advertisement

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

Yes, owl, that IMO is the sound of reduced/eliminated noise floor modulation - it's kinda ironic that this is one of Rob Watt's DACs who is keenly aware of NFM in DACs but seems to ignore it in power supplies. I guess we are all on our own journey in improving audio reproduction & nobody has the full picture because none of us fully understands all the mechanisms underlying auditory perception.

I define NFM as electrical noise when there are fluctuating demands for current (as there are in all devices that involve processing of dynamic signals), the power delivery directly from supercaps & not through a voltage regulator, delivers this current without any fluctuating electrical noise accompanying each pulse of current. I have found with batteries & now supercapacitors that voltage regulators, even the highly regarded ones, seems to suffer from this self generated noise to a greater or lesser extent.

Even though this electrical noise accompanies every sound reproduced (IMO it's like an auditory haze around each sound), it's not something that you are aware of as a distinct audible distortion - until it is removed - then, as you have noticed, owl, the clarity surrounding the deliver of each sound epitomises the saying "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". This seems to be the nature of auditory perception - when the reproduction of sound is more like what we hear in nature (no auditory halo surrounds sounds in nature & it's from nature that we have built our internally stored auditory model) something clicks into place perceptually - then the reproduced sound becomes more interesting (more realistic) because we now notice the nuances in the reproduction that were always in the recording.

Non-intuitively, this particularly affects digital audio reproduction as digital devices have widely fluctuating dynamic current demands & are also processing very low signal levels. As a result, digital audio reproduction proves to be the most sensitive to this power stability (or lack of). I always say that it is no longer a case of the notes just being in the right place as can often be the case with DA which can often sound lifeless & uninteresting - instead, when the nuances & textures of sounds are more clearly reproduced our attention is captured & a new level of interest is found in the same music we are familiar with.

Last edited:
OK, mort2k, spenagio hasn't been in touch so I presume he's not interested or not ready or not seeing this thread - so you're up next
I'll let owl know your address to send it to

By the end of next week I should be testing a supercap PS with user selectable voltage outputs from 5V to 25V in steps of 2.5V
The plan is to have two outputs which can be at different voltages - each output voltage is displayed on a small LCD panel & is set by a 9 position dial, each position stepping up 2.5V starting at 5V
The current output capability will depend on the heating i.e the case & heatsinking used. I will be testing with various loads both instantaneous & continuous
I may be in a position to send a prototype on tour in about 3 weeks & will see how it performs in the field.
There already is a tour list of interested members in other than 5V SC-PS - if you wish to be added please copy the list below & add your name

Other voltages
Paul Burke 20V
Beammeup 16V (14 -18V) 1A for Aries
00fiete 12V 3A

It was pointed out to me that the original price I posted here was €180 with introductory price of €160
This €180 has since risen to €200 necessitated by the inclusion of a 5V 6Amp power supply modified to shunt leakage current noise to mains earth. Also included is a heavy gauge DC cable 2.1mm to 2.1mm. Both of these when used on the supercapacitor PS guarantee to provide 5V output into 2Amps with minimal voltage droop.

PFM members can avail of a price of €190 + shipping (usually €20)

Last edited:
I've posted the PS on tour for the next PFMer to review. Taking it out of my system and that noticeable slight haze is back.

Hi John further to my enquiries via PM please could you add me to the 5V PS tour? Even though I haven't got my 5V DAC yet, I'll still be able to compare it to the linear PS I use for my Touch. Thanks.

5V supercapacitor PS -
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)
Aspro
koobre
ZK

Rob has contacted me & is ready to send the 5V SC PS on
Aspro is next in line - are you ready to audition it if sent tomorrow?

Looks like Aspro isn't around - can koobre or ZK confirm they are ready to audition the PS?

Rob, hold off sending out the package until we hear back from someone & then I'll give you their address or we'll end the tour, if no one else is interested in auditioning?

Last edited:
Looks like Aspro isn't around - can koobre or ZK confirm they are ready to audition the PS?

Rob, hold off sending out the package until we hear back from someone & then I'll give you their address or we'll end the tour, if no one else is interested in auditioning?

Apologies but I've been on holiday sans internet. I am keen to try a 5v( Qutest) version or failing that a 12v SOTM or a 16v Aries Mini version. Just tell me what I need to do.

advertisement

Back