advertisement

New iPod Touch 7th Gen Released

Wow, that I didn’t see coming! I thought the iPod was a dead format these days! Makes a lot of sense as a home-streaming source I guess.

I can see a growing market for these. It’s easy to see an iPod as just a fancy music player, but there is very little that you can do on a smartphone that can’t also be done on an iPod, as long as you have access to WiFi. You don’t need a mobile contract, and many people increasingly use Facebook, WhatsApp etc. to communicate these days.

I have a gen 6 with quad sdxc adaptor in it. 20 hour battery life, why pay more for fancy stuff.

The ipods output bit perfect, so good for hires streaming services. Android scales the output so not bit perfect. My ipod 6 is my source for my hifi, bitperfect into Chord Mojo. It really is a bargain combination that will compete with many expensive players.

£400 are they having a laugh?

How much was the very first iPod? Now scale up for inflation and what figure comes out? (I’m not trying to make any sort of point here, just asking coz I don’t know)

My iPod Classic (128GB) is still in daily use.

I may get one of these as my current touch is being phased out in terms of support. I will be able to control my Sonos from it & use it for streaming

I was expecting the first post in this thread to be several years old.

I think for home use a 4" screen would feel pretty small these days.

I switched on my iPhone 4 the other day with a 3.5" screen and it felt tiny.

How much was the very first iPod? Now scale up for inflation and what figure comes out? (I’m not trying to make any sort of point here, just asking coz I don’t know)

My iPod Classic (128GB) is still in daily use.

But that was when the iPod was new and cutting edge, it had a physical drive in it, other moving parts and was probably expensive to make. This is about twice the cost of a decent smartphone, one with expandable storage to boot. Plus you didn't already have something in your pocket that did exactly the same thing.

I really question the market for this, maybe if they'd given it a much larger screen, got rid of the bezels and launched it as a media thingy to coincide with their streaming service it might have made sense, as it is you'll get a worse experience than using your actual phone, who is going to carry around two devices with 95% overlapping functionality? About the same amount of people who still buy compact cameras I suspect.

Its just a shame it has to have a touchscreen,because the kids wouldnt buy it otherwise...because the old Ipod Classic was almost indestructable, mine went round the world with me many times and suffered from so much abuse and still kept on playing...drop one of these and boom, no more tunes.

It can play FLAC. Is that a new thing for iPods, or did I miss something a while ago? If it can play 24/96 FLAC that makes it far more interesting.

I was a bit surprised to see this, up to 256GB and also has a 3.5mm jack.

I bought a 128GB version a few years ago because I could not initially get my ipod classic 160GB to work with my then new Oppo portable DAC although when I later discovered how to do it I was quite peeved until I realised what functions were on the touch version. Last year I spent quite a bit of time going to the Apple shop at the Manchester Trafford Centre trying various things to get internet radio & eventually settled for the AV adaptor into my Oppo 105. It works a treat & is probably the best value bit of kit that I own. It will be going to the Algarve with me next week for my holiday.

I did tell the sales guy that it was a shame it had been dropped as it is significantly cheaper than getting an iphone with the same capacity. They obviously took up my suggestion but I will not be upgrading as I do not need 256GB

advertisement

Back