advertisement

The Know it all Audiophile

This thread is pretty much turkeys talking about Christmas.

More ammo for Mr. Darko. The man is 100% correct.

Why do some audiophiles refer to reviewers as "Mister"? I would have thought that "Your Holiness" would be far more appropriate.

the problem nowadays is not about the audiophile per say, but about what is actually available on the market. Most speakers are now small, living room friendly, low efficiency.

Most "modern" audiophile dont get to hear a lot of 15 inch based speakers, or even 18 inch based speakers. Horns are very expensive. you basically only get at your city "hifi" shop some low eff floorstanders with dual 6.5 or 8 inch woofer being propose as flagship status. Even at "hifi" shows, we are being proposed a type of sound that is imo not truly hi fidelity. Just look at the new Dynaudio confidence line, their TOTL speakers use what... 2 x 8 inch woofers, small 5 inch mids, 4 ohm load and 86 db efficient. those type of speakers have a sound that has nothing to do with Big speakers with a big sound. When your used to listening to big speakers, youll listen to the 15k PMC fact 8 with disdain and laugh at any "audiophile" who consider this anything else then a poor excuse of a speaker.

So yeah, its not the audiophile fault, its the "hifi" industry that is implementing a type of sound limited by the WAF trends. that type of sound most audiophile only get to hear and eventually think that this is how hifi sounds like.

Ayya, it depends on where you live geographically, what your budget is, what physical and emotional constraints there are where you live(room, family etc) and also what you want from your music reproduction system.

I am perhaps fortunate in that I can access convenience hifi sales within 45 mins from where I live(Nottingham), all the way to hi end stuff within and hour and 15 minutes.

Some of this comes down to what you want, and what you want to invest regarding time and research to get it.

I like his videos on youtube they are interesting and I get to see hifi I have never heard of. My only niggle is he seems to edit the video every few seconds, I don't know if he has a stutter or something he is editing out but it can be distracting watching the video jumping all the time.

Agreed on mains, Ethernet, USB and correctly specced digital cables. BUT speaker cables and to a small degree, analogue interconnects do have a considerable difference. Saying the boxes are to blame is just frankly dumb and shows little experience or knowledge about system building.

100% agree with you Cereal.

I think it differs really.

For some people it is really important to them that components measure well and for others it's all about the sound.

I am one of those that is more interested on how it sounds to me, I honestly couldn't care less how something measured.

Exactly the sort of attitude Darko is referring to.

Do you have a problem with discussing audio performance in absolute terms (which will inevitably label some equipment as poo), or do you think that all equipment is valid no matter how low-fi, because you may hurt someone's feelings if you criticise their choices?

Isn't it more productive to be honest?

The subject is described here in some depth: http://www.high-endaudio.com/philos.html#Rel

Last edited:
the problem nowadays is not about the audiophile per say, but about what is actually available on the market. Most speakers are now small, living room friendly, low efficiency.

Most "modern" audiophile dont get to hear a lot of 15 inch based speakers, or even 18 inch based speakers. Horns are very expensive. you basically only get at your city "hifi" shop some low eff floorstanders with dual 6.5 or 8 inch woofer being propose as flagship status. Even at "hifi" shows, we are being proposed a type of sound that is imo not truly hi fidelity. Just look at the new Dynaudio confidence line, their TOTL speakers use what... 2 x 8 inch woofers, small 5 inch mids, 4 ohm load and 86 db efficient. those type of speakers have a sound that has nothing to do with Big speakers with a big sound. When your used to listening to big speakers, youll listen to the 15k PMC fact 8 with disdain and laugh at any "audiophile" who consider this anything else then a poor excuse of a speaker.

So yeah, its not the audiophile fault, its the "hifi" industry that is implementing a type of sound limited by the WAF trends. that type of sound most audiophile only get to hear and eventually think that this is how hifi sounds like.

Over generalised about woofer sizes (again?). I heard the Tannoy Premium Deluxe Gold Super Specials (or whatever they're called) at Cranage with their massive bass drivers. Very boomy and out of control. The FACT12s with 2x 5" well controlled drivers did a far better job of playing actual music and tunes. Generalisations based on the diameter of a driver are absolutely not helpful.

Do you have a problem with discussing audio performance in absolute terms (which will inevitably label some equipment as poo), or do you think that all equipment is valid no matter how low-fi, because you may hurt someone's feelings if you criticise their choices?

Isn't it more productive to be honest?

The subject is described here with some depth: http://www.high-endaudio.com/philos.html#Rel

Its not so much offering an opinion. There is nothing wrong with "my preference is...", "have you considered...", "did you compare with...". Darko is referring to the absolutists. The ones who think there is only one way and everyone else is wrong, on whatever subject is to hand. For some contributors that will be absolutely every topic they're interested in, for others it will be a specific subject on which they're absolutist, but not on others.
I don't think he is describing a specific individual who has all of the traits described, but rather he's rolled up lots of examples into one ficticious character for effect. They're all recognisable traits and I'm pretty sure all of us have at least a little bit of one or two of these "attitudes" and there will be many who fit into many of them too. I wouldn't be surprised if Darko would slot himself into some of them too, it would be disappointing if he thought of himself as immune to all of them.

As for reviews - all of those coming from people with entrenched views, and those from people who are financially supported by the industry in some way, need to be considered in that context.

Over generalised about woofer sizes (again?). I heard the Tannoy Premium Deluxe Gold Super Specials (or whatever they're called) at Cranage with their massive bass drivers. Very boomy and out of control. The FACT12s with 2x 5" well controlled drivers did a far better job of playing actual music and tunes. Generalisations based on the diameter of a driver are absolutely not helpful.
Cranage is a great room to accept those Tannoy? in a well suited room, those tannoy will make the FACT12 sounds liked toys.
its not a generalisation that big speakers sounds big, will offer real bass, ect.
but hey, im not here to debate, this is my experience, yours may differ. all good

Cranage is a great room to accept those Tannoy? in a well suited room, those tannoy will make the FACT12 sounds liked toys.
its not a generalisation that big speakers sounds big, will offer real bass, ect.
but hey, im not here to debate, this is my experience, yours may differ. all good

But your post makes it seem definitive and is the sort of thing that Darko is referring to - "if you're not using 15" drivers your stereo is bound to be terrible" is exactly the sort of mantra he's pointing out. The room at Cranage with the Tannoys was huge. If they don't work there they won't work anywhere. I checked in various locations in the room and on at least 3 tracks too. This does not mean I don't like speakers with 15" drivers, its just to point out that they're not all good under all circumstances.

advertisement

Back