advertisement

Upgrade to internal speaker Cable

"Wow!! . Maybe best I leave well alone."

No No keep going learn enjoy it is fun , and even more fun when so many people say it makes not differnce when you come up with a new concept like I did in 2009 with Tellurium Q, nobody believed me and I was rudely spoken too.
Cool keep trying please.

"Wow!! . Maybe best I leave well alone."

No No keep going learn enjoy it is fun , and even more fun when so many people say it makes not differnce when you come up with a new concept like I did in 2009 with Tellurium Q, nobody believed me and I was rudely spoken too.
Cool keep trying please.
Oh you tease . One minute your trying to scare me with all the inductance, capacitance and leakage stuff, and now your encouraging me ;). I'm just a mere amateur with a soldering iron who got bored on a Sunday afternoon and looked inside my speaker boxes. Thanks again for the responses, I'm gonna give it a whirl.

And yet no one ever produces data to show examples of their cables improving the signal they carry, or doing less damage than another cable.

Beyond raw lump parameters at audio frequency it's all bollocks.

Now wheres that ham radio wire catalogue.

Before you rip apart your speaker - perhaps talk to the manufacturer or designer of the speaker for an informed opinion?

It could be that they believe the cable does not matter. It could be the cable was carefully chosen.

What are the chances that a random bit of cable replacing the existing cable are going to make an improvement?

Randomly changing is pure guesswork. So to make a better job of it you would have to spend time trialling carefully as many different cables as you can, keeping good notes and be prepared to go back over old ground sometimes. At least with a pair of speakers you could modify one and compare with another, side by side (mono signal needed and a balance control).

A better approach would be to learn about cable capacitance and inductance and resistance figures so you might be able to make an informed choice in conjunction with the crossover design, which you will need. Bear in mind that the cable parameters are going to be a small fraction of the crossover component parameters - but still you should be able to calculate a theoretical change to the frequency response of the drivers as a result of changing cables. If you do not know the electrical parameters of your proposed cable then you are literally guessing. Of course, you are unlikely to ever know the parameters of the cable that is already in there - unless the manufacturer is super helpful.

Before you rip apart your speaker - perhaps talk to the manufacturer or designer of the speaker for an informed opinion?

It could be that they believe the cable does not matter. It could be the cable was carefully chosen.

What are the chances that a random bit of cable replacing the existing cable are going to make an improvement?

Randomly changing is pure guesswork. So to make a better job of it you would have to spend time trialling carefully as many different cables as you can, keeping good notes and be prepared to go back over old ground sometimes. At least with a pair of speakers you could modify one and compare with another, side by side (mono signal needed and a balance control).

A better approach would be to learn about cable capacitance and inductance and resistance figures so you might be able to make an informed choice in conjunction with the crossover design, which you will need. Bear in mind that the cable parameters are going to be a small fraction of the crossover component parameters - but still you should be able to calculate a theoretical change to the frequency response of the drivers as a result of changing cables. If you do not know the electrical parameters of your proposed cable then you are literally guessing. Of course, you are unlikely to ever know the parameters of the cable that is already in there - unless the manufacturer is super helpful.

As in 0.1% and makes no difference whatsoever..... fence sitters...

Has anyone upgraded their speakers by changing the speaker cable within the boxes? I have a pair of Neat Elite SX. They sound great. Just curious really. And before anyone responds with " why do you want to upgrade the cable if they sound great?" ......

- Im bored
- Can they sound better?
- Why not
- I have some offcut Chord Odyssey that I can put to good use.

I have Nordost Blue Heaven 2 as my main speaker cable driving them on Densen Amplification. I have looked inside the speakers and the cable is an all copper nothing special kind a cable. Just curious if anyone has tried it and if its worth doing?

IIRC Neat allready use Chord wires inside.

Personally I wouldnt use Nordost at all, guess a change to Chord as main speaker cable would provide better results.

FWIW Atlas Hyper is another bet for a very coherent natural sounding speaker cable.

I like the idea to relocate crossover if at all possible, that said I usually avoid buying anything bodged as its often degrade value.

Such experiments should be done by old kit, not some very expensive Neats, but its your choice only.

Thanks. I'm not bored enough to start educating myself on all this. However whilst I get everything you say, I don't know of many people that go through all that consideration prior to buying speaker cable.

Some things are rather more important than arguing about stereos... Hope things go well for you Colin:)

Thank you, getting jaw broken to remove tooth and root, but have to a quack and a dentist plus anaesthetist Tuesday, Today blood test, Thursday a pacemaker to go with 3 metal valves in ticker, (see I do like tubes Fred), Friday recovery and tests.
And Mrs W. want me to relax , yer right on.

Thank you, getting jaw broken to remove tooth and root, but have to a quack and a dentist plus anaesthetist Tuesday, Today blood test, Thursday a pacemaker to go with 3 metal valves in ticker, (see I do like tubes Fred), Friday recovery and tests.
And Mrs W. want me to relax , yer right on.
I wish you well CJ14

...Randomly changing is pure guesswork. So to make a better job of it you would have to spend time trialling carefully as many different cables as you can, keeping good notes and be prepared to go back over old ground sometimes. At least with a pair of speakers you could modify one and compare with another, side by side (mono signal needed and a balance control)...
Assuming both speakers are a perfect sonic match to begin with, of course, and are placed right next to each other in the middle of the room for the comparisons, etc, etc... ;)

...Randomly changing is pure guesswork. So to make a better job of it you would have to spend time trialling carefully as many different cables as you can, keeping good notes and be prepared to go back over old ground sometimes. At least with a pair of speakers you could modify one and compare with another, side by side (mono signal needed and a balance control)...
Assuming both speakers are a perfect sonic match to begin with, of course, and are placed right next to each other in the middle of the room for the comparisons, etc, etc... ;)

I guess you can't blame the manufacturers for fiddling with internal Foo to make a few bucks.

LFD does this thing where one or two pieces of internal amp cable are changed to silver or wrapped in braid and then the amp is labeled 'SE' or 'LE' or whatever. Same circuit, different amp, more expensive. But I suppose that's no surprise when you consider that some guy named Howard who runs the Facebook LFD group changes the name of the group every few weeks. That's happened at least two dozen times since its inception. There's something going on with all of that but I'm not sure what ..

Unless you are very experienced at soldering, the most likely outcome will be one or more of the voice coil lead wires becoming detached (and possibly even partially melted in the case of braided bass/mid leads) should you be a bit slow with a hot iron and none lead solder. This is all the more likely when attempting to solder on larger cross-section 'audiophile' cable.

The thing about replacing a couple of feet of wire in a speaker is why bother when you'll not be touching the tens of metres of basic copper wound on each driver?

Now, nanocrystaline bollocks coil wire, theres a niche not yet explored...

Yawn

advertisement

Back