advertisement

Linn Majik-I vs other Linn amps

I'll try one of the LK amps. Which one though would you recommend? 100 or 85 or 140 or.. 2250? Keeping in mind the tunefulness of the Majik i?

Back then I tried LK100 poweramp on my Majik-i used as preamp

Nothing special tbh I preferred the Majik on its own actually, maybe my setup, room etc..?

I'd be getting a Kairn first, if it has to be LK size, guess you could start up with the power section in your Majik until you source a power

A pity Linn no longer support LK kit, I'd love an Ikemi again.

Back then I tried LK100 poweramp on my Majik-i used as preamp

Nothing special tbh I preferred the Majik on its own actually, maybe my setup, room etc..?

I'd be getting a Kairn first, if it has to be LK size, guess you could start up with the power section in your Majik until you source a power

A pity Linn no longer support LK kit, I'd love an Ikemi again.
I’m fairly knowledgable with LK kit and can very easily replace an Ikemi CD mech if needed, most of them are still working and on their first laser/mech. Mine did fail after about 17 years of service, the laser was actually still good but the spindle motor was failing and couldn’t get the disc up to speed properly. It cost me £11 in parts and about 30 minutes or so of my time and it was performing flawlessly again.

I personally think the LK100 is better than the Majik power amp section although it is more bass heavy. The LK85/140 are better again with a cleaner and tighter bass performance.

Here's an update on my findings after comparing the old Majik to LK85 and LK140. Well, I still like the Majik more, overall. The LK85 and 140 are similar but slightly different sounding in my system. I find both a little bright for my taste, almost edgy in the highs. More so with the LK85, it's almost too edgy and bright. Both LK s are a bit empty in the midbass, maybe "light" is the more correct way of stating it. Also, there is a slight unnatural tone when comparing with Majik, like a plastic taste but in a sonic way, they are unnatural compared to the Majik. The Majik has a easy flow to the music in comparison. Although it's loose in the bass, and gets muddy when turned up, but overall, the natural but tight signature remains, while both of the LK s are tiring to listen for extended periods, the edginess being the culprit. A lack of textural information comes to mind here.
I plan to get a Klout and compare to the rest.
As a side note, I find the Naim NAP150x more enjoying than LK85 and LK140. It's got better textural retrieval, a more natural tonality. So I'll be curious to hear the Klout and compare it to the Majik, my trusty standard.

Finally, got to try out the Klout. It's the sound I was looking for. Far and beyond the musicality of LK85 and LK140. By comparison, the LK's sound edgy, sometimes hard, with a forced vibrancy and lacking depth. The Klout is tight yet smooth and delicate. To me, the Majik I and Klout are much more musical amps. The Klout being more focused and in complete control. It's been an interesting experiment and I vote for the Klout as the most accomplished of the four Linn amps I have. Now I will be selling the LK85 and LK140 and probably the Majik.
Thanks guys, for your thoughts along the way.
Herman

Finally, got to try out the Klout. It's the sound I was looking for. Far and beyond the musicality of LK85 and LK140. By comparison, the LK's sound edgy, sometimes hard, with a forced vibrancy and lacking depth. The Klout is tight yet smooth and delicate. To me, the Majik I and Klout are much more musical amps. The Klout being more focused and in complete control. It's been an interesting experiment and I vote for the Klout as the most accomplished of the four Linn amps I have. Now I will be selling the LK85 and LK140 and probably the Majik.
Thanks guys, for your thoughts along the way.
Herman
No worries, I actually really like the LK85 and LK140 and do find them superior to a Majik (I do have a Majik in daily use), no doubting the superiority of the Klout though, lovely amplifier with outstanding build quality to boot... they were a lot more money though!

Hi there! It's nice to join this forum, guys.

This may seem like an odd statement but I was very impressed by the sound from an old Linn Majik-I integrated amp driving my Tannoys V8s. I'm using it as amp only, removing the jumpers on the back. In my opinion, it amazingly surpasses the sound quality of other highly regarded solid state amps that I own:
Naim NAP 150x -- not as coherent, too warm but more detailed.
Sony TA-N7B -- too reserved but more detailed and refined. Lacks energy
Yamaha B2 -- better detail, better spacial separation, less coherent

The Majik-I has a beautiful balance and correctness: timbre, dynamics, overall coherence top to bottom. It's not the most detailed but it weaves together music with no pretense but just a proper presentation. In one word: musical. Also addictive!

To those who know this old amp: If 30 watts were enough, are there other Linn amps that retain the special qualities of Majik-I (without side stepping it's amazing musicality). As you know, more expensive and powerful models does not mean more musical.

I am not chasing the latest, high powered Linn amp but curious if it's worth trying other Linn amps considering that 30 watts and musicality is enough to keep me satisfied. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Herman
Went from Majik / LK power amps which was great replaced the Magik with a Kairn pre-amp it was a big step up in quality. From there to Akurate another step up again on sound.

Hello Herman,

Great to hear you have found a set up that works for you and you are happy with.

May you have many years of musical enjoyment with your system.

Cheers

John

Just too late to contribute.

For me the LK85 and LK100 leave me clold. The LK140 is better but lean. For that era of "the Linn sound", the Klout is just superb and is leagues ahead of the others, as befits its price then and now. As you've found out for yourself.

As an aside "the Linn sound" is one that amuses me. There are those who say "I don't like the Linn sound" so I ask them which one, as its changed so much over the years!

Just too late to contribute.

For me the LK85 and LK100 leave me clold. The LK140 is better but lean. For that era of "the Linn sound", the Klout is just superb and is leagues ahead of the others, as befits its price then and now. As you've found out for yourself.

As an aside "the Linn sound" is one that amuses me. There are those who say "I don't like the Linn sound" so I ask them which one, as its changed so much over the years!
Yes, it’s changed quite a lot. I actually find the LK85 and LK140 a lot alike (no surprise, it’s essentially the same circuit but the LK140 has a larger transformer, double the reservoir caps and double the output devices). I find the LK100 warmer but also a little lose by comparison to the 85/140. I think the 85 is excellent vfm as part of an active setup... the klout is clearly better but it was five times the price of an 85 and three times the price of a 140. I do fancy the idea of a trio of Klouts driving my Ninkas.

If it’s a Klimax twin how is it better than a klout?

A klout is very similar to the previous lk280 in its design. Be careful to ensure yours has its electrolytics changed, as the oven like case tends to dry them out pretty quickly.

If it’s a Klimax twin how is it better than a klout?

A klout is very similar to the previous lk280 in its design. Be careful to ensure yours has its electrolytics changed, as the oven like case tends to dry them out pretty quickly.
Quite easily, I went from Klouts to 2250s (I thought they were still great in non Dynamik form) to Klimax 500 twins (pre Chakra, better than a 2250) to Klimax Chakra twins, which were better again.

I sold all my Klimax gear early last year to fund a house move, I like most Linn equipment and I’m quite happy listening to a an LK system for now, it’s all nice kit but generally, the more you spend, the more you get. I’ll eventually start upgrading again but I’m in no rush.

advertisement

Back