advertisement

What were you doing when they landed on the Moon ?

Watched it on the TV at the Hotel in Falmouth we were staying at, I'd just turned 10 years old a couple of days beforehand.

Was age 11, and remember the family watching on our 21” black and white TV.

Don’t recall much from that initial viewing other than my Dad getting pretty emotional.

Reactions: vuk
I was 10 at the time and really interested in rockets and stuff. Small problem: my parents didn't have a TV (they thought TVs were bad for our ejercation). So a kindly neighbour took pity on my brother and me, and we went to her place to watch the repeat the following afternoon. Hers was a fairly basic TV with 2 telescopic aerials on the back, and I wasn't sure if the grainy picture and cruddy sound were because of her TV or because of the huge distance from the Moon. The images were hard to follow and the whole thing a bit confusing, but very exciting nevertheless.

I was on holiday in Scarborough with my girlfriend (now wife) & everyone at the boarding house stayed up to watch it. 20 years later we saw the exhibition at Cape Kennedy whilst on holiday in Florida with our 2 (then) children. The size of the Saturn 5 rocket is astonishing & I have lots of video of our visits. Returned some years later with our 3rd child for other visits by which time the exhibition had been moved from outside to under cover. Never took to the Shuttle but a work colleague got the edge on me as they unexpectedly saw a launch when they were in Florida - & he was very impressed. I am quite familiar with the routines these days as I have watched the blu-ray film Apollo 13 on a number of occasions - the launch sounds fantastic on my sub-woofer - & I always have a look at the moon when I go to bed - space is a facinating subject!

... the surface of Venus, a planet with bone-crushing atmospheric pressure and a temp so extreme that lead melts, a global experiment we're trying our best to replicate on Earth.

I'd 'like', and it could be funny - except that's exactly what is going on... :(

<+1 to Joe P>

Martin,

It amazes me that people who should know better and people who do know better are sowing seeds of doubt, spreading bullshit, derailing the tiny steps towards decarbonization, and actively resisting any effort to avoid this catastrophe in the making.

Joe

Worse than that: substantively - i.e. bounded by our present capacity, imagination, and will to un-do - the damage is done.

I was 7 at the time, and had conflicting memories of the landing, one was us driving from Scotland to my Grandparents in Sussex and fretting we might miss the landing which was around 10-11pm, we made it with around 20 minutes to spare. The second memory was being woken in the night to come down and watch it in the living room, both were so clear and yet they couldn't both be right. It was only a documentary a few years ago that cleared it up for me, there was 6 and a half hours between the landing and the first steps, so two memories, no conflict.

I was 9 and like others watched it in the school hall, if it was 4am though I'm not sure what it was we watched, presumably edited highlights? I do remember James Burke being very excited and passionate about the whole thing... tempus fugit indeed.

I love how cool Armstrong was when they landed:

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."​

Just so matter of fact about the whole thing. I'd be:

"The moon! The f***ing moon! I'm on the f***ing moon!... Wooo!! I'm off for a walk..."​

I wasn’t even a glint in the milkman’s eye. I’m finding the programmes fascinating. It’s almost more incredible that nobody has set foot on the moon since 1972.

School trip to Russia (Soviet Union). It did actually get a mention on the front page of Pravda.

advertisement

Back