advertisement

Recomend me a tonearm

oceanobsession

pfm Member
I need some advice , currently using a mk1 xerxes in good nick , and cadenza bronze , with a technoarm
compliance problems with the technoarm load the headshell with 5 g and it sounds great but I think it can be bettered , ive not played vinyl for 4 years or more due to poor sound quality , but today ive realised its the arm that is the weak link . im probably going to get the cartridge checked by expert stylus £47 if all is well which I think it is im going for another tonearm , I also like the denon dl 103 and cant see me spending a fortune on another cartridge but it depends how it sounds , since ive loaded the headshell its got speed punch and sounds natural
I think the top end will improve with a better arm , cant believe how everything has gone up.
phil.

Don’t know the arm you have, but I’d suggest something from Rega. The potential problem is the top board may not be cut for it.

Don’t know the arm you have, but I’d suggest something from Rega. The potential problem is the top board may not be cut for it.
He has a Technoarm, which is a modified RB250. I farted about with one on a P5, some albums sounded great but it was pretty fussy. I picked up another P5 with the RB700 and its much better.

The Audiomods V has been standard recommendation for a while, and in my view the best Rega based arm available. There's a new v6 with bespoke carbon fibre wand, but as yet it's an unknown.

I rate the Artemiz as better though and perfect match. The new Sara (based on J7 Uniarm) another interesting option if you want new.

Having had original Xerxes with Rega RB300, early Artemiz and subsequently Xerxes 20+, I found the Artemiz better than the very grey sounding RB300 and the Naim ARO I currently use better than the Artemiz. The arm that peaked my interest recently is the Tiger Paw Javelin tonearm, which is said to better the ARO. The thing to watch for with the original Xerxes is the armboard which in your case will be for Rega geometry which will dictate your choice of arm.

Having had original Xerxes with Rega RB300, early Artemiz and subsequently Xerxes 20+, I found the Artemiz better than the very grey sounding RB300 and the Naim ARO I currently use better than the Artemiz. The arm that peaked my interest recently is the Tiger Paw Javelin tonearm, which is said to better the ARO. The thing to watch for with the original Xerxes is the armboard which in your case will be for Rega geometry which will dictate your choice of arm.
Yep, but I’m pretty certain all Roksan arms use the same geometry as Rega. I’d give consideration to a Nima!

The Audiomods V has been standard recommendation for a while, and in my view the best Rega based arm available. There's a new v6 with bespoke carbon fibre wand, but as yet it's an unknown.

I rate the Artemiz as better though and perfect match. The new Sara (based on J7 Uniarm) another interesting option if you want new.

100% agree
in love with audiomods

If it's going to be used with a Denon DL103 then Jelco needs to be aded to the list , I've used SA750 and TK950 with my DL103's and they are a superb match .

I moved from a Technoarm to a Mission 774, made the T sound broken frankly. Different TT though.

I use an Audio Note Arm One V2 on my Xerxes 20+. It looks and sounds great but in all honesty if I was buying an arm in that price segment today, I would most likely go for the Audiomods 6 instead because of the adjustability. Azimuth adjustment would be possible and VTA adjustment with those are a breeze.

Isn't it odd that the arm needs extra mass for an Ortofon?

I'd recommend a Funk Firm FX to anyone, unless they need a massy arm.

Isn't it odd that the arm needs extra mass for an Ortofon?

Yes, that did occur to me too. I did wonder whether improved results by adding mass to the headshell is the only viable indication of a tonearm upgrade requirement. If it was a low compliance cart. then there's an obvious mismatch, but wasn't aware of an Ortofon with that low a compliance figure (exc. SPU, or course).

advertisement

Back