advertisement

Raspberry pi 4B

I like the idea of a Pi, but I've never come up with a reason to buy one, I'm not really sure what I'd do with it.

I like the idea of a Pi, but I've never come up with a reason to buy one, I'm not really sure what I'd do with it.
Here’s a few ideas - this is what I use mine for.
Home Automation server
LMS server connected to NAS
A couple of LMS clients
Wireless birdbox camera
Portable LMS server with 400Gb of music on sticks and cards
Linux server and remote reverse SSH client for another Home Automation system

Home Automation server
Wireless birdbox camera
A couple of LMS clients.

If I had any of those things then it sounds like they're spot on :D

Home Automation server
A couple of LMS clients
Wireless birdbox camera

do people still use LMS. I'd forgotten about it. I must have some SB devices in the loft doing nothing

I'm a computer scientist, my wife is a computer scientist....... - I have about 4 laptops, a server, a desktop PC, an Intel NUC, a windows tablet, an android tablet etc......hence why would i need a Pi?

I've just bought one (although the last model - the 3 B+) without a clear view on what I'm going to use it for. At the moment it's got Volumio on it and with a dac hat arriving later this week it's likely to end up as a streamer in one of the rooms. In the end it's probably going to have been about the same price as the 2nd hand Cambridge Audio Sonata NP30 streamer I'm using at the moment though - so doesn't necessarily make financials sense so is really just a bit of fun.

No need for it to be a backup computer as I doubt there are less than 20 functional laptops, desktops, servers and tablets in my house at the moment (probably a lot more!)! The Pi is a lot quieter than my other Linux servers as well.

I'm a computer scientist, my wife is a computer scientist....... - I have about 4 laptops, a server, a desktop PC, an Intel NUC, a windows tablet, an android tablet etc......hence why would i need a Pi?

Save energy springs immediately to mind.

Could we all move away from saying 'coin', rather than 'cost', 'price' or 'money?'

Game of thrones has finished now.

OK dad.

I didn't realise how big a step up the new chipset was, you really do get a lot more for your money?

At a glance the 3B is 1.4 GHz quad core and the 4B is 1.5GHz quad core, but the benchmarks tell a different story.

https://medium.com/@ghalfacree/benchmarking-the-raspberry-pi-4-73e5afbcd54b

I mostly use my pi 3 B+ as a media box running OSMC. it pays audio and video perfectly. Recently I've needed to use it for more computery stuff like web browsing and word processing, and it was a real dog. The new one looks like it will be fine for that, it even runs quake!

My only gripe is the increased power consumption. It won't make any difference to most people, but I'm off-grid with limited battery storage and every watt counts.

Save energy springs immediately to mind.

indeed, server rarely used these days, same with desktop. No files stored on local storage all on 2 NAS. The NUC is used for music playback, tablets mainly used, laptops hardly. We have deliberately made a huge effort to move to lower power computing.

Lightweight......I see your Meezers and raise you....three Burmese who like to party!

:D:D:D

I mostly use mine as music servers, running Moode Audio, either through a HAT DAC into the kitchen mini system, or through HAT SPDIF interfaces to the DACs (Numerik & nDAC) on the main hifi systems

My only gripe is the increased power consumption. It won't make any difference to most people, but I'm off-grid with limited battery storage and every watt counts.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but it's actually lower power than the 3B. Yes, it draws 0.5 watts more under load, but it gets 3x as much work done using those amps, so it will use 0.5 watt more, but for 1/3rd of the time of the previous board. It's spend much more time at idle. Now the idle level is up 0.5 watts from the previous model, so that's the one to investigate.

The idle level will be affected by what is switched on - whether it's using ethernet or wifi, how much RAM is on board etc, and it wasn't clear from that link you posted which model was tested (1/2/4 Gb) or what was enabled during the comparison.

My intuition though would be that the board will be more power efficient over the previous board unless you leave it on 24 hours a day doing nothing, in which case i'd suggest you switch it off :)

The annoying bit is needing a monitor adapter and a new power supply, but that's all.

It is annoying they have changed the port layout and PSU type as it won’t fit in existing cases. The 4GB is out of stock everywhere too!

The mini-USB port cannot deliver the increased wattage needed, USB C can... or you can now deliver and take full power via GPIO. Upside is the 500ma power delivery limit to external USB devices has been lifted which mini-USB could never offer. USB C can. You ought to be able to chain a lot more stuff to a Pi now without risking brown-outs and boot-errors on the SD card.

Now the idle level is up 0.5 watts from the previous model, so that's the one to investigate.
l.
If we are down to a difference of 0.5 watts for the whole device then I think we can let it go for most applications this side of a space probe.

A mate of mine has got a Pi Zero. He told me not to get a Pi, because I would never figure out how to use it.

I said there are forums where I can look and ask questions. He said I would come across words I didn't understand and would then have to go to another website to learn about them.

We moved onto arguing about whether anybody can hear the difference between analogue and digital reproduction of music. I said I could. He said I couldn't and was deluding myself.

He eventually dug out a Roland Space Echo RE-201 I lent him about a decade ago. It works perfectly well, but could do with a service and tarting up. If anybody knows of a relevant organization or expert, please let me know.

Space Echos go for quite a lot of money nowadays. At least enough to buy a Pi 4 Model B.

Jack

advertisement

Back