advertisement

Harbeth P3ESR alternative?

Yes, P3-ERS are accurate, but some people are looking for things in music other than accuracy...

Yes, of course they are and that's why I'm looking for sth even more accurate comparing to the sound I'm hearing live. If you listen to trumpet or sax live they have raw maybe even unpleasant sound when played close. With the P3ESR the sound is always safe, a little bit too polite, too round, too sweet etc. Maybe it is also the amp problem as ryder mentioned or maybe P3ESR cannot play like that.

I have Rega Brio-R... :) So you were right. I also thought about the amp reason... and bought Yamaha AS-701. Yamaha opened sound and helped a bit but mids are not as nicely exposed as with Rega and for me Rega sound is much more involving. But still... the highs were polite and smooth.

Thanks. As you have so much experience with the harbeth you are probably right. I need to try some other amp options. So you said rather no to Regas and Naims below XS. Ok. Good to start with this info. The bad thing that I like Rega sound and simplicity. Comparing to the Yamaha AS-701 it has not as open sound but more involving, more musical, more real? Also the vocals are better. They are like they were standing in my room in front of me. Yamaha doesn't play like that.

I can surely relate to your experience. It is good that you have compared both Yamaha AS-701 and Rega Brio-R with the P3ESR. The mainstream amps such as the Yamaha will usually sound more open but flat and less involving. In other words, the Yamaha plays without emotion and drama (macrodynamics is the term). After trying more amps with the P3ESR you will be able to make a more informed judgment whether the speakers will stay or need to go.

In my experience, the Nait XS although good is not spectacular when matched with the Harbeth. It may sound great with other speakers but not so much with the Harbeth particularly if one seeks vitality, life, dynamics and extension in both bass and treble. Best to avoid warm or soft sounding amps with the Harbeth if you seek vitality and rawness in music.

+1 for PMC's 25.21.

If PMC is a step too far from Harbeth, maybe ProAc? These, I think, sit in between Harbeth's politeness and PMC's excitement...

My estimation....you'll not find what you are looking for with a change of amp. The Brio is great. There are a huge number of speakers out there which have a more dynamic bite than the Harbeth.

My estimation....you'll not find what you are looking for with a change of amp. The Brio is great. There are a huge number of speakers out there which have a more dynamic bite than the Harbeth.

I dunno. OP says everything's perfect bar one thing, so might be worth taking Ryder's advice and playing with amps if it can be done conveniently. My experience with C7s has been that the right amp can address a niggle.

A note on the PMC and Proac bookshelves. Although they sound more dynamic than the Harbeth, they don't sound too good at low volume during late night listening. The Harbeth sounds more balanced than the PMC and Proac in low level listening.

Have you mentioned the source you use marcin?

I find that different dacs, for example, can sound more “raw” than others and some have different filters that give differing amounts of rawness, as it were.

I think your amp and DAC are perhaps not giving you the best from the Harbeths. I'd certainly be keener to swap them before the speakers.

I would second the suggestion to try a Sugden A21SE with them. I've used this amp with Buchardt s400's, KEF LS50's, and Klipsch RP600M's and they all sound better with the Sugden than with any other amps I've tried (including tubes). It sounds especially good at low volumes as well.

As a source I use mainly chromecast audio, Muse tda1543 Dac, TIDAL HIFI.

Your DAC is rolled off at the top end, -3db at 20kHz, also, I find the TDA1543 to be quite soft at the top end in general, but especially in NOS mode. Also, if you are using your optical out / TOSLINK of the Chromecast audio, this could compound the issue, with its high jitter and subjectively “softer” sound compared to coax.

Marcin,

Among small speakers — tiny ones, actually — it’s hard to top the Trenner & Friedl Sun.

The usual caveats apply — as long as you don’t have a large room or play at high levels.

Joe

That's a new one on me. Grief, they better sound good as they're butt ugly and expensive to boot!

Marcin,

Among small speakers — tiny ones, actually — it’s hard to top the Trenner & Friedl Sun.

Joe

I think Tenner & Friedl make beautiful looking speakers. Would love a listen of some of their bigger models like the RA. Bit out my price range at the moment, in fact a lot.

Also, i find the tonality of the Harbeth to be superior to the Proac monitors especially with piano, acoustic guitars and percussion.

before i sold my p3esr i gave them a final send off with an arcam amp and they were so natural , and organic and engaging . mind you i was using a modwright modded valve dac so that gives them a real liquid sound

when i have paid all the many bills that are now accumulating i will get another pair

advertisement

Back