advertisement

Nagaoka MP 110 for a Planar 2

nbaptista

pfm Member
I have a Planar 2 with a Rega Carbon. I wonder if a Nagaoka would be an effective upgrade. I heard once a few months back, and I liked the way it sounds, but at the time I wasn´t looking for a cartridge!

Never heard a MP110 but you might consider a replacement stylus of better quality to your Carbon?
Elliptical is quite cheap so are a better conical.

I have read the new Audio Technica VM95 range are VG but yet to explore

If I recall P2 tonearm has no adjustable antiskate bias

If I recall P2 tonearm has no adjustable antiskate bias
No, it hasn´t adjustable antiskate.The Audio Technica might be a good alternative. I talked with a Rega dealer few minutes back, and he told me that they recommend the Goldring E3 for the Planar 2. He told me also that the Nagaoka was not a good cartridge...he has a lot of experience with turntables, so his opinion is important for me.

No, it hasn´t adjustable antiskate.The Audio Technica might be a good alternative. I talked with a Rega dealer few minutes back, and he told me that they recommend the Goldring E3 for the Planar 2. He told me also that the Nagaoka was not a good cartridge...he has a lot of experience with turntables, so his opinion is important for me.
Interesting , has he explained why Nagaoka isn't a good cartridge ?
Your Rega Carbon is basically re-branded AT91 , I used to have one of Clearaudio cartridges which in essence was AT95 packed in different body and Nagaoka 110 was substantially better

Bet he doesn't represent Nag sales

If not get another dealer, he seem untrustworthy

Goldring and Nagaoka makes great cartridges
Its just that improving on Turntables often create better end results

I talked with a Rega dealer few minutes back, and he told me that they recommend the Goldring E3 for the Planar 2. He told me also that the Nagaoka was not a good cartridge...

The Goldring E3 is indeed a good cartridge, but if any dealer tried to tell me that the Nagaoka MP110 was not a good cartridge, I would walk away and find myself an honest dealer.

Take a look at the new Audio Technica VM range. Excellent value for money.
They do look it: I'm a convert to fancy stylus profiles and you can get an AT VM with a Microlinear tip for the same price as an MP110, which I think is bog standard bonded elliptical?

Having said that, on balance I preferred the very basic MP10 to the AT440mlb when I tried them out on an old Planar 3, so a lot will come down to preference.

Dealers are also entitled to their opinions and tastes btw. They have backed those opinions in a big way financially as well

You don’t have to agree

I would personally save up and get the new Planar 3

Dealers are also entitled to their opinions and tastes btw.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the MP110 is a good cartridge. (apologies to Ms. Jane Austen)

While it's perfectly acceptable for a dealer to claim a preference for the Goldring E3, either in terms of overall sound quality, or in its suitability for the Planar2; to claim that the MP100 is a "not a good cartridge" is the sign of a poor dealer imho.

I wasn't blown away with an MP150, but I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say Nags are rubbish carts, in fact I reckon it might be a decent partner for a Rega TT, might help get rid of some of the sterility.

I made the same swap on an RP1. Much better cartridge and far more tolerant of imperfect records. I didn't bother with a spacer and it's just about OK.

I spent about 6 months weighing up turntable choices which is why I was being vague as I didn't end up choosing a Rega deck. If I remember correctly a 6mm shim is needed to level the arm...if that makes any difference to the sq I have no idea.

advertisement

Back