advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think - for me - this is particularly so where the Pro1's concerned. Sure its AF is slow (although I think this is over-played) but CD-AF is deadly accurate and I never used AF-C anyway. In combination with the 35-1.4 it's a true sweet spot imho. Of course I had no intention of getting another P1 but this one, being sold by a work colleague for 150 quid, was too good to refuse. It's in lovely condition too.

Having played with the GFX Bayer Files, I'm quite keen to dig the original X100 out again (sitting in a drawer). I do get on with the X-Trans files, but there is something nice about the Fuji Bayer ones. I'm also after yesterday, very pleased with the level of detail obtainable on the X-T2, I just have niggling reservations about how they will print at A2, so I expect that there will be a lot of two shot pano's coming up!! Did have a good look at A7Rii and iii at the show, and the EOS-R, Z7 and Panasonic S1R, but none of them have handling approaching the Fuji offerings (though the EOS-R felt good in the hand), for me the Fuji cameras just have a 'pick me and use me appeal'

One for Amar ( @Lefty ) - Chains - 2 shot Pano X-T2 - uploaded to flickr @4000px square - its not short of detail!

190317 Dinorwic - Chains
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Having played with the GFX Bayer Files, I'm quite keen to dig the original X100 out again (sitting in a drawer). I do get on with the X-Trans files, but there is something nice about the Fuji Bayer ones. I'm also after yesterday, very pleased with the level of detail obtainable on the X-T2, I just have niggling reservations about how they will print at A2, so I expect that there will be a lot of two shot pano's coming up!! Did have a good look at A7Rii and iii at the show, and the EOS-R, Z7 and Panasonic S1R, but none of them have handling approaching the Fuji offerings (though the EOS-R felt good in the hand), for me the Fuji cameras just have a 'pick me and use me appeal'

One for Amar ( @Lefty ) - Chains - 2 shot Pano X-T2 - uploaded to flickr @4000px square - its not short of detail!

190317 Dinorwic - Chains
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Loads of detail in that :)

The X-T2 is a wonderful camera and I agree fully about Fuji's ergonomics. They are unmatched. However, GFX aside, I never quite got the files to behave as I would like in LR. The new 'enhance details' machine learning algorithm in LR certainly helps. I've repressed a few old Fuji files using it and it yields a nice improvement. However, the penalty you pay is a huge 200mb+ resultant DNG file.

In terms of handling of the other cameras, I've found that once I've got over the initial period of change / acclimatising, I can get used to pretty much anything. (The A7rii with its terrible UI is a case in point).

I'd definitely encourage you to get a week long loan of something like an A7rIII if possible.

Lefty

@Gromit - the way those reds and browns are rendered in the St Andrew's image is a case in point of why I love that original X-Trans I sensor. It has an almost film like quality to it. Vibrant without shouting :)

Lefty

@Gromit - the way those reds and browns are rendered in the St Andrew's image is a case in point of why I love that original X-Trans I sensor. It has an almost film like quality to it. Vibrant without shouting :)

Lefty

I'd forgotten how lovely the Pro1's jpegs could be (it's been a long time since I had one) but what's also amazing is how much latitude there is in those sooc jpegs for shadow recovery etc. Of course the RAF files will yield more, but what Fuji have done to ensure the camera gets its jpegs 'right' from the outset is bloody clever. If we could have the Pro1's sensor with the Pro2's joystick and faster processor (and Acros/CC, natch) I'd be all over it like a rash. For what they're going for, I'm almost tempted to buy a 2nd Pro1 and use both at an upcoming wedding I'm shooting for some friends.

Agree with your comment re camera UI. I never really got on with the A7II but somehow found the RII a lot better - weird as they share identical ergos. The RII is a lot faster though, and seemed more responsive to its buttons which will have no doubt helped. The RIII's UI is better, but down to the AF joystick more than anything else.

Spring_Equinox1.jpg

Spring Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back