advertisement

PMC 25.23 or Neat Iota Xplorer?

Ptah

pfm Member
Given a straight choice between these two, which would you prefer? Both very different speakers, both with clear strengths, same price, same level of approval and sellability…

I sort of 'fancy' the PMC but feel the Neat might be the more reliable long-term partner... I've heard both at shows and liked both.

What's your other equipment? I have been living happily with my 25.23 and Naim. I have tried Neat's SX1, and I felt they lacked detail in my room. They sounded much better in the dealer's demo room, which was on the bright side.

What's your other equipment? I have been living happily with my 25.23 and Naim. I have tried Neat's SX1, and I felt they lacked detail in my room. They sounded much better in the dealer's demo room, which was on the bright side.

The Xplorer and the SX1 are very different animals. I'm not sure you could arrive at any reliable conclusions about one from listening to the other.

I've had the 25.23s for a couple of years now and am really happy with them (amps 82/HCDR/250DR). My room is medium-ish (maybe 5m x 6m), lots of books and soft furnishings, but has a high ceiling that can make other speakers sound a bit lost.

They need a couple of feet from the back wall, but are very balanced. The bass from what is such a small driver is fantastic.

I miss some of the characteristics of the Harbeth C7-3s that they replaced, but losing that midband timbre thing is a price I had to pay for something that had proper in-room bass alignment (to my jaded ears)

They need a couple of feet from the back wall, but are very balanced. The bass from what is such a small driver is fantastic.
I miss some of the characteristics of the Harbeth C7-3s that they replaced, but losing that midband timbre thing is a price I had to pay for something that had proper in-room bass alignment (to my jaded ears)

As a recent Twenty5 23 convert and ex C7-3 owner, I totally agree. Very well-balanced especially in the bass, wide dispersion and play well at low volumes (besides going as loud as I'd ever want in a small to medium-sized room).

That said, you really do need an extended demo of one or both speakers with your amp. Everyone's ears and rooms are different.

Neat, I can't stand the PMC 2* models. Although speakers are exceedingly personal, so buy what YOU think are the best option. Also why not try other speakers and brands?

I thought the Neat Xplorer was one of the Highlights at last years Bristol.

Yes, loved what I heard of the Xplorer at last year's North West Audio Show.

I was better prepared for the Xplorer than I was for the Alpha when that launched at Bristol a couple of years earlier. The disconnect between the tiny knee high Alpha and the large scale sound they produce requires a bit of mental re-wiring. The Xplorer pulls off the same trick of sounding larger than it is, but with a nice bump up in quality.

Neat, I can't stand the PMC 2* models. Although speakers are exceedingly personal, so buy what YOU think are the best option. Also why not try other speakers and brands?
Well I've been using Dynaudios since 2002 - Contours based on the 1.8 designed in 1993 - so I fancy a (more up to date) change.
Tried various Spendors and they didn't set me alight. Proacs have a magic midrange but seem a little unbalanced. Harbeths need stands (prohibited in our living room) and B&Ws - not sure. The one speaker that I recently tried at home and hated begins with a K.

What don't you like about the PMC twenty- series?

I heard the neats at a demo by Doug Graham. I was really impressed on the back of Norma electronics (no me neither).
For interest you can get neat sx7i for £3k new.

Taking note here as I asked about the Neat Xplorers with an Exposure 25 amp on another thread. They are nice speakers but wonder if the Alphas would be more suitable. I remember hearing the Alphas for the first time at Bristol
and peoples reaction to the sound from such a small speaker.

Taking note here as I asked about the Neat Xplorers with an Exposure 25 amp on another thread. They are nice speakers but wonder if the Alphas would be more suitable. I remember hearing the Alphas for the first time at Bristol and peoples reaction to the sound from such a small speaker.

Ignoring all other considerations, I'd go for the Xplorer rather than the Alpha with the 25. They're easier to drive.

The Xplorer and the SX1 are very different animals. I'm not sure you could arrive at any reliable conclusions about one from listening to the other.

Hi Lee,

Just out of interest how would you describe the difference between the Sx1 and the Xplorer? I've heard both the 25.23 and the SX1 but not the Xplorer.

I thought the Neat Xplorer was one of the Highlights at last years Bristol.

That’s good news. I bought a pair blind, based purely on reviews and forum write-ups, as a deal popped up here on a new pair in walnut. Needed some aesthetically acceptable speakers for lounge duties, and all the reviews painted a picture that should work for my tastes. Possibly a bit of a daft thing to do - I’ve posted too many times that it’s important to home dem!

advertisement

Back