advertisement

Georges Simenon

PaulMB

pfm Member
Just wondering if there were any serious Simenon readers about. I've read loads of Maigrets, but none of the non-Maigret novels. Which are the must-reads? Thanks!

Ah, same boat then. I've heard or read that some of the others are very, very good. But have no idea where to start. I'll try the usual Wikipedia.

A lot of Simenon’s non Maigret novels were used in French classic movies. Great stories: Wikipedia is your friend here.

I've never read any Simenon, not sure why as I read a lot of crime fiction. I really loved the Martin Beck series of books & I would urge you to do so if you haven't.

Taken from the Guardian a couple of years ago...

“If you want to read three of his greatest books, try the deceptively light Sunday, written in 1958 about a Riviera hotel-keeper who spends a year preparing to kill his wife; try The Widow, published, like The Outsider, in 1942, and at least equal to Camus’s work in portraying a doomed and alienated life; and above all be sure to read Dirty Snow, a story of petty crime and killing at a time of collaboration in a country that remains unnamed, but which is always taken to be France under the Nazis.”

According to Andre Gide all his books are worth reading.

Taken from the Guardian a couple of years ago...

“If you want to read three of his greatest books, try the deceptively light Sunday, written in 1958 about a Riviera hotel-keeper who spends a year preparing to kill his wife; try The Widow, published, like The Outsider, in 1942, and at least equal to Camus’s work in portraying a doomed and alienated life; and above all be sure to read Dirty Snow, a story of petty crime and killing at a time of collaboration in a country that remains unnamed, but which is always taken to be France under the Nazis.”

According to Andre Gide all his books are worth reading.
Thank you! Great help!

advertisement

Back