advertisement

Choice of power amplifiers

ex brickie

pfm Member
i want to give more oomph to my Arcam Solo (driving Totem speakers). Looking to spend £200 or less on a power amp. Obvious choice is an Arcam but they seem to be quite expensive - especially when I can get a Linn LK85 or a Quad 306 (both of which have good reviews) within my price range

It is for a large bedroom so not earth shaking volumes.

The Quad also appeals as the insides look like they can be repaired or upgraded for many a year to come

Recommendations please?

I have a Quad 306 now and am really enjoying it. Recapping it was extremely easy, which is nice because it seems like most I have come across had original caps.

Thanks @booja. Did the new caps make much improvement? From the websites I’ve read, Quad only recommend replacement when really needed. I like what I hear about their reliability.

What do you use yours with?

Thanks @booja. Did the new caps make much improvement? From the websites I’ve read, Quad only recommend replacement when really needed. I like what I hear about their reliability.

What do you use yours with?
I actually replaced the caps before trying the amp because 3 of them were quite puffed up and I didn't want to start with disaster. I'm using the 306 with the matching Quad 34 I bought from the same seller on PFM. Speakers are Epos ES11, and the main source is an RPi with IQaudIO DAC+ hat.

I'd been using a Naim 72/140 combo up to this point but the lack of tone controls was driving me bonkers. We move frequently, and I'd much rather have the tone controls than have to keep messing with different speakers, placement, treatment, etc.

If the 34/306 hadn't been a good fit my next option was a Mini-DSP between the 72 and 140, and maybe a sub. But I'm really liking this Quad setup at the moment.

I’m a big fan of the LK85 (and LK100 and LK140). The LK85 are lean, dynamic and upfront sounding, the LK100 a little warmer and more laid back. My local dealer (Sound Cinergy In Aldridge) has a few LK100s in stock at £150. If you live in the West Mids/Staffordshire and want to hear an LK100, drop me a message. I could let you hear an LK85 or LK140 too but would have to pull active cards out of them first.

Many thanks for the offer @linnfomaniac83

I’m in west Wales. Given a choice I’d prefer something on the warmer side of neutral rather than lean or bright as it is a bedroom system. Some of the on line commentary of the LK100 is less positive than the 85? Can a decent techie fix a Linn power amp? I’m not electronically minded.

Have you heard any Quad amps in comparison to Linn?

I believe some versions of Solo have a 75WPC amp built in anyway.... it it's one of these I see little or no advantage to getting a new power amp...

I believe some versions of Solo have a 75WPC amp built in anyway.... it it's one of these I see little or no advantage to getting a new power amp...

I've not heard that and I agree that with that power there would be no need for a power amp. All I can say that it doesn't go that loud and as the volume goes up it has less dynamism in the sound. Low level radio listening fine - louder music listening is a bit 'congested' is the only way I can describe it

I've not heard that and I agree that with that power there would be no need for a power amp. All I can say that it doesn't go that loud and as the volume goes up it has less dynamism in the sound. Low level radio listening fine - louder music listening is a bit 'congested' is the only way I can describe it

Solo Neo has that power rating I believe.....

Anyhow what amp should you change it? Definitely not Linn! Really poor IMO. Harsh, grey, sterile sounding things.
Quad 306 has to be the front runner at that price but a (also second hand) Musical Fidelity P140 or P150 would be better still but you would need to get one advertised as rebuilt/recapped or be able to do it yourself or get one cheap and factor in to pay someone to do it.
Another one just about within budget and often overlooked is an Audiolab 8000P.

Solo Neo has that power rating I believe.....

Anyhow what amp should you change it? Definitely not Linn! Really poor IMO. Harsh, grey, sterile sounding things.
Quad 306 has to be the front runner at that price but a (also second hand) Musical Fidelity P140 or P150 would be better still but you would need to get one advertised as rebuilt/recapped or be able to do it yourself or get one cheap and factor in to pay someone to do it.
Another one just about within budget and often overlooked is an Audiolab 8000P.

