advertisement

SONY ES

Looking at the service manual it looks to be the AEP/German model. The AC outlet on the back is different for the UK and 'E' version.

It doesn't have the sticker on the back that you normally see on German models so my best guess is that it's an AEP model (whatever that means).

How so?
Could it be the cover for the switches? I've shown it both open and closed...
All the previous 770/870s I’ve seen have Spontaneous Twin Drive in a large font by the model no. badge with Super Legato Linear beneath in a smaller font and Gibraltar chassis below that. Mosfet Power Stage is printed on the left hand side of the flap. On yours these things are different sizes and/or in different places, which intrigued me.

The 940's are the 'QS' range, which I think was their mid range in the 90's ? Doesn't have the build or many of the features of the 'ES' range, although they are supposed to be quite capable. I have a QS minidisk deck, which is very good, and still going strong.

I used to have a '930 (the predecessor to the '940) in the late 90s/early 00s. Not bad but not in the league of the JVC AX-Z1010TN. I remember the relay for the input selector knob was starting to go dodgy when I replaced it.

i happened to walk by a second hand place here in the netherlands where i always ask if he's got anything interesting. he said he had a sony for €100 ($118) but walked away because sony, besides my old ps x4 turntable, never really did it for me. i walked back the next day and saw it in the shop window, took a photo, then googled it. it was (is) the TA F730ES. wow, didn't know how fast to mail him and ask him to reserve it for me, hoping no one else did the same the day before. as luck had it, it became mine. whadda beast. i think in japan they called it a different number and yes, mostly sold in germany. how mine got here i don't know but seeing we are neighbouring countries ...
anyhow, it's dark so no decent photo but here's a video of the inner workings. 21 kilos that have changed my view on sony. :)

i happened to walk by a second hand place here in the netherlands where i always ask if he's got anything interesting. he said he had a sony for €100 ($118) but walked away because sony, besides my old ps x4 turntable, never really did it for me. i walked back the next day and saw it in the shop window, took a photo, then googled it. it was (is) the TA F730ES. wow, didn't know how fast to mail him and ask him to reserve it for me, hoping no one else did the same the day before. as luck had it, it became mine. whadda beast. i think in japan they called it a different number and yes, mostly sold in germany. how mine got here i don't know but seeing we are neighbouring countries ...
anyhow, it's dark so no decent photo but here's a video of the inner workings. 21 kilos that have changed my view on sony. :)
That's a fantastic buy, well done!

The 940's are the 'QS' range, which I think was their mid range in the 90's ? Doesn't have the build or many of the features of the 'ES' range, although they are supposed to be quite capable. I have a QS minidisk deck, which is very good, and still going strong.

Nor the sound- the 770 for example feels like it could drive a train- a very full and coherent sound indeed- the 940 is nice also mind.

Well done that man- is she doing it for you?
boyoboy. i'm well chuffed. i've also linked the sony power amp to a marantx sr6009 pre for my front speakers during streaming/ usb/nas/tv/video and the rest; revox b77mk2 r2r, aiwa 3 headed cassette and B&O deck, plus an akai r2r, jvc minidisc, and old sony ps x4 with deccca gold cart all being played through celestion ditton 66 serie II with tannoy surrounds. it fits the bill for now, but in the future....??
p.s. can't wait to try out the extremely well praised phono pre amps.

advertisement

Back