advertisement

Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars

GOOD But Nebraska is better . darkness is tops , just listen to new release again not impressed .
I didn't want to give him a list.
Even though I agree with yours!
And I thought the Steinbeckian would perhaps appeal to his politics...

Not a massive Springsteen fan but I respect his career and have enjoyed odd tracks with a bias towards his earlier stuff. Always found full albums a bit boring especially the later ones, but this I listened to twice in a row, good stuff.

The first time I saw him live was at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975. It was a pretty unforgettable gig.
I was there for the second one (IIRC it was scheduled at short notice for a week or so later after the first sold out). All I remember now is (1) it was great (2) there were loads of American servicemen in the audience and (3) ‘When You Walk in the Room.’

I lost interest around Born in the USA.

Western Stars is indeed very good.

We went to see him last time he was at Wembley and it was an excellent gig. Springsteen seems to actually enjoy the gigs even more than the fans.

I read somewhere that he regularly attends a "buskers night" at his local pub.... No pressure there then when you're about to regale the regulars with your rendition of "The times they are a changin'" or "Wonderwall" and notice "The Boss" is after you:eek::)

I read somewhere that he regularly attends a "buskers night" at his local pub.... No pressure there then when you're about to regale the regulars with your rendition of "The times they are a changin'" or "Wonderwall" and notice "The Boss" is after you:eek::)
This was many years ago ie maybe 30 or more I dont think lately but could be wrong. He played at a local joint (capacity 400) in my hometown in 1984.

I've listened to the vinyl 20 times since last Friday. I love the whole album - standout tracks for me are the opener Hitch Hikin', Tucson Train, Sundown, and the final song, Moonlight Motel. But the title track is, imo, one of his finest ever songs. I think Darkness.... remains my favourite album, but WS is my favourite non- E-Street album, and his best this century

My cd arrived yesterday, unfortunately I won’t be home till Thursday night but my wife listened to this album , she calls it cowboy music

Anyone compared cd vs vinyl quality ?
I normally don’t buy new releases on vinyl but might be tempted this time

I pre ordered the dark blue vinyl direct from the Springsteen store and it still hasn't arrived as yet, rather frustrating, esp given the good reviews the album is receiving. Apparently the blue LPs have been delayed and should be here this week. Now trying to resist the temptation to listen on Spotify!

Listened via Roon/Tidal a couple of nights ago. 'twas very good - need more listening - there was an element of sameness as the album wore on. Nicely recorded too.

I encouraged the Wife to put this album on her gift list, but she ain't bothered. They have the record in Sainsbury's out of interest. She will change her mind in about a year.

One of the (many) artists I cannot abide.

I pre ordered the dark blue vinyl direct from the Springsteen store and it still hasn't arrived as yet, rather frustrating, esp given the good reviews the album is receiving. Apparently the blue LPs have been delayed and should be here this week. Now trying to resist the temptation to listen on Spotify!

They had a choice of blue or black in HMV yesterday, only £3 difference. I would have liked the blue but my brain told me it was safer to get black, even though the last coloured album I bought was very quiet.

They had a choice of blue or black in HMV yesterday, only £3 difference. I would have liked the blue but my brain told me it was safer to get black, even though the last coloured album I bought was very quiet.

I've bought a few coloured / clear vinyl albums of late, and so far they have all been very good indeed, surprisingly so. To date, no warps, no extra marks and virtually zero added surface noise. Although with vinyl of any tint, we all know it's a numbers game and sooner or later a duff (but pretty!) pressing will arrive.

I've bought a few coloured / clear vinyl albums of late, and so far they have all been very good indeed, surprisingly so. To date, no warps, no extra marks and virtually zero added surface noise. Although with vinyl of any tint, we all know it's a numbers game and sooner or later a duff (but pretty!) pressing will arrive.

I’ve now had two warped blue sets, second one going back today

Sorry to hear that Springer - very frustrating. My copies have not arrived as yet, and I only thought after posting that of course when my discs arrive they will be utterly dreadful pressings!

advertisement

Back