That makes sense Jez - mine isn't a Neo - in fact it's an old model

I've heard Linn integrated amps and agree they are a bit on the lean side. I had looked for MF but the ones I've seen command rather decent prices (if they come up at all).

I agree re Audiolab - I owned an 8000S a few years back and it outperformed an (admittedly elderly) Exposure pre/2 x monoblock setup. Will check that out too - a good call

Thanks

PS how would you describe the Quad sound? I've never owned one. I knew an elderly guy with an elderly Quad rig inc pre/power/tuner and it was on the warm side - which I liked.

I wonder how people who’ve heard them all would rate the quads, audiolab, MF being discussed against a Sugden A21 of some kind, they quite often come up on eBay pretty cheaply. Assume that we’re in a system where the Sugden provides enough power.

“How do these quads sound?” asked ex Brickie. Well I think they all sound like amplifiers. What I mean is, the music sounds amplified. But maybe there’s no way to avoid that at this price level. And it’s maybe me who (this is something I’ve learned about myself recently) really doesn’t like that warm and cuddly sound at all!

I want it to sound like music! Not grandad’s woolly jumper.

I'm with you Mandryka

First and foremost I do need amplification - priority 1. It doesn't do louder very well (but I don't need disco levels)

However my comment related to whether a power amp left a signature sound over the top of the Solo?? To be honest the Solo isn't exactly forward or shouty so the amp shouldn't be toooooo warm

Woolly grandad jumper sound is definitely not wanted! Something punchy, crisp but without excessive tizz and zing which make listening tiring is closer to my preference. Does that sound musical enough as a description? :D

how would you describe the Quad sound?

Bass is punchy, deep and powerful, mids are clean, detailed and project well, treble is a touch too soft/smooth imo, but I know others don't agree with me on that one (Tony L being one IIRC).

I remember being shocked at how big and powerful it sounded when I first plugged mine in. Quite a bargain for the £200 or so they go for, and they're incredibly easy to service too - two screws and the sleeve is off and you're ready to start desoldering. All the components are numbered, so you can't go wrong.

Hi @Hoopsontoast - many thanks for the offer. I'm looking at some other options at the moment based on a few considerations (not in order of importance) - I'd prefer grey/silver rather than black and I'm aiming under £200. There are Quads around in my price range at the moment

Thanks again though and GLWTS

Bass is punchy, deep and powerful, mids are clean, detailed and project well, treble is a touch too soft/smooth imo, but I know others don't agree with me on that one (Tony L being one IIRC).

I remember being shocked at how big and powerful it sounded when I first plugged mine in. Quite a bargain for the £200 or so they go for, and they're incredibly easy to service too - two screws and the sleeve is off and you're ready to start desoldering. All the components are numbered, so you can't go wrong.

That might be spot on then! Smooth detailed treble works for me....I have my eye out....:D

Many thanks for the offer @linnfomaniac83

I’m in west Wales. Given a choice I’d prefer something on the warmer side of neutral rather than lean or bright as it is a bedroom system. Some of the on line commentary of the LK100 is less positive than the 85? Can a decent techie fix a Linn power amp? I’m not electronically minded.

Have you heard any Quad amps in comparison to Linn?
The LK100 is warmer than the newer amps and uses fully discreet circuitry (meaning it should be repairable for years to come), however, I do prefer the LK85 and LK140 personally, the LK100 is a bit muddy and ponderous by comparison.

I don’t know what era of Linn amps Jez has listened to, I certainly didn’t take to Linn’s first generation of amps (LK1/2/280) and I’d say his description fits. The early to mid 00s system I’m listening to right now sounds nothing like that... I’ve owned some of this kit from new in 2005 and I’m still enjoying it immensely.

Conversely, I had a couple of Quad 34/306 combos and I found them to be a total snooze fest.

advertisement

Back