advertisement

Don Rendall Ian Carr reissues

poco a poco

I'm Jim
Just a heads up to say that Jazzman Records emailed me today to say that all five vinyl reissues of the classic Don Rendall / Ian Carr ''Lansdowne' records that cost a small fortune for originals are now in stock. The limited edition box set of all 5 sold out in minutes and I for one of many did not manage to get one. They now are already £300 upwards.

It does not say if the individual records are limited in number, but I have ordered all 5 at £18.99 each so total is about the same price as the box set. Sound and pressing quality on that was reported as excellent so I am hopping this is true for these as well.

http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Don+Rendall+Ian+Carr

I was lucky enough to get the box. They are wonderful records, lovingly produced and packaged, can’t recommend highly enough. Great news that they’ve managed to re-license them.

Thanks for that, but first two titles (the two I’m interested in) now sold out, only latter three titles left. I’ve had them on CD for many years, so not too bothered. Besides, it means I’ll have more money to put toward Tone Poets......

Graham posted here so as not to take the Tone Poet thread off topic.
Sorry I did not check all of them last night and now see those two are now shown as view and then out of stock when you click through. As far as I know though unlike the box set these are not limited so they may well press some more. So you could sign up to be notified when back in stock. I don't want to disappoint you further, but these are excellent and only a little below the quality of the Tone Poet series, much better than on The CD's I heard IMHO?

Graham posted here so as not to take the Tone Poet thread off topic.
Sorry I did not check all of them last night and now see those two are now shown as view and then out of stock when you click through. As far as I know though unlike the box set these are not limited so they may well press some more. So you could sign up to be notified when back in stock. I don't want to disappoint you further, but these are excellent and only a little below the quality of the Tone Poet series, much better than on The CD's I heard IMHO?

I've bought the five albums second time round (gave up waiting for a box set to appear). I've yet to play them, but I have all the BGO CDs, so comparisons will be interesting (and I like the CD versions).

At the same time, I reveived a copy of Amancio D'Silva's 'Integration' on Pheon. I just love that Lansdowne sound...

Last edited:
I've bought the five albums second time round (gave up waiting for a box set to appear). I've yet to play them, but I have all the BGO CDs, so comparisons will be interesting (and I like the CD versions).

At the same time, I reveived a copy of Amancio D'Silva's 'Integration' on Pheon. I just love that Landsdowne sound...

I really do wish someone would do a proper job on all the Lansdowne records, like Analogue Productions or Jazzman, every single one of them. I'm lucky enough to own a few originals, but there are huge gaps in my collection and I've had to revert to CD for others. Integration by Amancio D'Silva is a high water mark. Stunning stuff IMO.

Reactions: kjb
Apparently, Gerald Short at Jazzman approached Universal some 20 years ago about the catalogue, to be met with obfuscation and procrastination. So fair play to him for persistence!

Sunbeam Records did release a CD of Mike Taylor's first album "Pendulum" in 2007 or so. Apparently, the album was licensed direct from Lansdowne, from whom they were also in the process of licensing numerous other titles. Shortly after it appeared, Universal demanded that they cease to sell it. It emerged that Denis Preston had sold the rights to his Record Supervision business to Polydor in 1978, supposedly including the Lansdowne masters. Adrian Kerridge, who'd bought the studio itself from Preston at much the same time, was under the impression that he owned the rights to the catalogue.

Matters were complicated by the fact that all the copy masters Preston had originally supplied to EMI are in the hands of Universal, though Adrian still held the original tapes in the library at Lansdowne. Sunbeam then asked Universal if they could license the titles from them, and were fobbed off for years, giving up in 2011. To cap things, it later emerged that Universal were declining to pay Amancio D'Silva's widow the paltry royalties she was due on the basis that they 'weren't sure if they owned the albums'.

It's a sorry tale, but we can only hope that, now the Carr/Rendell albums are available, someone finally siezes the opportunity to lovingly re-release an important part of British Jazz heritage.

I also saw the Quintet live a few time live as well so I'm particularly enjoying 'Live' from the reissues set, that I had not heard before, along with the Stamford Audio 'Live at the Union 1966'. The recording quality is not as good on this latter one of course as it was just an amateur recording by George Foster that was lost for 40 years and only rediscovered by Foster under Ian Carr's bed when Carr had to go into a care home. I tend to agree with Foster that as great as the studio recordings are they pushed the music harder live.

Don Rendall along with Graham Collier used to teach on the Jazz Course at Barry Summer School during August most years in the late sixties and to the start of the seventies with some very talented young musicians on the course like Keith Tippett and visits from other musicians, that I think included Ian Carr and Dave Green on more than one occasion. I remember in 1969 they composed a long Jazz Suit on the Moon Landing for the end of course concert. I wish there was a recording of that. I was on the photography courses most years and when the bar turned out each night it was followed by some great jam sessions by the Jazz Course tutors and students till the early hours.

Excellent posts, and a bit of a sad state of affairs for the Landsdowne related artists.

Of course Keith Tippett met a young Elton Dean at Barry Summer School, and proceeded to create history.

I forgot of course that Elton Dean was also there. Another of my favourite British jazz musicians. I think John Marshall who was also in Soft Machine after Robert Wyatt was there at sometime. It was a pretty advanced course with other latterly famous, then young jazz musicians, that I can't quite remember now. It was around 50 years ago. :(

All the courses at Barry were to a high standard with great tutors such as Patrick Heron and Terry Frost teaching on the painting courses. No heiracy between tutors and students and plenty of cross fertilisation between the courses such as Jazz, Dance, Painting and photography creating a piece (Happening :)) together. I really missed my summers there when it came to an end.

Don Rendall was my saxophone tutor for a while when I was a student at Goldsmiths College in the early 70s. Lovely lovely man. He used to run the Big Band there. I was then lucky enough to meet Ian Bird and his lovely wife Lynn and was taught by him. Another really wonderful guy and brilliant player.

I was then lucky enough to meet Ian Bird and his lovely wife Lynn and was taught by him. Another really wonderful guy and brilliant player.

I would love to see good vinyl reissues of the Bird Curtis Quintet albums, - 'Bird Curtis Quintet' and 'Needs B'.

Edit: Seems these are available direct from the Norwegian Jazz Agression Records? I thought these were CD only releases, but I think they are saying vinyl with a CD? Can anyone confirm? Second one is apparently a remaster from a test pressing as it was not released (I thought it was a run of 100 only?). This month looks like getting more and more expensive.

Last edited:

At the same time, I reveived a copy of Amancio D'Silva's 'Integration' on Pheon. I just love that Lansdowne sound...

I really do wish someone would do a proper job on all the Lansdowne records, like Analogue Productions or Jazzman, every single one of them. I'm lucky enough to own a few originals, but there are huge gaps in my collection and I've had to revert to CD for others. Integration by Amancio D'Silva is a high water mark. Stunning stuff IMO.

I love this site. I consider myself quite well versed in jazz and then read a thread fluff references to great musicians and records I've never heard of. Lots of new listening ( and almost certainly buying) to be done. Thank you for this thread.

Kevin

advertisement

Back