultrasonic clean of the case and strap.

So.. personable young chap handled the deal.. told me my Rado was a 'beautiful ' watch etc. We had a pleasant chat. I mentioned the very finest of marks visible on the strap, where it can contact surfaces like table tops etc... definitely only visible in a certain light and there were NO scratches or other damage whatever to the watch. Otherwise, the watch is immaculate and only ever worn for 'best'.

Anyway.. the lad was taking his time and I mentioned I was meeting friends.. so signed the receipt for the watch and left, with in fact a total of three receipts.

Was only a couple of days later when I looked closely and found that the lad had completed the receipt small print to read:

'Scratches on Glass? YES'
'Condition of watch? WORN'
'Scratches on Bracelet? YES'
'Scratches on Bezel? YES'

I went ballistic and called the shop immediately. Spoke to the manager and pointed out to him that it was completely out of order for this lad to make such judgements and such comments without any negotiation with me and without even pointing out to me that he had done so. Manager agreed. I told him that if there was any additional damage whetever to my prized watch on return, I would be demanding recompense.

I think I made myself understood.

And yes.. OK.. I should have fully read the receipt before signing it... but there's still an issue of trust here.

I will report the outcome.

Went into Patek Philippe in London's New Bond Street to find out how much an Aquanaut is. I was told they no longer make them. I bought a secondhand one in New York in 2004 for £8,500. I sold it four years later for the same amount to a shop in Burlington Arcade.

Burlington is close to Bond Street, so I popped down there to see how much a secondhand Aquanaut is. I found one in a shop, went inside and asked the price - it was £46,500 !

Had a chat with the shop owner and he said the prices of secondhand upmarket watches have gone mental in the last few years.

He also had a mint condition Rolex Great Hulk for £14,500. "Introduced in 2010 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Rolex's legendary dive watch, the "Hulk" marks the first time in Rolex history that the Submariner has been offered with any dial color other than black or blue."

Might keep my eye out for one of them in a year or two's time.

Jack

ftlDVnM.jpg

7XxO9PM.jpg

Last edited:
Not worn a watch since my teens, but just bought an Apple Watch. Watch, compass, alarm, distance tracker and no more fumbling in pocket for phone, and usually cancelling the call, when the phone rings. Love it

Sorry.. but I just don't like any watch which has curving lugs. There's no logic.. I just don't like them. I don't care who made them,..what they cost etc. I just do not like them.

So that's no curved or swept lugs for me.

Clear?

Right...

advertisement

Back