advertisement

Buying a Porsche but is a cheap one a non starter ?

I’d be asking myself why they’re selling at that price. Fair private seller or do they know something we don’t but should?

If that checks out ok and isn't as rotten as a pear underneath then it's a great buy. Caveat emptor though, the problem with cars like that is that they are bought by people who don't want to pay for maintenance so they just run them like bangers.
3 owners, FSH, last owner 10 years, 58,000 miles. What's not to like. It's not even silver, the silver ones seem really naff now.

Maybe nothing. Fallen on hard times, fear of Brexit, bored of Porsche, Brexit fanatic who now hates anything German, or ...?

Ha ha, £7K spent on the last service, just £12K on the next. This is why I didn’t dare buy a Porsche under £10K. Anyone thinking of it should befriend a good mechanic pronto. And then pray.

Ha ha, £7K spent on the last service, just £12K on the next. This is why I didn’t dare buy a Porsche under £10K. Anyone thinking of it should befriend a good mechanic pronto.
He even photoed the receipt to show the level of abuse.

Flywheel 450 quid, 385 for a rear view mirror....!!!

The IoM tt footage reminded me of my daily commute on a 600 Bandit, then I upgraded to a ZX 6R, which was life affirming to say the least. Unfortunately written off when an old chap pulled out of his concealed drive on a country road. He was turning right, across my path but looking to the left. I remember seeing the back of his head as I stood up on the pegs and waited for the inevitable.

Coffin arms are what you replace a lot if you think the chase scene from Bullitt is normal commuting.

(Or that the hump back bridge outside of North Grimston is a take off ramp)

I've heard.

Do it. Even a low powered 7 is a fast car. I had a 1995 1.4 K series, a Supersport with "only" 128bhp (130 when bragging in the pub) and it did 0-60 in 6 sec (5.9 in the pub). It was not the fastest, the fastest at the time was the R500 that had about 260bhp. However on a public road, driven with intent, the difference was not marked. Even a low powered 7 goes like a stabbed rat. They are scary fast, not because of straight line performance but because when you turn in there is only half a tonne changing direction. Even a light hot hatch these days weighs 1.2 tonnes. You can't corner 1 tonne like you can a car weighing half that, I don't care what tyres you have. As a result a 7 will outcorner anything on the road this side of a Colin McRea WRC 4x4 where the computers do the work for you and you just put your foot down and point it. This does mean that when a 7 loses traction, you have no clever assistance. If you run out of talent at high speed in a corner, then you are on your own. The snag is that the limits of these cars are so high that you very quickly get into invincible mode, you have thrown the thing into corner after corner at increasingly ridiculous speeds without mishap, so here comes another one, wahe...ooh, possibly a bit quick, I'll just lift off a ta...cue spin, at a potentially very high speed. I learned this on a track, which is the place to learn that you are not as talented as you think you are. The same incident on a road could easily end in tears.
I can therefore confirm that any 7 is a very fast car. There may be faster ones, but you won't hang on to your licence for long if you buy one and need to prove it all the time. The joy of the 7 and similar cars is that unless you are insane you will have your fun at speeds that don't involve immediate loss of licence. The downside is that in winter they are miserable, there's no way you want to drive one on a wet motorway, ever. After dark, even less.

Off topic, but this post brought back some memories from nearly 30 years back. The Caterham K16 1400 felt and was overgeared as was the basic K16 1800 in the Elise. My colleagues in the Rover Longbridge performance development team helped Caterham out a lot, though I must admit I didn't enjoy the 2 hours my ex-manager forced me to spend in one driving the "long" route back from Canley ("the Triumph") back to Longbridge ("the Austin") in an early production Caterham K. Later on, I urged Lotus that they needed the FDR from the MG-F VVT transmission (this helped reduce overall gearing and kept a gap between the basic but tourquier basic small valve 1800 MG-F and the bigger valved MG-F VVT which suffered from poorer low speed engine output), but they rebuffed saying it was still plenty quick enough. BTW I was only responsible for performance and economy on K-Series variants (as was bor of this parish back in the day when I joined) so don't blame me for K head gaskets! Two of the more interesting K-variants never saw the light of day namely the K16 1270cc (a really sweet revving unit) and the K16 1400 Sprintex supercharger. One for the nerd's history books (and my team's claim to fame) is that the 2nd gen KV6 2.0 and 2.5 were (I believe) the first ever volume production engines to run fully adaptive knock ignition at borderline limit from 98 RON down to 91 RON fuel. I still don't think many, if at all any, modern cars have a 7-octane fully adaptive fuel range, nearly a quarter century on.

