advertisement

Tom Waits - Mojo cover

Been meaning to read the Mojo feature, which I think is by Sylvie Simmons. She has interviewed Waits a few times and has written a great book about Leonard Cohen called I'm Your Man.

Waits plays a major character in the new Jim Jarmusch movie, The Dead Don't Die. I read a somewhat dismissive review of the latter in The Guardian, but went to see it anyway.

It's fantastic until ...

As somebody mentioned, Tom Waits doesn't do many interviews. I'm glad to I got speak to him in 1987.

Jack

I too like his early work, less so things like mule variations and blood money. Mixed views on swordfish and the other Island records.

There was once a free plastic single by Tom Waits on the front of NME, being a 7 incher we played it at 45rmp when it should have been 33, he sounded just like Bruce Springsteen. Do the reverse with Bruce Springsteen and he becomes TW. They've never appeared together, just sayin.

There was once a free plastic single by Tom Waits on the front of NME, being a 7 incher we played it at 45rmp when it should have been 33, he sounded just like Bruce Springsteen. Do the reverse with Bruce Springsteen and he becomes TW. They've never appeared together, just sayin.
R-418365-1461726531-5432.jpeg.jpg

So if Bruce covered The Piano Has Been Drinking would it be as if the piano had been drinking vodka and red bull?

Excellent piece on Tom Waits Island trilogy in this months Mojo. I love his music without knowing a massive amount about him, he rarely gives interviews & is a rather opaque character. Just listened to 'Frank's Wild years' & it really is high grade genius at work.

Which issue? Current one is the Bruce cover. Can’t find a TW feature in there

*EDIT* ignore me, I see it’s next month. Presume you’ve got an early sub copy. Stopped my sub when my local rekkid shop started selling it at cost price!

Which issue? Current one is the Bruce cover. Can’t find a TW feature in there

*EDIT* ignore me, I see it’s next month. Presume you’ve got an early sub copy. Stopped my sub when my local rekkid shop started selling it at cost price!
Yes, Springsteen last month Waits this, probably got Jez all confused;)

Yes, agree 100%. I knew my ‘Waits is the only...’ comment was a bit rash at the time!

Nick Cave as well?

Joni Mitchell?

The list goes on. Regrets? I’ve had a few!
Joni Mitchell peaked about 40 years ago, can't comment on Nick Cave as he is not to my taste

Neil Young and Tom Petty did some great later work.

I’m afraid Neil Young is one of those who I’ve got quite a bit of, but never really liked much. I’d keep dipping back in because a friend would be raving about him and was all, ‘No! But this album’s really great etc’ and I’d come away unable to distinguish it from anything else.

I could say much the same about Tom Petty, but I like Tom Petty.

And therein lies the conundrum of what you like and what you don’t I suppose!!!

Any way, I’ll see your Neil Young, a raise you a Johnny Cash.

As well as Rod Stuart?, I remember TW saying that he did not mind Sir Rod covering that tune as "It paid for my swimming pool"
The Eagles covering Old 55 probably paid for a 2nd pool. The Eagles have actually kept a few songwriters in swimwear. JD Souther & Jackson Brownie with key sons on their greatest hits album.

A former night club singer who has been finding work as a passable Beefheart impersonator since 1982.

Now, that Richard Marx, there's an artist.

etc. etc.

....Just listened to 'Frank's Wild years' & it really is high grade genius at work.

The desperate, down-market Frank Sinatraesque bar singer persona on Frank's Wild Years is genius (Straight to the Top, I'll Take New York). Hard to listen to but utterly compelling.

advertisement

Back