advertisement

Brand new PMC Twenty5.23 speakers

It’s not that I don’t like the speakers, they are really great with a stunning 3D presentation and music presence for speakers being so small in size.

The fact is that I never thought there was such a big difference from a brand new sealed speaker and the same one an ex demo, for example.

Now I’m going to let them run for a while.

There isn't.

I agree that while for example the Thiele/Small parameters of a driver might change by 10% during a 50h burn-in which will audibly change how the speakers play bass and other parameters will change too, there is still a limit to how much they will change. It will for example most likely change their optimal position in the room compared to when they were brand new.

Expect them to improve as they adjust to how the designer intended them to sound, but don't expect them to start sounding like a different speaker altogether.

I asked a friend who works for a major driver manufacturer, this is his reply,
‘We test every driver off the production lines for frequency response, sensitivity, and TS parameters, even the budget drivers!

it’s debateable if burn-in exists for electronics because it’s hard to measure any change, but for drivers burn-in is very easily measured,

You will see some change in parameters after burn-in, the Fs will reduce, the Qm (mechanical Q) will also drop, and Cms will increase, these are all effects of the suspension softening from it’s ‘fresh’ state,

The spider is a resin impregnated fabric, and it’s the resin that micro-fractures and the spider softens.

The effect is exponential, so the biggest shift is achieved in the first few hours, and then it ver slowly changes over time from there.’
Keith

Nobody yet has mentioned the possibility of the crossover capacitors needing run-in, which could be a contributing factor if they are brand new or have stood unused for a long period?

I think for a brand new speaker, the effect of running in any of the crossover capacitors is dwarfed by the effect of running in the drivers and any such burn-in will happen at the same time.

Are the 25.23 still in the game, or moved on to a new home? I rather like my 25.23, and from my experience I am skeptical that running in makes a day-and-night difference, as others wrote before...

I have bought the 25.23 after a home demo, and as you, I experienced a big difference between the demo speakers I borrowed from my dealer, and the new pair I bought. For me, 50 hrs was not enough, but eventually they opened up and now sound like the demo speakers. Not counting hrs but I guess 100+

An update of your experience would be interesting :)

I hated new SBLs when I first bought them, some 20 years ago, and then they just opened up. After downsizing, then gradually re-upsizing, I bought a pair of 25.23s about a year ago. They sounded pretty good from the start, but the dealer advised at least 50 hours, and in my experience he was right.

Relative to their size and visual room impact, what they can do is astonishing, especially on the end of a 250.

82/HiCap DR Timo. Not ideal (I'll be looking for a SCap/52 soon), but a dramatic improvement on the SN2/HCDR that preceded it.

Thanks @Tim Jones -- I never heard Olive but the 282/HiCap DR/250DR, a great combo. And I read, in the Naim Forum, that the 282 did not present a dramatic improvement over the 82. So your combo should sound rather good. :)

Since there is someone interested in my experience, first of all I need to clarify that I didn't buy the 25.23 after auditioning them and expecting to have a B&W or Focal or name it.
I was a little disappointed of the lower end and in some terms of the low-mid. It sounds "strange" even during the same session of listening.
Current run-in is 12 hours, don't laugh at me, I have a small child and I'm in trouble finding time for myself…....

25.23 will never leave my home, I needed something really small but sounding really good, for their size are exceptional.

ATL could be an issue untill it will have some hours of running-in.
Nap200 could be not really the best option, I think a Nap250 would be much better.

I strongly suspect that these speakers at the end of a streamer, 555PS and Nap300 will sound exceptionally good for everyone.

I strongly suspect that these speakers at the end of a streamer, 555PS and Nap300 will sound exceptionally good for everyone.

I should hope so as that's well over ten grands worth of amplification plus a streamer. They should sound good with many other cheaper amps as well.

And isn't 25.23 the dullest name for a speaker?

There are a lot of speakers with dull names. I am not convinced 25.23 is any duller than EL57, L3/5, HB1, 8c etc..

Max Townshend made some called Glastonbury Tors or somesuch which I though was quite good.

advertisement

Back