advertisement

Avondale NCC300 amp project ..

Yes well spotted :eek: I did temporarily fit them wrong but spotted the mistake and changed them round before testing, actually I have fitted them to the under side of the board now
IMG_3315 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Alan

I had one hit the kitchen ceiling when I built my 135 clones years ago, luckily they came in 5's so I had a replacement!

Pete

I recently had a 1000uF/40v BHC axial let go, after I'd juiced it the wrong way in a moment of idiocy.
The raw psu had a fair amount of energy stored, so it hissed and expressed a jet of hot vapour for a surprisingly long while...!*

(in my long-suffering CD; and that's long enough that - having put the bare chassis back into the system to check all worked - I could deselect source, de-power, unplug, and run it through to an open kitchen window where the cap continued to outgas for 20s+...)

Christmas in September:

IMG-0577.jpg

Thanks Les!!!

Yes they are very nice boards! It's also very useful having Les' rather fine CNC'ed T brackets.
Quite large though.. won't quite fit in the chassis I was hoping to use. So I need to have a think about how to house them.
Might take a whie to get them up and running since I have a 1/2 finished TGM8 and a 1/2 finished Hawk A-18 on the go.

Just pondering over resistors. I've never really noticed much difference between different resistor types and usually use Multicomp MF25 series. However they will look a bit weedy on these boards.
So I think maybe the Welwyn MFR5s should be OK, but in another thread somebody reckons they don't sound good (?).
Any suggestions?

Depending on how much dissipation you need, for reliability Vishay PRO2 metal film - good for 2W/500v !, are my go-to; not expensive.

(I've no strong view on resistor audio qualities - but these are compact, totally reliable, and whenever I used to try the monkey-squint listening test - nah, preferred over metal oxide and 'smaller' metal film parts)

Depending on how much dissipation you need, for reliability Vishay PRO2 metal film - good for 2W/500v !, are my go-to; not expensive.

(I've no strong view on resistor audio qualities - but these are compact, totally reliable, and whenever I used to try the monkey-squint listening test - nah, preferred over metal oxide and 'smaller' metal film parts)

Good suggestion.
Max 12mm long though... is this viable with 13mm pitch pcb holes?

I recently had a 1000uF/40v BHC axial let go, after I'd juiced it the wrong way in a moment of idiocy.
The raw psu had a fair amount of energy stored, so it hissed and expressed a jet of hot vapour for a surprisingly long while...!*

(in my long-suffering CD; and that's long enough that - having put the bare chassis back into the system to check all worked - I could deselect source, de-power, unplug, and run it through to an open kitchen window where the cap continued to outgas for 20s+...)

The worst I had in a long while was a Roksan CD player I was testing with the lid off in my system when I was suddenly aware of some strange clicks and hisses coming from the CD player.... by the time I had turned round in my chair to look at it the hiss became very pronounced and a jet of evil smelling white smoke squirted out about 4' in the air (from the mains input block with built in suppressor caps etc that was sealed in some sort of tar like substance) and continued for about 5 seconds after I swiftly killed the power! What a mess!

Well, dayum!

The very first photo in the first post is also labelled 1.2!!

I thought Les had released an update :-(

BugBear

You did have me wondering there for a minute so I went and checked my boards straight away. I've had my boards quite a while and I really should make some effort to finish them. My NCC220s are so damned good I just haven't any reason to rush.

Forgot to say I used Welwyn MFR5s for the 300s. There were several values unavailable so I used the smaller Welwyns and a couple of Vishays.

AFAIK Les uses the Welwyn MFR5 resistors for all except the signal path where he uses the Welwyn RC55y
I built my final version of my NCC200 with the Dale RN55n same used in the paradise phono stage and they are excellent
I also rate and used the Takman Rey50 resistors in my NCC300 with Audio Note tantalum non magnetic and a couple of Shinko resistors for the signal path
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/resistors.html

Alan

Alan, I just had a chat with Les and that's pretty much what he said.
He is not particularly fixated on resistor "sound"

advertisement

Back