advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+22)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, and it's not at all uncommon. As long as remainers attach the demand for a second referendum (widely supported on the left but with some ambivalence) to the demand to get rid of Corbyn (still wildly popular with the left) they're going to lose a fair old chunk of support. It makes it very easy for LExiters to argue that a PV is just a means of attacking Corbyn and the membership (which let's face it it is, for many).

Perhaps you are right but what many, if not a majority, of people are looking for is leadership to clearly put country before short-term party interests. And that means making a strong case for Remain and a PV.
A clear contrast with the BJ evasion, lies and subterfuge about what a Hard Brexit will do to the UK while trying to save the Tory party.

That is just BJ waffle. It will be interesting to see if he bothers to do any work at all before 31 October to avoid cliff jump.

If he does get the gig, BJ will go to the EU and comeback waving a sheet of paper at the airport. He will tell his fan bois that he has a deal beyond their wildest dreams for a painless Brexit. It will turn out to be May's deal with a few bells and whistles and some kind of fudge over technology being used at the Irish border, but actually, the backstop will remain. He will then become an international pop star by duetting on a re-recording of Aretha Franklin's "How I Got Over", this will be sung at Tory party conferences until a truly life-like hologram of Maggie T can take over. The closing rendition at conferences will then become “I Will Always Love You”.

Meanwhile, Corbyn and Farage will form a duo to perform a rap version of Queen's You're My Best Friend” which will be banned by the BBC cos nobody found it offensive.

Not touched a drop for 24 hours, your Honour. :)

Can't the Queen dissolve Parliament and call a general election? Or do we just have to sit tight and watch this pathetic display of the Tory party fighting for the destruction of the UK...

P.S.: maybe if we should start a petition politely requesting for the Queen to intervene.

Technically she can (and does at the request of a PM) but cannot and would not interfere in politics or parliament on her own.

EDIT

Just double checked and since the fixed term act she can no longer dissolve parliament.

Our next Prime Minister says...

"Boris Johnson‏Verified account @BorisJohnson
If I become PM, we will leave the EU on 31st October, deal or no deal. Today I have asked @Jeremy_Hunt whether he will also commit to this date, no matter what. We must keep our promises to the British people and deliver Brexit - no ifs, no buts, and no second referendum.
4:09 PM - 25 Jun 2019"

Admittedly not even his own children can trust him, but we can't rule out that he will try and he'll enjoy plunging the country into chaos, as it will all mean (a lot) more attention for him.

It had been expected that Labour (yes even at this late stage) would clarify its position on Brexit and a 2nd ref today, but it didn't. Despite McDonnell warning that Labour needs a policy shift and agreeing with Tom Watson who called for Labour to become an avowedly Remain party. Corbyn appears to be caught in the middle between the big unions and the McDonnell/Watson axis as time ticks on and on.

It had been expected that Labour (yes even at this late stage) would clarify its position on Brexit and a 2nd ref today, but it didn't. Despite McDonnell warning that Labour needs a policy shift and agreeing with Tom Watson who called for Labour to become an avowedly Remain party. Corbyn appears to be caught in the middle between the big unions and the McDonnell/Watson axis as time ticks on and on.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...ferendum-decision_uk_5d123cdfe4b0a3941868f890

The reporting of the issue is often misleading, although there's some justification for it I suppose. Corbyn has said publicly and clearly - in parliament no less - that Labour want a referendum on any deal. What remains to be resolved is whether Labour will then campaign for remain. That's quite a big step and if Corbyn can't carry the union with him then it's shoring up trouble. People are impatient but there's no immediate reason for Labour to make peremptory decisions as long as the Tories are engaged in their train wreck. Soon the Tories will be forced to act - Labour will likely be facing a no deal PM and campaigning for remain in that case will be more consistent with Labour's long-held position and more legitimate as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back