advertisement

Amplification for Naim Allaes

Okay but no 132 or 142 but a 152 then no 162 but a 172 then what happened to 182 or 192.

They probably gave loose as the 152 was in fact a 132

The 102, 82 & 52 became 202, 282, 252.

The 552 for the "5" beeing a 500 level I guess.
Then we have the CD555:cool:
They cleverly updated or changed the NDS streamer to became ND555 justifying a much higher retail pricelevel at most likely similar manufacture cost - this method should be applaused by stockholders

I never understood the number logic in their Streamer preamp ie. N272 & N172 not that I care much about these.

One of the best Naim preamps I had was in fact a NAC 72

I agree on the 72 it's a gem owned 3 over the years plus the exercise adjusting the volume is good too.

A little bit of an update: 102 is now with me, 180 is very nearly with me and a hi-cap will be soon after. It's taken some time to get everything sorted but looking good.

I have a question about the 102, should the Naim logo be backlit? It looks like it should be but it isn't.

A little bit of an update: 102 is now with me, 180 is very nearly with me and a hi-cap will be soon after. It's taken some time to get everything sorted but looking good.

I have a question about the 102, should the Naim logo be backlit? It looks like it should be but it isn't.
Yes, I think it should be. My NAP250 certainly is

This is my 102. Logo, yes. Volume and balance markers, no.

Thanks, it looks like it should be. I'll open the case and see if anything obvious has become unattached.

I've done the 72>102>82 route. The 72 was better than the 102 IMHO and if you can do without a remote, it's a great preamp. All do better with a HiCap.

Stephen

As ever, various examples of each, fresh from the factory, can sound very different. I didn’t notice a huge improvement going used 72 > new 102, but I needed the remote, and I still have the 102 twenty years later next week.

I compared 72 vs 82 about 25 years ago and it was chalk & cheese.
I've still got the 82 and no inclination to change!

The remote is handy! Hence the move to an 82, otherwise I'd have a 72 again. Something didn't work for me with the 102 I had. But, as you say Tony, YMMV.

Stephen

I 'upgraded' from 72 to 82 'back in the day', and, tbh, it was mainly about the RC - while the 82 was more detailed and dynamic, I was never entirely convinced that it was any more (perhaps not even as) musically satisfying as the 72?
Many years later, when I returned to Naim, I got a 102, and it 'wasn't bad', but now replaced by 52 - would like to reacquaint myself with the 72, though. :)

Then again, I've yet to explore CB...! :eek:

Let's face it—all of these choices are for very good preamplifiers.

If you need a remote, the 102 is a bargain.

I'd like to try a 52—but I can't really justify the cost difference.

There was something very satisfying about the 72/HiCap/250 combo. And the 32.5/HiCap/250 combo!

Stephen

And thanks to Tony for checking his 102 yesterday evening, which put my mind at rest about the backlit logo. At the moment I only have the NAPSC powering it, all will be illuminated when I plug in the 180, which will be tomorrow evening hopefully.

If you want to look beyond Salisbury, then an Exposure 3010S2D would be worth a look.

advertisement

Back