advertisement

Speakers for Denon D-M41DAB (also known as RCD-M41DAB)

1964meb

pfm Member
Hi fishes

My friend is buying one of those as a toe into hifi (ish) music at home. He has a modest budget and it has to look neat and tidy (ie one small box of tricks that does what he wants)

my friend and I have discussed the importance of speaker stands, positioning, set up and that I think the speakers sold with that system could easily be improved upon for less than tha £100 +/- charged for them. I have a 20+ year old denon box in my bedroom with KEF coda 2 speakers. I believe the KEFs are a bit dull but were definitely an improvement on what denon were selling with that denon box at the time.

I have suggested a s/h pair of B + W dm 601 speakers which can be picked up for £80 and are knockout for the money (IMO). I have listened to the B + W dm601 speakers before (with a better front and middle end) and was blown away by that system and them.

Any other suggestions for speakers for my friend's new denon box are welcome please.

Many thanks

Mike

I have some Kef Coda 7’s going spare. They’ve seen service with my Denon DM40 in the past. Replaced by some Ruark Epilogues, but sounded pretty fine.

To be fair this little unit is capable of mixing it with speakers it simply shouldn't be entitled to but at the lowest level, maybe a pair of the small Q Acoustics would do the trick.

I bought my wife one of these Denons a year ago and got her a pair of Q Acoustic 3010s (the old ones, not the "i", since they sit on a window sill and I wanted the smaller size) to go with it and they sound fine.
I tried them on the "big" system and they were surprisingly good.

I have run one with some MkI Kans and as above it does a nice job of playing music.

The digital inputs open the door to streaming and the I used the analogue input with my Rega RP3/Fono stage Mini very happily.

many thanks folk.

I am now looking for b + w dm 601 or dali zensors or Q acoustics somethings.

i dont know about those lovely looking ruark icons but will look into them now im back from my hols

regards and thanks again

mike

The Denon M41 and its many predecessors are quite remarkable in terms of sound quality and what they will drive. I don't recall how powerful they claim to be, but we've had two variants over the years and they have successfully driven just about any speaker we offered up, including Quad ESL57s and Martin Logan Summits without disgrace. I'm not suggesting speakers like that for your application, but there are many fine small speakers out there and the Denon will not be the limiting factor. Our 'library' system uses some old JPW speakers, and we have some Q Acoustics 3020s which do a fine job for very little money too.

A Chromecast audio plugged into my Denons digital optical input sounds very respectable into my Q-acoustics. Wharfedale diamond 220's sound fab too..Richers are doing them for £99

advertisement

Back