advertisement

Who's heard the new ProAc SM100's?

Rather than gatecrash the DB3 thread thought I'd start a dedicated SM100 one. Received my pair yesterday, they're running in ATM. If you have c£2K burning a whole in your pockets and looking for a set of monitors, these should be high on the menu. I much prefer them to the D2s, which is the model I originally went to buy. The MF band is electrostatic, the LF is tuneful and very deep, works from very low volume too. The HF is delicate, smooth and integrated beautifully, no cross-over point heard and takes the MF to airy raspy highs.

ProAc blurb :)

The ProAc studio 100 was produced for over 20 years until 2013. They were made for both domestic and studio use. The studio 100 quickly became a favourite in the studios used as a near field monitor
For the last 2 years Stewart Tyler has been working on a new speaker named the ProAc SM100 and all parameters have been improved for both studio and domestic use. It now has a new bass driver with a new surround and dust cap along with a brand new 1 inch domed tweeter and crossover network, however the cabinet remains the same.
The bass driver looks similar but has a new rubber surround for longevity and power handling and now comes in a ProAc basket. The tweeter is a new ProAc design with a 1 inch silk dome and a front plate to lower distortion, the dome has a new roll surround.
The SM100 also features a new crossover, the overall sound quality is similar to the studio 100 but slightly smoother sound makes it ideal for long listening sessions.
Rather than gatecrash the DB3 thread thought I'd start a dedicated SM100 one. Received my pair yesterday, they're running in ATM. If you have c£2K burning a whole in your pockets and looking for a set of monitors, these should be high on the menu. I much prefer them to the D2s, which is the model I originally went to buy. The MF band is electrostatic, the LF is tuneful and very deep, works from very low volume too. The HF is delicate, smooth and integrated beautifully, no cross-over point heard and takes the MF to airy raspy highs.

ProAc blurb :)

The ProAc studio 100 was produced for over 20 years until 2013. They were made for both domestic and studio use. The studio 100 quickly became a favourite in the studios used as a near field monitor
For the last 2 years Stewart Tyler has been working on a new speaker named the ProAc SM100 and all parameters have been improved for both studio and domestic use. It now has a new bass driver with a new surround and dust cap along with a brand new 1 inch domed tweeter and crossover network, however the cabinet remains the same.
The bass driver looks similar but has a new rubber surround for longevity and power handling and now comes in a ProAc basket. The tweeter is a new ProAc design with a 1 inch silk dome and a front plate to lower distortion, the dome has a new roll surround.
The SM100 also features a new crossover, the overall sound quality is similar to the studio 100 but slightly smoother sound makes it ideal for long listening sessions.
Seems like a lot of money for speakers that shift little air.

Just had a demo of the Tablette 10 sig and was totally underwhelmed by them and preferred my ref 8 sig for their ability to "rock". Looking to demo the sm100 next here's hoping they are not too big for my room

Just had a demo of the Tablette 10 sig and was totally underwhelmed by them and preferred my ref 8 sig for their ability to "rock". Looking to demo the sm100 next here's hoping they are not too big for my room
May I ask what amp are you using to drive the Tablette Reference 8 Signature? The Tablette 10 Sigs and Reference 8 Sigs used to be in my shortlist several years ago but I always end up with something else (I actually don't need the speakers. It's just a craving, an unnecessary desire). Maybe one day I may end up with either of these, one day.

I used to have the Proac Tablette 50 Sigs in my system for short while. Very nice traits - detailed, airy, open and super imaging capabilities. However, I didn't manage to keep them long enough as they do not sound as balanced as the (large) Harbeth which I currently own. I still have the desire to own a high quality mini-monitor someday although I already have the Dali Mentor Menuet which is rather good and well-balanced to my ears. Too many options in the market and perhaps I should stop looking and be happy with what I have.

I bought the SM100 as my first speakers ever. I've been a headphone guy for 10+ years but unfortunately that habit gave me tinnitus, so I sold them all.

To be clear, my room is currently untreated! I know it's madness to put equipment like this in an untreated room, but as you understand I couldn't listen to any music whatsoever before I bought speakers. I was going crazy without music. The rest can come later including room treatment.

Saying these are the best speakers I've heard doesn't really say much. I've only tried Amphion ONE15's in my room previously. Although the SM100 could potentially be the right speakers for me long term, I think I have some work ahead of me to get the sound I want from them. There is something incredibly beautiful about the way these speakers reproduce music. But using them as actual studio monitors is a challenge for me. If I had a dedicated, fully treated studio it might be a different story.

The thing is that I plan to use these speakers for everything: vinyl, casual listening, movies, music creation (not professional mixing, but I still need to hear every turn of a knob in my DAW). Pure studio monitors like the Amphion ONE15 wouldn't be this versatile. Maybe I'll end up getting a second pair of monitors purely for mixing. Casually listening to music on low volume with SM100 are a joy, but working on details is another matter.

I use them with Hypex NC400 monoblocks and an Apogee Duet 2 as a DAC. Isoacoustics Aperta 200 stands. No power conditioning yet, just Wireworld power cables for the amps. Without comparing this setup with anything else I suspect this isn't the kind of pairing that ProAc intended. The sound is a bit too bright and fatiguing to my ears, but that could also be because of my currently untreated room and tinnitus/hyperacusis. The Apogee Duet 2 is a poor piece of equipment for many reasons but the DAC chip (ESS SABRE32) is the same one used in many audiophile products like the Parasound pre-amp mentioned below.

