advertisement

How can I make my amp go to sleep?

mandryka

pfm Member
With the impending arrival of a Krell, I'm trying to get into the habit of turning my amps off when I'm not playing music.

This is quite a challenge and so far, it's defeating me.

Is there a way I can get my amp to turn itself off automatically if it's not being played for a certain amount of time? Some sort of programmable plug or switch? Maybe Alexa can help.

Anyone any experience of this?

You can, of course, by 'timer switches'. Although domestic ones normally assume you want to set a daily on/off cycle.

Alternative is to get a low-power light and connect it and the amp to the same mains distribution board that has a switch. Then have the light somewhere very noticable, so you'll see it being on as a 'nag'.

I have my amps plugged into a mains conditioner with a power switch on the front, so it's relatively easy to switch them off when ive finished listening, rather than having to reach through the rack to switch off at the plug. If I didn't have that then I might be tempted by a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAXS22M/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You can, but they would likely Introduce noise into the system and potentially make it sound worse as a result. I am the same, I used to always keep my kit all of the time because that what Exposure and Naim said you should do, but when I bought my existing kit, I was advised by the dealer that it could all be kept off unless I was using it.

The smart plug idea above would also add noise to the system.

I have personally just go used to turning my amp off at the end of a listening session. With the streamer I am lucky as it automatically goes into standby after a set period.

Speak to a fireman or a electrocution you will soon want to turn everything of at the mains when you go to sleep.

Your first ‘post-Krell’ electric bill will focus the mind nicely and you will find you turn it off immediately after use from that point onwards!

I'm used to Naim kit that I've tended to leave switched on all the time so try and remember to switch my Krell off but don't always. I do tend to switch off my valve amp though as I'm convinced it's a fire risk!

I have used a oneclick mains panel for years on my hifi... Its essentially a multi way mains adapter where 5 of the sockets are slaved to the 1 socket... When the 1 socket gets switch on then the others get power a moment later. When it goes off, the others go off.

So DAC switch on, wait a few seconds and poweramps, sub etc all get powered up.

Use the same on my PC. when the PC gets switched on then all the other stuff gets powered up (monitor, printer etc).

I have used a oneclick mains panel for years on my hifi... Its essentially a multi way mains adapter where 5 of the sockets are slaved to the 1 socket... When the 1 socket gets switch on then the others get power a moment later. When it goes off, the others go off.

So DAC switch on, wait a few seconds and poweramps, sub etc all get powered up.

Use the same on my PC. when the PC gets switched on then all the other stuff gets powered up (monitor, printer etc).

Does it effect the sound?, I found that when I moved from a switched socket to a non-switched socket there was quite an audible difference.

Dosn't your milk go off? do you turn off your central heating/alarm/cooker clock/etc?

Pete
Have done fire courses when I worked offshore can only go on what I was tought. Appliances on power is a wee bit different from appliances on stand by . Ok when your awake in the house . Leaving the house or sleeping from my training I pull the plugs out the socket certainly don't leave anything on standby. Modern appliances have safety built in personally I would not take the chance having seen what can happen even if it's an outside chance fires do happen from electric appliances.

Equipment should be switched on starting from the source, then pre amp if you have an active one, then power amp, and off in the reverse order. This prevents switch on thumps from one item being amplified by the next in the chain.
With equipment that has no turn on delay etc it is quite feasible that the switch on thump could damage speakers as this thump can easily be enough to drive the power amp to full output.

advertisement

Back