advertisement

Used NDX - Bad Choice?

If shopping used streamers I would look at Linn's offerings too, they did some very good ones and I believe upgradeable

No it wasn't broken, it was just shockingly bad. The CDX2 was so much better in every way.
To my ears, the CDX2 has a very different presentation to the NDX, and I would say that it subjectively performs better with some music genres, but not all. So I do not agree at all with your generalised statement about the NDX.

To my ears, the CDX2 has a very different presentation to the NDX, and I would say that it subjectively performs better with some music genres, but not all. So I do not agree at all with your generalised statement about the NDX.

No problem with that, we don't all have to agree.

Agreed, I was happy with my NDX, didn’t think the XPS/Teddy XPS brought much to the table though. I reckon there are better options nowadays though than a used NDX. If the OP could get a home dem that would settle it for him, try the NDX to Amp vs Node/Mojo to Amp and then try NDX/Mojo to Amp, that should be interesting. I’d be trying out a couple of DACs like Mytek/RME/Qutest and keep the Node as source for now.

Gus

I can confirm that the NDX I purchased from pjdowns was broken and had to be sent back to naim for repair, but I did know this when I heard it, but because it was a good price it was worth doing and is now the best front end I have ever had and that includes a CDS3,CDX2,various turntables including all the usual ones (lp12, gyro, various regas)

I can confirm that the NDX I purchased from pjdowns was broken and had to be sent back to naim for repair, but I did know this when I heard it, but because it was a good price it was worth doing and is now the best front end I have ever had and that includes a CDS3,CDX2,various turntables including all the usual ones (lp12, gyro, various regas)

Really, what was wrong with it?

I heard the aforementioned NDX play.
Not impressed with the sound but without comparison to the CDX2 it would have been reasonable

Because it sounded as you described rubbish and it was obvious that something that cost nearly £4K must sound better than something that cost £100.

I wouldn’t advise that you buy an NDX. I bought one in 2014 to replace a CDX2 when I moved house and did not have room for piles of CDs. After the placebo effect wore off it was nowhere near the SQ of the CDX2. Flat and fatiguing would describe it.
Stay clear.

Because it sounded as you described rubbish and it was obvious that something that cost nearly £4K must sound better than something that cost £100.

I don’t remember us comparing something that cost nearly £4K with something costing £100 but ok.

This implication that the fact it cost more means it must be better doesn’t take into consideration market value of the brand.

It is surprisingly easy to get something cheaper which sounds better than something more expensive if you look at less well known brands.

Haha, you guys are great - I love the spirit of this debate, but the consensus seems clear. I dont think a used NDX is the best use of $1,800 towards a digital front end in 2019. In the opinion of the group, what would the next step up be from Node 2/Mojo. I was considering the Node 2i, but it seems inconclusive that it is enough of an upgrade from the Node 2. Thanks!

advertisement

Back