advertisement

Anyone on the forum give up their free time to help people?

Singing in three choirs. One at the local church once a week and every two Sundays, one for promoting young composers and one for singing the great works of the past. Although unpaid like the two others, the latter activity can't really be called volunteering, but studying music scores and learning lyrics by heart might help my andropaused brain deteriorating less rapidly. Oh, and singing makes happy.

Visiting my 95 yr old mother regularly at the nursing home, sometimes on days I'd prefer doing something else. Not that this is exceptional, in fact I am sure many Fishies do that too. I guess it is really important as life in a nursing home, with plenty of time at disposal for brooding and having regrets, isn't always fun.

I give enough money to the government in tax, nothing else shoukd really be necessary.
While this might apply in some cases, I struggle with the thought to live in a society where basically everything is just done for money, and where there's no money nothing gets done. In my case I will quit the church choir at the end of the season as I am sick of waiting all the time for the tenors to hit the right notes :rolleyes:, but I already know I will miss the feeling of volunteering for something. This is worth far more than the few quid you might earn and then spend.

Last edited:
As an ex used to say, if there is a problem, throw money at it and it will disappear.

Last edited:
Trouble is, how do you define a worthy cause. Damned if I czn. I give enough money to the government in tax, nothing else shoukd really be necessary. This isn’t Victorian times.

Surprised you think that living in Thailand where family and community ties are usually so strong. And Buddhism.

Trouble is, how do you define a worthy cause. Damned if I czn. I give enough money to the government in tax, nothing else shoukd really be necessary. This isn’t Victorian times.
The trouble is there never seems to be enough tax payers money to go round, does there? And the government isn't always best placed to help in all circumstnces. There are plenty of examples in this thread of people helping out in situations where it's doubtful if government could or even should step in. There is such a thing as society!☺

As an ex used to say, if there a problem, throw money at it and it will dissappear.
Can I throw money at you?

I used to help run a kids football team - a bit of coaching etc, which was enriching and frustrating in equal measures. I did it for a few years then we moved away and the lad lost interest in playing. Ever since it's been all hands to the pump with two teenagers and working away three days a week.
I move back to my hometown after over twenty years of moving around next year, and I intend to do something for others back there - I'd like to help out in a food bank.
I'll report back in a years time.

Yes, please do. Dong is the preferred currency !

If others wish to join in please do not use sterling.

Dunno. I chose it because, being a paper currency, it will hurt less. Only after did I realise the currency can only rise against the £ and the €.

I think I see what you are getting at, but I disagree. Firstly, I think as has been said, there are things in a community that the state should butt out of, and there are never enough funds to go around anyway. But I agree, the state should make proper provision for genuinely important things.

But as to your first point, I think ‘worthy cause’ is as simple as something that has value to those who take part in it. And on that, it can be as rewarding for the volunteer as for the beneficiaries.

I’m a long term supporter of the mental health charity Mind, and as well as promoting their excellent work, I give my own money and help raise more through events. Those who went to Scalford may remember me running the raffle and sponsoring the show guide etc, I’ve also done sponsored runs etc.

It’s a cause I’m very committed to as many of us will face problems either ourselves or our loved ones at some time in our lives, and no one should have to face these alone and without help.

You clearly don't give enough money in tax or there would be nothing for volunteers to volunteer for.

I am gobsmacked that you are struggling to define a 'worthy cause' .

Local church (behind the scenes), local theatre (behind the scenes and run mostly by volunteers) and for the Canal & River Trust. All most enjoyable in their own way.

I assess community projects in Yorkshire. I used to be a mentor for the Prince’s Trust but can’t string ten weeks together for Team since Mrs Mick retired. She ‘leads’ at RDA and we both feed and poo-pick most weekends.

But will you disappear as promised?
once the figure reaches the top of my head, of course. Estimating around 26,035,021,879,25 Dong should do it. I don't come or go cheap.

Maybe a collection would help ?

I organise and lead a lunch time walk / run session at work, giving up my Wednesday lunch break. We are members of the Bat Conservation Trust, and do surveys in the summer at our local pipistrelle breeding site. And I used to volunteer at Parkrun, but I am not driving just now, so can't get there.

advertisement

Back