advertisement

Hearing aids.

In the ideal world a smart doctor will judge the condition and decide what is best for you - one ear, two ears, extent of damage, cochelar reserve and so on, it is veeery complicated. Then a good audiologist who has experience with several types of hearing aids will talk to you at large what you work, how you live, what is your environment and he will find the optimal range, not only in price but for example there are people who like to swim and "in the ear canal" type will be a challenge to use as you will need to take it out each time and so on. There are deices which are good for music lovers, for people who like to visit restaurants, who have grand children and there is a program for each. In the ideal world a hearing aid will make life wonderful again, hearing is connected to balance, memory, cognitive abilities as well...

Still,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that other thread. I especially liked the reviews pointing at the Widex range, which seem to get universally good reviews for music.

I’ll await my next NHS appt, get referred to the hearing aids person, and the start trialling stuff.

I’m fortunate that the hearing in my left ear isn’t too bad, and 50% of the time my right ear is fine. I just need the aids for when my hearing isn’t ok. As always I’ll shop around to get the right advice/help and product.

I will explore a dedicated headphone amp and headphones. I do use in ears for monitoring and external noise cancellation, so I’m used to wearing such things and keeping them clean.

I’ll report back on my journey, if folk are interested.

Thing with hearing aids is they are uncomfortable even the modern ones. Also you will hear a hiss and it will probably drive you nuts but eventually you’ll brain will adapt and you’ll not hear it anymore. It won’t make your enjoyment of music better but might make it easier to hear conversations. Personally will just adapt your hifi to suit your natural hearing better

Thing with hearing aids is they are uncomfortable even the modern ones. Also you will hear a hiss and it will probably drive you nuts but eventually you’ll brain will adapt and you’ll not hear it anymore. It won’t make your enjoyment of music better but might make it easier to hear conversations. Personally will just adapt your hifi to suit your natural hearing better

I probably need the assistance for when I’m teaching, to be honest. I’ll do as others here have done and try as many different types as I can. I do like the idea of a brand that can at least do justice to music.

In the ideal world a smart doctor will judge the condition and decide what is best for you - one ear, two ears, extent of damage, cochelar reserve and so on, it is veeery complicated. Then a good audiologist who has experience with several types of hearing aids will talk to you at large what you work, how you live, what is your environment and he will find the optimal range, not only in price but for example there are people who like to swim and "in the ear canal" type will be a challenge to use as you will need to take it out each time and so on. There are deices which are good for music lovers, for people who like to visit restaurants, who have grand children and there is a program for each. In the ideal world a hearing aid will make life wonderful again, hearing is connected to balance, memory, cognitive abilities as well...
Good to see that you are still active Nikola. Are you still doing stem cell research and live in Bulgaria or have you moved on to other shores. Oh I still have the yellow standard PO box and cables after all these years.

Did I mention That Eddie Izzard went to the same school as my youngest?

Cheers,

DV

Good to see that you are still active Nikola. Are you still doing stem cell research in Bulgaria or have you moved on to other shores. Oh I still have the yellow box and cables after all these years.

Cheers,

DV

Haha, pleasure is all mine! I cannot thank you enough about the Death star Canteen, changed my life... :) No stem cell research at the moment, lots of surgery. And a very serious interest in how we hear, considering a PhD on inner ear malformations in kids. Apologies for the off topic, it was an extremely pleasant surprise to meet a friend.

I’m thinking of a polite way to say that this is a silly comment and it is like saying modern shoes are uncomfortable. - but I’ve failed.

.sjb
True but I tried them when I was young and was naive and thought it would be a simple fix. Think it’s worth saying Incase someone thinks the same. It made me realise that technology is very far away from being near human hearing. If you do find something that makes music more pleasurable then please post about it

Update.

So, I’ve been fitted with my hearing aids today.

The Phonak ones supplied by my local NHS have several settings, including a music setting and an ambient one, for reducing back ground noise.

The standard speech setting is fine for, well, speech but the music setting seems initially to be ok. I wear in ears for gigging and listening to my iPhone etc, so these feel not dissimilar to those. I haven’t had to have moulds done for my hearing aids as my hearing isn’t severe (it’s classed as mild to moderate loss).

Speaking to the lady that fitted them, she said that the ambient noise and higher frequencies I could hear using the aids are, according to the graphs she was referring to, about right to get my eq for various freq
Use cites back within normal ranges.

I’ll do as advised by the professional regarding using them, and give it a good while to get used to them.

I do think they will be very helpful for when I’m in a classroom teaching environment.

advertisement

Back