Off topic, but this post brought back some memories from nearly 30 years back. The Caterham K16 1400 felt and was overgeared as was the basic K16 1800 in the Elise. My colleagues in the Rover Longbridge performance development team helped Caterham out a lot, though I must admit I didn't enjoy the 2 hours my ex-manager forced me to spend in one driving the "long" route back from Canley ("the Triumph") back to Longbridge ("the Austin") in an early production Caterham K. Later on, I urged Lotus that they needed the FDR from the MG-F VVT transmission
The Caterham's problem was the Ford Type 9 'box and the Sierrra back axle. Great units but a high FDR and a very low first gear that Ford wanted for caravan duties in the Sierra. As a result the K series on a Type 9 was basically a 3 speed box. 2-3-4 were great, 5 too high for all other than droning down a Mway, 1 too low. The cliff between 1 and 2 would drop you off the cam if you didn't rev it out to 5k+ in first.

BTW I was only responsible for performance and economy on K-Series variants (as was bor of this parish back in the day when I joined) so don't blame me for K head gaskets!
I blame you for the plastic dowels! Who thought that was a good idea?

Two of the more interesting K-variants never saw the light of day namely the K16 1270cc (a really sweet revving unit) and the K16 1400 Sprintex supercharger.
Interesting, but why SC a 1.4 when you have a bigger 16 and 18 on the shelf?

One for the nerd's history books (and my team's claim to fame) is that the 2nd gen KV6 2.0 and 2.5 were (I believe) the first ever volume production engines to run fully adaptive knock ignition at borderline limit from 98 RON down to 91 RON fuel. I still don't think many, if at all any, modern cars have a 7-octane fully adaptive fuel range, nearly a quarter century on.
Chapeau, mon beau gars.

£10K 1998 911 in this week's Classic car paper.

I haven't bought one of these papers for ages. Most of the cars 'just within reach' when I bought my first decent Fiat X1/9 in 1998 for a grand are now well out of reach!

I really should have bought that Lotus S1 in 2003!

ccw+29+may.jpg

Stephen

Was he killed there? Jesus.

You don't realise, because there are so many TT crash videos where people get away with light injuries after having flown through the air and missed a dry stone wall at 100mph, that not everyone is that lucky.

Off topic, but this post brought back some memories from nearly 30 years back. The Caterham K16 1400 felt and was overgeared as was the basic K16 1800 in the Elise. My colleagues in the Rover Longbridge performance development team helped Caterham out a lot, though I must admit I didn't enjoy the 2 hours my ex-manager forced me to spend in one driving the "long" route back from Canley ("the Triumph") back to Longbridge ("the Austin") in an early production Caterham K. Later on, I urged Lotus that they needed the FDR from the MG-F VVT transmission (this helped reduce overall gearing and kept a gap between the basic but tourquier basic small valve 1800 MG-F and the bigger valved MG-F VVT which suffered from poorer low speed engine output), but they rebuffed saying it was still plenty quick enough. BTW I was only responsible for performance and economy on K-Series variants (as was bor of this parish back in the day when I joined) so don't blame me for K head gaskets! Two of the more interesting K-variants never saw the light of day namely the K16 1270cc (a really sweet revving unit) and the K16 1400 Sprintex supercharger. One for the nerd's history books (and my team's claim to fame) is that the 2nd gen KV6 2.0 and 2.5 were (I believe) the first ever volume production engines to run fully adaptive knock ignition at borderline limit from 98 RON down to 91 RON fuel. I still don't think many, if at all any, modern cars have a 7-octane fully adaptive fuel range, nearly a quarter century on.

Caterham overcame these issues on their K series cars with the introduction of their own in house 6 speed gearbox which became the must have for the K series. It was then fitted as standard from 1998 to all the R series cars....ie SLR, R300/R400/R500. Funnily enough I think that gearbox never suited the Vauxhall DOHC cars which had more torque and were happy with the 5 speedType 9 albeit fitted with a taller first gear.

This is why I didn’t dare buy a Porsche under £10K. Anyone thinking of it should befriend a good mechanic pronto. And then pray.

Is it really that bad :eek:

Not putting me off, I've upped the budget & have at least a year to buy, the deed gets done once 60 has passed unless something really really good comes along.

Damn this thread. After promising SWMBO I'd keep the BMW for a couple more years, and being given a budget to sort out some bodywork on the strength of that promise, I'm now looking at cheap 911s and haz the serious wantz.

I’d be asking myself why they’re selling at that price. Fair private seller or do they know something we don’t but should?

Bit like selling hifi, some bargains come along & the seller is happy at that price.

For sale by auction soon. Won’t be £5k though :)

The Porsche 64, also known as the Type 64 and Type 60K10, is considered by many to be the first automobile from what was to become the Porsche company, and a true design precursor to the post-war production model.

Reactions: AV8

advertisement

Back