advertisement

London Climate Protests

My dog is carbon neutral.
Mike, I’m afraid as well as misrepresenting itself like this, it has also been embezzling from you for a number of years.

oq93zq.jpg

Save your cash.

Stop buying Chinese, American etc etc etc goods.

Stop buying plastic. Dont drive. Dont work for any company that does any of the above.

The list goes on and on.

Of course, it's far easier and less painful to spend 30 seconds to put a name down online and so goody for the conscience ...

Done your bit :)

I have to admit I’ve no idea what this gammon-right mindset is doing on this site, a site built on the concept of retaining, refurbishing, recycling, reusing etc. Many of us do exactly what you sneer at, in fact I built my business on it. If you can’t grasp that you have no idea what pfm is or what it is for! Wouldn’t the Daily Mail comments section, Guido Fawkes or whatever UKIP is now serve you better?!

I have to admit I’ve no idea what this gammon-right mindset is doing on this site, a site built on the concept of retaining, refurbishing, recycling, reusing etc. Many of us do exactly what you sneer at, in fact I built my business on it. If you can’t grasp that you have no idea what pfm is or what it is for! Wouldn’t the Daily Mail comments section, Guido Fawkes or whatever UKIP is now serve you better?!

Did I hit a raw nerve Tony?

Is it dawning on you that all that so called 'recycling' and other token gestures most of us are so proud of do not even touch the issue?

Changes required are so fundamental (and likely impossible) that they would completely change human status quo. - A signature in support of the protest will make as much change as your site ethos ... none.

We are not ready for that and when we finally are, if ever, it will be too late.

Have a good Easter weekend and I wont take the UKIP sneer personal.

There is a lot of sackcloth and ashes on display here... is it because it's Easter ?

If you really want to do your bit you need to get yourself an acre of land and a spade. [ and that is all... no fancy house down a fancy street with electricity, gas and piped water ] Start cultivating your own food. Sh*t on your field to fertilise it. At the end of the season harvest your crop. You will need to barter some of it for a new spade.. you will have worn yours out ..and clothes ( no room for sheep on your acre so someone else is doing that). You will have to barter quite a lot of it with quite a number of different people offering you different things that it won't be practical for you alone to manufacture... clothing , pottery , ironware , food items that you cant produce etc. But it will be grand living in the mud hut you have built yourself... no heating though because you need the acre for food... no room for trees for wood.

Soon you will discover that you have ,inadvertently , invented Capitalism and thus the merry-go-round has started.

People , less hardworking than yourselves will try to steal from you and you will need to band together for protection.. a leader of this group will be needed and you will find that you have inadvertently invented The State... your whoas have just begun.

Biggest problem ? ... the age old problem. The elephant in the room. There are too many people. There won't be enough acres. You will have to start this new utopia off with a minor amount of genocide .

Is it dawning on you that all that so called 'recycling' and other token gestures most of us are so proud of do not even touch the issue?

Changes required are so fundamental (and likely impossible) that they would completely change human status quo.

I’d argue they do make a difference. Not as much as I’d like, obviously, but we are seeing some change. Every little thing a person does makes some difference, and I’ll never understand your defeatist attitude. This isn’t a binary scenario, so whilst the future doesn’t look great there are still a whole range of trajectories it can take depending on what we do now. Something as simple as not dropping a crisp packet or bottle-top on the beach can make a difference (i.e. not kill a sea bird, fish, turtle or whatever). Everything has some impact so there really is no excuse for being an idiot.

The are 6-7 billion people behind you who have nothing Tony... they want what you have ...before they will consider the niceties of how they are going to get it.

Last edited:
There is a lot of sackcloth and ashes on display here... is it because it's Easter ?

If you really want to do your bit you need to get yourself an acre of land and a spade. [ and that is all... no fancy house down a fancy street with electricity, gas and piped water ] Start cultivating your own food. Sh*t on your field to fertilise it. At the end of the season harvest your crop. You will need to barter some of it for a new spade.. you will have worn yours out ..and clothes ( no room for sheep on your acre so someone else is doing that). You will have to barter quite a lot of it with quite a number of different people offering you different things that it won't be practical for you alone to manufacture... clothing , pottery , ironware , food items that you cant produce etc. But it will be grand living in the mud hut you have built yourself... no heating though because you need the acre for food... no room for trees for wood.

Soon you will discover that you have ,inadvertently , invented Capitalism and thus the merry-go-round has started.

People , less hardworking than yourselves will try to steal from you and you will need to band together for protection.. a leader of this group will be needed and you will find that you have inadvertently invented The State... your whoas have just begun.

Biggest problem ? ... the age old problem. The elephant in the room. There are too many people. There won't be enough acres. You will have to start this new utopia off with a minor amount of genocide .

Nothing wrong with a bit of luxury,

29uwug2.jpg

I’d argue they do make a difference. Not as much as I’d like, obviously, but we are seeing some change. Every little thing a person does makes some difference, and I’ll never understand your defeatist attitude. This isn’t a binary scenario, so whilst the future doesn’t look great there are still a whole range of trajectories it can take depending on what we do now. Something as simple as not dropping a crisp packet or bottle-top on the beach can make a difference (i.e. not kill a sea bird, fish, turtle or whatever). Everything has some impact so there really is no excuse for being an idiot.

