advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
any of you guitar guru types checking out prime day - strings going cheap so tempted to get a few sets for the annual (whether they need it or not) string change

Whose breakdown of classic tracks using multi-track masters has been very interesting.

He's an extremely knowledgable musician and he almost always has his videos 'demonetised'. It's becoming a problem with YT, the good people are being lumped in with the chaff, and because there so much of it people don't bother. I've unsubcribed from a few channels that I used to enjoy because there's just too much filler, Mary Spender, Crimson Guitars, some tech channels, some allotment growing channels, but Beato is not among them!

Here's some more heresy for you. I've never been a line6 person but the modelling thing has come on a long way...

Whose breakdown of classic tracks using multi-track masters has been very interesting.

I just don't agree with some of his choices of what makes the tracks "great", he seems overly fond of producer-driven ear candy.

Producer Driven Ear Candy? I catch your drift but, isn't that why some stuff just sounds better than others?

Personally I like the guy, He's doing stuff on the internet that you'd never ever see otherwise, and yes, he's full of his own pomp at times. But, who isn't?

Interesting video for those that wonder what an actual "Vintage Strat" really does sound like and how, today's mostly just don't. Perry is playing single coils through a notoriously "bright" amp and yet, not a hint of that spiky "Look at me I'm a Strat tone honest, guv". tone.

I really wish I was a youngster growing up in this era.

Think of a song that you want to learn how to play. Go on Youtube. And there you are.

This guy isn't perfect but as far as explaining the chord shapes and the fingering - he's pretty damn close and it's a really good effort with no pretensions. Love this song.

I really wish I was a youngster growing up in this era.

Think of a song that you want to learn how to play. Go on Youtube. And there you are.

Except that the way you create the next generation of new artists is to allow then to learn for themselves and develop their own playing styles complete with their own tics and foibles. Otherwise you end up with loads of people who perform exactly what's on the tab or what the YouTube person plays. Technically competent but as dull as f***.

The standard of modern musicians is just staggering to my mind, so much incredible technique. In many ways I’m deeply envious, but in others I’m very pleased I grew up in the post-punk/new-wave/DIY scene where the only rule was not to copy. I never had even the slightest interest in learning music theory, cover versions etc, only to be part of something new and self-created. As such I can’t really play!

Fylde Guitars have released a double CD, with a 128 page booklet, entitled "Strings that Nimble Leap", featuring artists that use Fylde products. Each artist's choice of guitar, or other stringed instrument, and his/her style of play is detailed if you understand such things.

The production values of the CDs are excellent as is the booklet. The playing is exceptional and demonstrates that a guitar is not just a guitar.

Sales also support 3 charities. All artists gave their time and music for free.

https://www.fyldeguitars.com/cd.html

The standard of modern musicians is just staggering to my mind, so much incredible technique. In many ways I’m deeply envious, but in others I’m very pleased I grew up in the post-punk/new-wave/DIY scene where the only rule was not to copy. I never had even the slightest interest in learning music theory, cover versions etc, only to be part of something new and self-created. As such I can’t really play!

I am only posting this because I can.

And for the love of the exuberance of it all.

With no excuse for posting it except for my complete joy of owning it.... my other guitar .... '84 Tele

fullsizeoutput-4f.jpg

Last edited:
I am only posting this because I can.

And for the love of the exuberance of it all.

Tim Smith was a criminally underrated guitarist IMHO probably because he didn't 'do solos' but f**k my tall hat, like in this video, he could slip really complex chops into a song. However, he was a pretty tough man to play for in a band. Sadly, after the illness, we're unlikely to hear anything new from him of this calibre.

Anyway, here's another belter from the shed rehearsals. WARNING: May contain a "f**ing dog" and Jim Smith in his underpants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back