advertisement

New new Top Gear

Everyone mispronounces Citroen.
I don't! But all French car names are awkward for English speakers who have no acquaintance with the language (Renolt, Pewjoe - mind you, Simca and Matra were OK, when they existed).

Just watched it. There’s clearly much more potential chemistry between this trio than the last. I thought there was more warmth, and the set pieces were less contrived. I enjoyed it more than anything in the last couple of series. Promising start.

It was all too forced and I got quite stressed watching it.Please BBC stop it now and give us all a break.

Everyone mispronounces Citroen.

Maybe me as well ! How can you mispronounce it, leaving aside the particular French oe sound, Not sure how that would translate phonetically into English (oin?) Maybe, as above, it's a lemon but mispronounced by Limeys

I guess it's only important to pronounce expensive cars properly, is it a class thing? Nobody outside Japan pronounces Toyota corolla correctly, even though it's the most common car in the world.

I guess it's only important to pronounce expensive cars properly, is it a class thing? Nobody outside Japan pronounces Toyota corolla correctly, even though it's the most common car in the world.
Even I know its pronounced "Toyo'a Cawowa" in Japanese.

It was all too forced and I got quite stressed watching it.Please BBC stop it now and give us all a break.

Agree - I thought it was even worse than the last series & turned it off.

As for “Porsche”, my opinion is that Clarkson & colleagues’ unsuccessful attempts to pronounce it as if speaking German - & suggesting that this is “correct” - is totally pretentious : a bit like someone saying they’re going to “Paree” or “Roma” for a trip.

I know two German racing drivers (one a Le Mans winner), both fluent English speakers, who always say Porsche the English way (“Porsch”) when speaking English, albeit with their German accents. As do my German ex-wife & her 911-owning German brother-in-law.

For several years in the mid-90s I had the pleasure of driving an early 911 C4 cabriolet (964 series) : nobody at the Surrey dealership where I bought it ever said “Porsch-er”, Clarkson-style.

I assume 'Dacia' has Italian connotations, even though it's French ( I think). Not sure, however, why a French company would use an Italian name.
Dacia are Romanian but owned by Renault group. Romanian is a Latin language. When I meet Romanians in the factories who have no English I speak to them in my bad Italian, they generally understand. I occasionally understand their replies in Italian.

Apparently only the septics pronounce ‘Jag-warr’ correctly. That is, I believe, the correct, South American pronunciation of Jaguar. Who knew?

I know two German racing drivers (one a Le Mans winner), both fluent English speakers, who always say Porsche the English way (“Porsch”) when speaking English, albeit with their German accents.
I happen to know that the frequent mispronunciation of "Porsche" came about from a misunderstanding, when a punter at the dealers was asked "So you want to buy a Porsche, errr...?"

Apparently only the..... septics.... pronounce ‘Jag-warr’ correctly.

Your observation is infectious, Sue. :D

Dacia are Romanian but owned by Renault group. Romanian is a Latin language.

Ah, yes; I'd forgotten but presumably the 'c' is pronounced as 'ch' as in Italian, then. My lady dentist is Romanian (stress on first and third syllables, I understand) and she always negatively says " tch tch tch " when inspecting my teeth.

Back to thread subject matter, I read a resume of T.G.in yesterday's paper, which awarded it 4 stars (/5) in which it thought that this reincarnation was a welcome departure from the last three stilted series. It was fun, natural and blokish although Harris was the only boring one. It mentioned a more millennial tone. As I'm many decades away from being a millennial, maybe he has a point and that it's an age thing. Can't knock the visual aspect at any age, though.

advertisement

Back