I do my 'bit' as most others do.

Am I willing to forgoe all mod cons, not buy anything that in some way has been made by ransacking the earth's resources or made in a country that's has a poor labour rights history?

No and I am certain most here, if absolutely honest, wouldn't either.

Again, I wont take your insult, this time 'idiot' personal. Enjoy the sunshine.

Am I willing to forgoe all mod cons, not buy anything that in some way has been made by ransacking the earth's resources or made in a country that's has a poor labour rights history?

All I’m arguing really is to think carefully about purchases, avoid disposable crap wherever possible, and when unavoidable to dispose of it carefully. This is a music and hi-fi site and within that remit I think I get that message across very well - from its outset pfm has always been about buying high-quality serviceable stuff second hand and ensuring it never ends up in landfill by sharing knowledge. That is what we do here.

I’m typing this on an Apple iPad, an item made under dubious labour conditions in the highly polluting China. This annoys me hugely, but I’d still argue that being a high-end Apple device it will still be desirable long after I’m done with it and will hopefully stay out of landfill for far longer than the countless cheaper alternatives. My main computer, also an Apple, is over six years old now (I bought top end spec so it is still pretty good). My computer keyboard is a USB converted 1993 IBM Model M, there is nothing better and they last forever. Again it is just about thinking and not buying shite.

PS The ‘idiot’ comment wasn’t specifically aimed.

This thread is utterly depressing and illustrates entirely why we're screwed. Let's paint the protestors as criminals, lazy hippies, wrong or well intentioned but protesting in the wrong way. While most of sit back and continue to screw up the planet.

Ah well... never mind!

If I can keep my electricity below £400 per annum without any other home energy source, please don't crucify me for running my ancient music replay. I tend to wear a woolly pully and cap even inside in the winter rather than try to heat the room ...

At the moment I am job-seeking though not on the Dole yet. Yesterday, the brakes failed on My Skoda Fabia. I wish I had a walking distance job, and I'd give the car up in a flash, and scrap it. It's 17 years old. I have managed many years without a car, and used to commute daily on a push bike. Unfortunately my right knee is shot, so that any hill now defeats me in spite of the rest of me being light and still strong at 57.

Questions, questions. Our society and work situation seems to make it very awkward to manage without a car these days. Shift hours, and employment being planned away from housing, seems to guarantee this requirement to run a car, however modest. I very much wish I could retire today. I started working at home on the farm at the age of eight. I have a charming photo taken by my Norwegian grandmother of me feeding cattle in 1969. The cattle were taller than me. Yet cattle are very gentle with children, even if not with adults ...

I have never had any fear of domestic animals [except adult bulls, which must be handled with extreme care], and the real thing is that almost animals are naturally curious and capable of genial behaviour, if they trust you. Even geese. I love geese, and they know it immediately.

Hey ho.

ATB from George

Steve Baker’s ‘brother in christ’.

Indeed. What with Jeremy Chunt having announced he is worried about the 245 million Christians around the world facing oppression, it looks like the Tory government are calling on Jesus to deliver Brexit this Easter.

May meanwhile has been crucified and post resurrection is working as a traffic marshal, until Parliament grinds back to work next week.

Jack

This thread is utterly depressing and illustrates entirely why we're screwed. Let's paint the protestors as criminals, lazy hippies, wrong or well intentioned but protesting in the wrong way. While most of sit back and continue to screw up the planet.

Ah well... never mind!

Yep. The opposing agendas thing. We're political self-perpetuating creatures as a physical law. All evolved creatures on this planet look out for the self first. I learned this best while caring for a few stray cats on my property. There was one in the bunch, a big tom, that would guard his food while eating the others food. He'd run to another cat's bowl, and then when a cat would move towards his he would run back to fight them off it. Guess which of the four cats lived the longest? And humans are far better attuned to the survival of the self than any other species. That's a big part of why we're insanely overpopulated.

We can deny it all we want but it's hardwired. When pushed, not enough people will give up all that is necessary to circumvent this disaster, even if any of those actions could. And they cannot. So really, what's the point? Basically, it comes down to whether you believe (once having accepted this is happening) that governments are unwilling to address this issue for whatever reasons, or that they're fully aware and there's nothing whatsoever they can do about it. As a third option there's always a blanket denial that the problem exists. That's working well for a lot of people so far. I'm betting that changes pretty soon. Or as they say, "faster than expected"

I do my 'bit' as most others do.

Again, I wont take your insult, this time 'idiot' personal. Enjoy the sunshine.
You've never explained what your 'bit' is.
There are things you can do, you know, and they can help the pocket. Not using your car, obeying the speed limit when you do, using a bike recycling bags, not accepting packaging, they all add up. There are plenty of other things such as turning off lights in a room if you are not in it, lower wattages, cold pasties, they all save you money plus help the environment.

I'm unsure why so many think they have to forego everything; when a) they don't and b) they'll save money by making small adjustments. One thing, I already give to various environmental causes but I am going to donate to rebellion.earth. It's about time us aged pfm members gave others a go. You never know, they may find something us old capitalists have forgotten.

Nope, no more meat production, all car factories converted to wind turbine production and all LCD plants converted to solar cell production, not likely but it is possible.

advertisement

Back