advertisement

BBC sack Danny Baker

Mmm. I am not sure how much I trust the police - especially when it comes to racism - or whether they should be involved in what is arguably a journalism/media dispute.

Having said that, I will always wonder why Baker sent the tweet and whether racism was involved. Perhaps the police can help.

I personally reckon the tweet outrage occurred because Baker was trying to be clever and unknowingly crossed the line. I find it hard to believe he deliberately tweeted a racist message. Of course I could be wrong.

Jack

It’s very hard to have a discussion about racism when racist perps are oblivious to their racist outbursts and [their] racist supporters say they are not being racist, yet say racist things when protesting they are not racist.

Structural racism is the kind of racism that white people have a hard time accepting because we have privileges that blind us to the reality that non-white people experience all sorts of barriers to social mobility and different ways of being treated because of race. If we refuse to recognise this then despite not “having a racist bone in our bodies”— we too are racist.

All this maybe presupposes more self-awareness than Danny Baker is capable of (must admit I had to work a bit to remember this c-lister ‘sleb)... in which case have a broadway song — with muppets.

I'm perturbed that people are seeing this Danny Baker and the monkey baby sh1t purely in terms of racism. Yes, it's racist, but it's a whole load of other things too, and it's arguable that the racist element is incidental. Baker is an arse hole.

Yes, it's racist, but it's a whole load of other things too, and it's arguable that the racist element is incidental.
Whatever it is or is not, it's not worth the thousands of keyboard heroes telling each other off on social media. That presenter was close to retirement anyway and he has apologised since. Next question ?

I haven’t read all (or much) of this thread, but that photo is offensive no matter what.

The Royal family and us Irish have a long history and I have scant interest in them, but this is a couple bringing their baby home from hospital.....

.sjb

I've just joined Twitter and I'll be using it for work-related content most of the time, with a small smattering of off-topic posts... but I tell you what, there'll be no monkeying around when I'm at the helm :)

Sorry, but given his job and profile it was a monumentally stupid thing to do even if there was no malice behind it.

l have a friend who knows Danny and says there is no racist or anything like that in him, and that is a very humble and funny chap....bit strange.

I remember someone saying he was a good friend of Margaret Thatcher and that she was kind, warm-hearted and compassionate.

It’s quite amusing to observe those on social media whose principle purpose seems to be spewing outrage and offence on other peoples behalf.

The sad thing is it appears we now have to pander to them.

I suddenly felt really old when I tried to use twitter a while back, I couldn't figure out how to use the damn thing so have never bothered with it.

It was always going to be a car crash though wasn't it? with the opportunity for B/C/D list celebs either pissed or coked off their face publicly posting offensive stuff at 3am, what could possibly go wrong?

There is a point that he's somewhat paying a price for people before him who really are racist but that's the nature of victimisation, and there was time between coming up with the idea and presenting it to stop himself and he should've known better.

Robbie Fowler only just got away with it when he accused someone of 'acting like a girl', I dread the day someone off the cuff calls the wrong person a 'cheeky monkey'.

I remember someone saying he was a good friend of Margaret Thatcher and that she was kind, warm-hearted and compassionate.
Merely mentioning a person close to you (let alone a good friend) who waxes lyrical about Margaret Thatcher makes you highly suspicious. I shall steer clear of you from now on.

advertisement

Back