advertisement

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

'The wild..' is very different from most of the Boss's output.

It sounds very much in same world as "Greetings from Asbury Park" to me - funky, East-Coast, urban
Born to Run moved on slightly - songs about cars & girls, a certain level of grandiloquence - strings, piano solos etc
Then Darkness on the Edge of Town moved things westwards to small-town middle-American post-industrial despair, the River continued in that vain. And after that I sort of lost interest - Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love have a few decent songs I suppose, though I find the 80's style synths in Tunnel of Love quite jarring.

I thought Magic was an excellent album, one of his best. Also really liked The Seeger Sessions.

I like "Darkness.." but my top 3 favourites are:
Ghost of Tom Joad
We Shall Overcome
The Wild , The Innocent ...

I'm with you on Tom Joad being my favourite of his albums. Not sure after that though - will need some thought.

Surprised no ones mentioned The Rising. Cracking album for me and a great set (we went two nights running)

Agree this latest offering right up there. As said previously luck of the draw on vinyl quality. My blue discs perfect unlike the Aldous Harding album I got recently. Plays ok but the arm on a roller coaster ride. Is there any form of quality control on modern pressings?

advertisement

Back