I bought these monitors because I read that they are very smooth and non-fatiguing, and also because they are said to work well on low volume. This is my first problem: I have to crank them up louder than I want to get the sound balanced and detailed. Play them too low and the bass falls off. They also lack detail on lower levels compared to the Amphion ONE15 (which is a main selling point of Amphion products). To those that own the SM100 in this thread, what are your thoughts about this? Imagine doing critical listening, mixing, tracking and so at 60-75 dB on your system. Am I trying to make these monitors something they aren't? The lack of detail is also what I like about them because they make the music come alive and sound cohesive. They excel in emotional impact, not in clinical work.

The Hypex NC400 cost me about 1200 USD used (custom built). They are the cheapest amps I felt I could get away with that had more than 100w power per channel, they have 200w. If I only intend to use the setup at low volume (60-75 dB) would it be better to have an amp with less power, or does more power equal better sound at low levels?

I knew that the Hypex NC400 probably wasn't a perfect choice for the SM100 but I had to start somewhere. I'm now considering upgrading. Either changing the amp, or getting a pre-amp. The dealer who sold me the SM100 recommends a Parasound P5 or P6 pre-amp together with the Hypex NC400. I trust the guy although I also realize he wants to sell me stuff. Thoughts on this? It has a phono output which I need, but perhaps a dedicated RIAA would be better for me. Would the overall sound really change just by adding a pre-amp into the mix? Or should I look at other amps? The Hypex NC400 is said to just amplify the rest of the chain without adding any form of character or coloration whatsoever.

In closing, the real problem here is my tinnitus/hyperacusis. Not the monitors themselves.

The NC400s have enough power to drive almost anything, and are transparent when measured, so there's no sonic reason to change them. Changing pre-amp or power amp likely won't make a significant difference to the character of the sound you're currently getting - you certainly won't get more bass that way. Maybe the tonal balance of the speakers isn't to your liking, in which case you could buy something else instead, or use a room correction box (e.g. minidsp) to tune the sound to how you like it.

They respond very well to much higher grade electronics than there price may suggest.

I had them on the end of £7-12k amps and they excelled in every area, except high SPL levels.... normal listening levels was never an issue.

Try the Parasound kit, my guess is you’ll be pleasantly surprised. And if you can find some ProAc speaker cables too, the black reference cable they do will be perfect and isn’t too pricey.

I’ll add that I’m not a fan of the Hypex amps. Think they could be part of your issue, as to me they sound texture-less and hard edged.

Perhaps try the new Parasound Hint integrated amp too.

The NC400s have enough power to drive almost anything, and are transparent when measured, so there's no sonic reason to change them. Changing pre-amp or power amp likely won't make a significant difference to the character of the sound you're currently getting - you certainly won't get more bass that way. Maybe the tonal balance of the speakers isn't to your liking, in which case you could buy something else instead, or use a room correction box (e.g. minidsp) to tune the sound to how you like it.

Thanks! I'm not really looking for more bass, but the sealed cabinet design of the Amphion ONE15 helped them keep the same tonal balance regardless of volume. The SM100 doesn't manage that in the same way. I'll try plugging the ports sometime.

The bass is fine, but I wonder if the treble could sound easier on the ears with another amp/pre. I'm not looking at valve amps yet, but surely that would change the sound of the speakers quite bit..?

I was wondering if it makes sense to use 200w per channel with these monitors if I only intend to play them at 75dB max or if it would be better to get an amp with lower power for that.

Yes, from what I've read the NC400 should be completely neutral. So the question is if ProAc expects you to use colored amps, or if I'm hearing the true tonal balance of the SM100 right now?

They respond very well to much higher grade electronics than there price may suggest.

I had them on the end of £7-12k amps and they excelled in every area, except high SPL levels.... normal listening levels was never an issue.

Try the Parasound kit, my guess is you’ll be pleasantly surprised. And if you can find some ProAc speaker cables too, the black reference cable they do will be perfect and isn’t too pricey.

By kit, do you mean the pre-amp or a full Parasound setup?

Did you end up selling the SM100?

Personally speaking, I'd try the Parasound P6 pre-amp and the Hint 6 integrated amp. (by kit yes i mean these two)
You'll have the pre/NC400's and an altogether alternative to see how the SM100's are reacting.
This way you'll know if the NC400's are an issue or not.

Yes, I sold my SM100's - i went all DIY on my speakers :) https://postimg.cc/gallery/d0t70fu8/

The lack of detail is also what I like about them because they make the music come alive and sound cohesive. They excel in emotional impact, not in clinical work.

I've got some D15's that i use in a smaller room/system with a simple integrated amp. I also have a full range more revealing system (and a pair of active monitors). I know the D15's aren't the same speaker as the SM100, but i'd concur with your assessment above.

Personally speaking, I'd try the Parasound P6 pre-amp and the Hint 6 integrated amp. (by kit yes i mean these two)
You'll have the pre/NC400's and an altogether alternative to see how the SM100's are reacting.
This way you'll know if the NC400's are an issue or not.

Yes, I sold my SM100's - i went all DIY on my speakers :) https://postimg.cc/gallery/d0t70fu8/

Nicely done!

Yes, I'll demo the Parasound P6 to start with. There's also an used P5 selling for 800 USD, that would save me a lot of money... Also looking at Sugden products.

The real problem right now is the Apogee Duet 2. The lowest possible output on this thing is often enough for me, but it is known to sound terrible at very low output levels (digital artifacts, reverb tails crumbling into digital noise, and more). Perhaps a pre-amp allowing for proper gain staging would solve this problem or maybe the Duet 2 has to go. Most similar 1000 USD price range USB soundcards seem to have similar problems though.

To everyone in the thread that's tried the SM100, how did you find them to work in close nearfield (0,5-1,5 m triangle)? Are they designed to be used further away?

Also, what size room would it make sense to use these in?

Does anyone find the the SM100 to be bright/harsh compared to similar speakers/brands? ATC for instance

probably, but will be after home dem and if that's ok after new speakers arrive so not until autumn I'd say

advertisement

Back