advertisement

Fridge Freezer Failure.

Went to Allspares in Wigan who are usually pretty on the ball. The chap said he's need to order the relay but in his experience when this had been tried on spec it never solved the problem.. IE the fault was not with the relay but with the compressor. So I didn't order the bits. Then contacted a local fridge repairer with a good 'rep' who has a relay. I'm collecting it later he's only a couple of miles away.. 8 quid. Worth it to find out. If that doesn't sort it. New fridge.

Well it didn't sort it. But the chap reckons he can replace my compressor for about £150 and looking at the comparative crap on offer in the £500 approx range .. v our broken but otherwise VGC Samsung.. I'm tempted.

Well it didn't sort it. But the chap reckons he can replace my compressor for about £150 and looking at the comparative crap on offer in the £500 approx range .. v our broken but otherwise VGC Samsung.. I'm tempted.
That would also be the greener option, as well as providing income to local trades. My preference is to repair rather than replace, for white goods, wherever possible.

Well Mull, did you do as I suggested?

It unclogges the detritus particles in the fluid that is pumped around the piping.

To turn it up end gives the fluid to gravitate downwards and free the fluid to flow again when standing upright.

Best of luck.

Thanks for this Darmok but no. I can see what you are getting at, but I suspect that if there was enough 'rubbish' in a system to cause blockages, turning upside down would only be a temporary solution. But mainly, it is just not a practical proposition as the top of the machine has various plastic covers which would be unlikely to bear the weight of the machine.

Didn't even consider guarantees. He said he couldn't guarantee the compressor as it's reconditioned, but his work is. He's a decent sort and I know where he lives. I'm not worried.

Well we go through a Hotpoint or Zanussi every 3 years or so. It’s usually replaced under extended warranty by Domestic & General.
It never ceases to amaze me how badly they are made and even small faults eg the thermostat sensor becoming ‘unstuck’ from the rear wall of the machine renders them unrepairable.
I reckon your £120 is well spent if it’s a decent fridge.

Well we go through a Hotpoint or Zanussi every 3 years or so. It’s usually replaced under extended warranty by Domestic & General.
I find this very concerning - everything I have is obviously on borrowed time. Freezer 20 years old, fridge, dishwasher, oven, hob, even central heating boiler all 25, washing machine and tumble dryer 35. But still not as old as my amp and speakers.

wouldn't get much for that.

Better buying a top notch seat at the new stadium

I obviously have different standards and expectations to you, but you are correct in assuming a seat in the new stadium would be
the best value for money

Bloss

Fridge Freezer fixed. New compressor fitted at a cost of £120. Fair result IMHO.

And we still have a machine which suits our needs and is better than you would get for anything less than about £500-700

Result!

I have always believed in buying good quality goods. Less likely to go wrong and if they do are worth repairing.
This buy the cheapest thing possible and chuck it 13 months later attitude is deplorable in so many ways and costs more in the long run.

Thing is also, that there's nothing very difficult about changing a compressor. It's basically a bit of soldering. I've seen it done a couple of times. Some years ago I seriously considered setting up as a domestic fridge repair bloke. Trouble was..at the time the whole fuss about the ozone layer was going on and I think most fridges still used older style 'FREON/CFC' refrigerants. Sourcing the stuff and things like the gauges/vacuum pump etc etc., proved nigh on impossible and naturally nobody already 'in the trade' was very forthcoming, so I changed tack.

Much easier now with the internet. All the requisite kit and consumables available very easily.

Result!

I have always believed in buying good quality goods. Less likely to go wrong and if they do are worth repairing.
This buy the cheapest thing possible and chuck it 13 months later attitude is deplorable in so many ways and costs more in the long run.
It’s very difficult to determine what constitutes quality these days. Mostly we assume manufacturer and price. I’ve had that turned on it’s head several times. The very expensive Panasonic FF that died after four years and went to recycling, while the cheapest Hotpoint we bought 12 years ago is still going strong. A Bosch dishwasher from 20 years ago is still working great while Neff top of their range combi oven, gas hob and dishwasher have each broken within four years. There’s an argument for buying lower cost brands and recycling them at the first sign of trouble outside the warranty.

Definitely not as simple as price and brand.
A little thought needs to go into function.
The more it does the more likely something will go wrong.
Electronic control should also be kept to the minimum, white goods are generally very hostile environments for anything electronic.
Extreme heat, cold, vibration all play their part in a machine's demise or at least reliability.
Moving parts obviously have wear and tear.
All these products do need to be checked over from to time to make sure they are running optimally e.g. keep filters and cooling elements clean, cooling fans clean and free of debris ( hairs and fibres mostly ).
The point being, a quality product is worth fixing.

advertisement

Back