advertisement

Roon I’ve tried it and....

Works fine for me running ExpressVPN on both Mac (Roon endpoint) and iPhone (Roon controller) so perhaps not all VPNs (or implementations of them) are a problem?

you have done well they state it does not work, certainly not on openvpn as I say ZeroTier is a way round it (and totally excellent)

Spotify will never be added to Roon imo.
Never is a big statement. One of them has to change their position on the integration in the Roon UI. Not happening now, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. But the truth is that Roon is pretty much an audiophile program, and Tidal and Qobuz are more suited for the Roon market, as they have CD or better quality, unlike Spotify.

Playing devil’s advocate, because there’s no aural difference between MP3 and CD.

Sorry but there absolutely is and it's documented and measurable.

Can we just leave this to (yet) another thread on the compression debate please? This thread is quite useful as it stands and does not stand to benefit by being derailed into a discussion on the pros and cons of MP3.

I tried Roon because I needed gapless playback with convolution filters to a Linn DS. It does this perfectly. Although I had all my metadata really well organized and its sometimes annoying when Roon thinks it has better ideas, I think I would miss Roon now just for all its extra information such as album descriptions, lyrics and cross references to related artists.

I tried Roon because I needed gapless playback with convolution filters to a Linn DS. It does this perfectly. Although I had all my metadata really well organized and its sometimes annoying when Roon thinks it has better ideas, I think I would miss Roon now just for all its extra information such as album descriptions, lyrics and cross references to related artists.

It’s pretty easy to revert to the original meta data for an individual album.

As far as I'm aware, it has to be done on an album-by-album basis?

That’s the way I’ve done it - which is why I said ‘an individual album’. I don’t know if it’s possible to select a number of albums and change them all.

The frustration I have is with the composer field. I have a large number of variations on ‘ J S Bach’ that I’d like to be the same, but can’t find an easy way of doing it.

That’s the way I’ve done it - which is why I said ‘an individual album’. I don’t know if it’s possible to select a number of albums and change them all.

The frustration I have is with the composer field. I have a large number of variations on ‘ J S Bach’ that I’d like to be the same, but can’t find an easy way of doing it.

You could use J River to standardize your tags. It’s got some good find and replace features.

I like roon and am coming up to my first year of use.

Pluses:
  • Excellent DSP features, I have barely scratched the surface and am not always sure I hear a difference, but great to have it there
  • Room grouping is great
  • So many devices and gadgets are compatible therefore we have aunified music system for the house, to play out of expensive hifi and cheap computers
  • Interface looks pretty

Minuses:
  • Internet radio is shite
  • No ripping features (A beta one is now available for those with roon rock but it does not tag (!)
  • The interface is a nightmare piece of shite to use. Side scrolling really? And on a phone its just an utter nonsense anything more than a few artists and you are going to have thumb cramp scrolling, there is no real reasoning for this, something to do with 'wanting us to discover', well the way I discover is often just to scroll through, give me a god damn scroll bar or a-z.
  • Cannot use over VPN (Can get round this with ZeroTier

The pluses outweigh the minuses for me, particularly with being able to use it on phones, pcs, mac, squeeze etc and for the interface to look identical in all cases.

It works fine over Softether VPN with standard openvpn clients here.

Internet radio is being revamped

Interface is excellent, no idea where you got that from.

I use it on a phone on a train over vpn no problem.

I can see how the side-swiping as opposed to the more usual vertical scrolling may be an issue on a small phone screen. Maybe the facility to change the amount of albums per page to view may be helpful in this respect?
Other than that, the interface makes a lot of other stuff eg Audirvana look amateurish.

I can see how the side-swiping as opposed to the more usual vertical scrolling may be an issue on a small phone screen. Maybe the facility to change the amount of albums per page to view may be helpful in this respect?
Other than that, the interface makes a lot of other stuff eg Audirvana look amateurish.

It’s asking too much to fit everything that Roon does onto a tiny phone screen. Yes, it’s useful to have as a convenience feature to access Roon in a second zone etc. but it’s meant to be used with a tablet.

It’s asking too much to fit everything that Roon does onto a tiny phone screen. Yes, it’s useful to have as a convenience feature to access Roon in a second zone etc. but it’s meant to be used with a tablet.
Personally, I find an iPhone screen fine for controlling Roon. I run the Core on a Mac, and would use that for maintenance, but there's no way I want to sit in front of a computer when listening to music. The only thing I really dislike is the aforementioned sideways swipe through album thumbnails, but I dislike that even more on the computer screen than I do the vertical swipe on the phone screen. What works for me is a list view that you can scroll through efficiently, as found on other control apps such as Naim, Yamaha and Sony streamers.

Personally, I find an iPhone screen fine for controlling Roon. I run the Core on a Mac, and would use that for maintenance, but there's no way I want to sit in front of a computer when listening to music. The only thing I really dislike is the aforementioned sideways swipe through album thumbnails, but I dislike that even more on the computer screen than I do the vertical swipe on the phone screen. What works for me is a list view that you can scroll through efficiently, as found on other control apps such as Naim, Yamaha and Sony streamers.
iPad is just fine for me, can see 18 album covers at once, read a good bit of text, and navigate easily. I’ll use my iPhone occasionally, usually for no more than starting/stopping playback. My Roon core runs on a laptop which usually has its lid shut, though as it does nothing else but run Roon core and happens to have a touch screen it can sometimes be nicer to interact with as Roon is open all the time and therefore I don’t have to switch apps to use it. The sideways swipe is horrible, and the lack of portrait mode on an iPad is surprising. But haven’t so far found anything better.

I suspect the side swiping thing is to keep it inline with other current apps.

If you've seen a teenager using instagram it's a marvel of blurred thumbs swiping left/right and up/down. I think instagram etc use a grid method so you can swipe left or right through users posts/pictures/videos etc and up or down for users.

I really don't get what the problem with side swiping/scrolling is. There is an option to 'Show more albums' that I used to use.

advertisement

Back