advertisement

ASDA, why wouldn’t they take back my pan set?*

PhilofCas

pfm Member
Thread title - an honest question.

Bought about 10 days ago, handle has come off one of the lids.

No receipt but they said show us your credit card transaction and we’ll find it on our system, showed them, but they couldn’t find it on their system.

So, no return possible, nor an exchange as they needed a bar-code to trace the batch number, without this they won’t be able to return to their supplier.

Can’t for the life of me understand their attitude to a ‘customer’ (me).

Yes, I know I need to get a grip, just hoping someone can enlighten me and cheer me up, please!

Thanks.

(* after making me out to be some kind of fraudster they did eventually allow us to buy a dearer set and pay the difference).

As Cav suggests In circumstances like this I always write a letter to the CEO explaining how disappointed I am with the branches ignorance of consumer law and hope they will intercede before you need to take any further action.
You can provide a copy of your credit card record.
That’s all they need, stuff their “system”.

It never ceases to amaze me how many shop staff are either pig ignorant of consumer law or deliberately ignore it.

We have a take away near us that is still charging customers £1 to pay by credit card.

Almost unbelievable that they can't find a 10 day old transaction and that they can't trace the supplier of such an item!

We have a take away near us that is still charging customers £1 to pay by credit card.

That’s probably bought Mr Wong a couple of terraced houses..!!

10 takeaways a day Tuesday to Thursday, then 25 on Friday, Sat & Sunday. that’s 420 a month, £5040 a year, in 20 years that’s £100k!

That’s probably bought Mr Wong a couple of terraced houses..!!

10 takeaways a day Tuesday to Thursday, then 25 on Friday, Sat & Sunday. that’s 420 a month, £5040 a year, in 20 years that’s £100k!

Trading standards haven’t done anything despite being told.

Almost unbelievable that they can't find a 10 day old transaction and that they can't trace the supplier of such an item!

Wasn’t surprised considering the screen/VDU/system they were using, it looked older than me! (51)

Thanks for the comments so far, I held it together (just), but did ask if they believed me or not, to which they said they did, but couldn’t do anything without said info.. So, if they say they won’t/can’t do anything, what do you do?

(Like I say, after quite a bit of a stand-off they did rescind, but they nearly didn’t, and made it very clear they would have been happy for me to leave without sorting it).

If you can prove they sold it to you and the goods are faulty, whether they can return it to their supplier is not your problem. They will have a returns relationship with their supplier who basically won’t give a toss and are unlikely to upset a very large custonmer.

Hit them up on twitter or Facebook. I often find that the best way to air customer service issues these days, as it’s in an open public forum and you’re likely to get a far more customer focused response accordingly.

If you can prove they sold it to you and the goods are faulty, whether they can return it to their supplier is not your problem. They will have a returns relationship with their supplier who basically won’t give a toss and are unlikely to upset a very large custonmer.

thanks Rod, I know it’s not my problem what they do with it (couldn’t give a flying f*ck to be quite honest :)), the problem was that they wouldn’t accept my proof of purchase and that was that.

They are contravening consumer law.

CEOs care about company image.

Branch staff are minimum wage till jockeys.

Your contract was with Asda.

Their suppliers are irrelevant.

Did you even see the manager?

I can almost guarantee that writing to the CEO will get you a refund.

Didn’t see the Store manager Bob, but the customer services manager was called, there were already two at customer services who wouldn’t do it.

(I rang their customer service when I got home and aired my views, they said sorry and are sending us a £10 gift card, It’s still left a very sour taste though).

Last edited:
And irrelevant under consumer legislation.
Not irrelevant, I would say.
You need to be able to prove you are the purchaser of the goods in order to bring yourself within the consumer protection legislation in the first place. If you can't, then how does the retailer know that you didn't buy it from another shop, or steal it or whatever - in either of which cases you of course would not qualify for redress from Asda.
I know it is sometimes a stressful experience trying to return goods to a shop (though if I have understood the facts here correctly, the OP did get his refund in full and an apology, plus a tenner thrown in for good measure, so not a completely unsatisfactory outcome) but it is important to try to be reasonable and appreciate what the issue looks like from the retailer's point of view.
ML

I think the important words are 'proof of purchase' so a credit card slip should be sufficient regardless whether they can 'trace' it in their system..
Go to Tescos next time !

I think the important words are 'proof of purchase' so a credit card slip should be sufficient regardless whether they can 'trace' it in their system..
Go to Tescos next time !
The problem is that a CC slip is proof of 'a' purchase, not proof of 'the' purchase.

That said, the negative customer relations for ASDA in refusing to take the customer's word on this, when presented with a CC receipt showing a purchase of some form or other, does put the local management in a bad light.

advertisement

Back