advertisement

Mytek ?

coupe-sport

pfm Member
Pondering some changes to my headphone system and the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge looks rather interesting - roon ready, single box etc. I've never had any Mytek products before but they look well built and engineered. Any things to be concerned about with these products ?

James

I've been using a Mytek Brooklyn in my stereo setup since early 2016.

No issues at all. Very good sound that became great after adding an external LPSU made by Qualiaphysic.

Last edited:
It has quite a compressed soundstage, lacking the depth and width of better designs. In isolation it sounded good enough, back to back better designs it was found wanting. It's right on the money for the price though.

It has quite a compressed soundstage, lacking the depth and width of better designs. In isolation it sounded good enough, back to back better designs it was found wanting. It's right on the money for the price though.

That and perhaps the fact that you're no longer selling one.

Reactions: JTC
Well, Simon is the last person on the planet that would self promote stuff he is selling, trust me. His words are always spot on, one of the few people that I listen to carefully when it comes to advice on soind,he is smart, honest and technically proficient to be able to separate BS from clever stuff.

I owned Brooklyn as well and liked it, but eventually passed it on. Very good, but not great, at least in the SS system.

Has literally tons of features, really nice interface, good phonostage and headphone.

Maybe with an external power supply it would have been a keeper.

Well, Simon is the last person on the planet that would self promote stuff he is selling, trust me. His words are always spot on, one of the few people that I listen to carefully when it comes to advice on soind,he is smart, honest and technically proficient to be able to separate BS from clever stuff.

He may be all that you're saying and more.
But he did say it was a brilliant DAC when he was selling his and that the DIY Linear PSU took its performance up one level. Alas, it was a 2 amp LPSU and Mytek recommend a 4-6 Amp one.

No concerns, easy to live with, good, but not great sound. Loads of features though.
Don't agree with the "not great sound". I think they sound excellent, and great for the price. But they don't pretty up music. If the recording has flaws or is harsh sounding, they won't hide it.

Don't agree with the "not great sound". I think they sound excellent, and great for the price. But they don't pretty up music. If the recording has flaws or is harsh sounding, they won't hide it.
Yes, it has clearly an warts and all presentation.

Last edited:
Had a DAC+ and it was great. I wanted a one box streamer/dac and got a Lumin D2. Better sound, more convenient—though far fewer features. If you don’t need the mytek features; preamp, phono/line in, ability to use other sources (easy to set up network play w Lumin); the Lumin sounds great. Needs an Ethernet connection—I use a mesh network access point Ethernet out to the unit. Easy. Also less money.

Then why do mytek fit an internal smps that doesn't match that claim?

The Brooklyn draws a constant 800mA, with a brief, couple of seconds, 1200mA peak during power up.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between psu output impedance, headroom and bullshit...

Then why do mytek fit an internal smps that doesn't match that claim?

The Brooklyn draws a constant 800mA, with a brief, couple of seconds, 1200mA peak during power up.

Perhaps you don't understand the difference between psu output impedance, headroom and bullshit...

Oh, I do understand bullshit. For instance when one is selling a DAC that one thinks in isolation sounds "good enough" and calls it "brilliant".

About Mytek recommending 4-6 Amps, why don't you ask them if that's bullshit?

I don't need to ask them if its bullshit, if the output impedance of a psu is low enough and its capable of delivering twice the required current maximum then its more than sufficient. If it needed a higher current psu then why don't they spec one? The quote from mytek was with reference to third party Psu's which will all have different supply impedance and therefore he erred on the side of caution regarding headroom. Its simple really.

It's a brilliant dac, packed with features and sounds on the money. If we just considered sound quality then its average imo. It's bettered by more expensive kit- what isn't? Not sure why you're having trouble with the concept. It's performance isn't just composed of its sound quality, you have to look at the whole package.

Maybe you're too butt hurt to think straight?

Hi James,

After reading some glowing posts on Mytek Brooklyn DACs, I did give one a home trial for a few days in my system, but I was disappointed with the sound. Decent enough, but rather dull and flat - a Chord Hugo was considerably better.

advertisement

Back