advertisement

The Know it all Audiophile

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Thinking, feeling or believing in a difference is not the same as proving a difference. Do a blind abx and score 80% or better from ten or more trys and you've pretty much proved an audible difference. Manage that outside the bounds of easily measured electrical parameters and we'll be all over it, your Nobel prize will be on it's way.

come on: we all secretly enjoy cable threads. i, for one, appreciated the agreement between @booja30 and @duckworp that it's good for newbies to hear from folks explaining why different power and ethernet cables are unlikely to be beneficial.

and since Cat 8 cables can be had for the cost of a few beers, if it floats your boat to swap them in, no harm done, right? (my rational side responds that if a fancy Ethernet cable could yield better data integrity, producing same would be a multi-billion-dollar, rather than cottage, industry.)

what irks me is when manufacturers like Naim, which for nearly of its history eschewed esoteric cables, face financial pressure to jump into that pool and produce cables that cost more than some of their amps.

what irks me is when manufacturers like Naim, which for nearly of its history eschewed esoteric cables, face financial pressure to jump into that pool and produce cables that cost more than some of their amps.
It's a tiny, declining market and it's also fairly standard thought across business that it's easier to sell more stuff to your existing customers than find new customers. And, though it pains me to say it, there are good reasons why an increasing proportion of the declining number of people interested in this area are likely to be gullible (or more to the point likely to demand to be sold pointless bits of expensive wire. I can't really blame them (Naim, not the gullible- I do blame them).

As a 36 year old "audiophile" who listens to the sort of music you'd never hear at a show, or referred to in a magazine review by someone who looks like Mr. Burns spouting the same old cliches and telling you **** all useful (like how it compares to other products for example), Darko's reviews are a breath of fresh air. I watch them all, even if the product isn't really of interest. There's nobody else out there producing videos of this quality.

And this 10 page thread has pretty much proven his point by the way.

Seemingly so, next time you go to a show take your own music and ask them politely to play it, I never got refused, not once, Nirvana and massive attack through single ended triodes and large horns, woke a few people up, lol

As a 36 year old "audiophile" who listens to the sort of music you'd never hear at a show, or referred to in a magazine review by someone who looks like Mr. Burns spouting the same old cliches and telling you **** all useful (like how it compares to other products for example), Darko's reviews are a breath of fresh air. I watch them all, even if the product isn't really of interest. There's nobody else out there producing videos of this quality.

I have never, ever read a KK review I learned anything from other than his personal tastes and stuff unrelated to Hifi. I like the format of Darko’s videos and believe it’s the way forward for reviewing. It’s also probably more difficult to lie through your teeth on camera than it is in print.

Oh I'm aware requests are welcome at the less manufacturer-driven shows. What I was getting at is that there seems to be an industry standard of audiophile recordings that give me no perspective. Darko is far more relatable to me.

"Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment." - Alan Parsons

But of course - how could it not to? The 'know it all audiophile' is entirely Darko's own construction. Anything can be 'proved' like this.

Most reviews are meaningless drivel and cloaked advertising, subjective non-transferable opinions by self-appointed gurus of little practical use to the reader which do little other than fueling consumerism. Dark-0. Pitch-black zero. Nada...

Seemingly so, next time you go to a show take your own music and ask them politely to play it, I never got refused, not once, Nirvana and massive attack through single ended triodes and large horns, woke a few people up, lol
Quad didn't enjoy Skullflower through their 'statics some years ago. But then, neither did I! :D

Largely think his observations wind up exactly the sort of person in here who does quietly think they know it all. See above. Having been interested in music for 43 years I’d say he’s pretty much spot on and it only makes uncomfortable reading for those who like the elitist side of our hobby.

I've only been refused once: Kii3 + BXTs at Munich. It was late and hardly any one in the room but Mr Kii very rudely refused. He was playing the same crap (Infected Mushroom) the next day when we went back to try to hear something more recognisable. Shame, I got the impression the speakers could have been excellent.

On the other hand I have had a couple of experiences where my requested music sounded crap on their system. It's then rather embarrassing sitting through the whole track wondering if you should tell the truth or tell a white lie, when they seek approval at the end of the track.

On the other hand I have had a couple of experiences where my requested music sounded crap on their system. It's then rather embarrassing sitting through the whole track wondering if you should tell the truth or tell a white lie, when they seek approval at the end of the track.

Haha, tell the truth and shame the devil , if it sounded crap, I'd tell them, mind you if it's a crap recording or pressing, it's not really the equipments fault.

advertisement

Back