advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

My latest acquisition. Can't stop wearing it...
300r05e.jpg

Although last years big one still gets a lot of wrist time...
n228sx.jpg

Both I and the Tag Huer Monaco are 50 this year but the wife seems to be deaf to my hints.

Another fan of the Explorer II. But on a leather strap, fortunately found one that can incorporate the bracelet clasp. Dates from about 2002, can't say I'm as keen on the newer large ones.

46584509504_b975cb4019.jpg

Ideal World shopping channel have their .....erm.....Vostok Europe exclusive sale on TV as we speak. They watches look supremely awful but the show is pure comedy Gold. I've never heard as much abject bollox spouted.

Well maybe in Government.

The Datejust 41 looks absolutely massive to me, whereas the 36 looks just right. The local Rolex dealer said that the 41 was their biggest seller, so what do I know?

One for the watch collectors - Lidl have in a little trinket box for a fiver that has 6 compartments, each big enough for a watch wrapped around one of those sponge carrier affairs. It's in bamboo with a clear hinged lid, measures about 8" x 6" x 3" (WDH) and it's quite handy. My modest collection fits in it nicely and none of mine are valuable enough to need to be in a safe when they're not on my wrist.

Since sinking big wedge into a VW camper, my watch aspirations are on hold, but still hold a candle for that JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon..... yum

Have a Breitling Chrono cockpit for my daily watch never missed a beat. Not a Rolex but third the price so will do for me

Have a Breitling Chrono cockpit for my daily watch never missed a beat. Not a Rolex but third the price so will do for me
They don't miss a beat. They are simple machines and run for quite some time before needing maintenance. My £40 Seiko SNK 805 has been in daily use now for about 5 years. Other than getting a bit battered it's fine. It's accurate to within a minute a week. For £40. Meanwhile Britain is going to return to a manufacturing economy. Really?

My latest purchase is this Casio MQ-24-7BLL (catchy reference, I know). I haven't got it yet but based on what I can see from the images at Amazon, it's dial is simply simple and all the better for it. Fwiw, I bought it as an alternative watch for when I'm cycling; I'd normally only wear my Casio F-91W when I'm on my bike but having the MQ-24-7LL will give me choices :)

81ihsxfmAuL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They're all right for bashing around as a sports watch, I've had similar. I currently have a Swatch, very similar, that I found with a broken buckle in a puddle and repaired from the bits box. The straps aren't very durable and after a while they break. By then the whole thing is getting a bit shabby and gets thrown out or put in a drawer until the battery packs up.

And that's part of the appeal: there's no worrying about cost whatsoever because if it dies, gets lost or stolen (as if), I can just buy another. Cheap Casio ftw!

My three, the IWC 3521 as the 'daily', the Rolex 15200 as dress/smart and the Omega 120m as outdoor activities.

My taste is quite specific, simple 3-hand, compact 34-36mm size, date window and baton hands but all with their own certain style.

Trio
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

IWC 3521

Rolex 15200

Omega Seamaster 120m

Lovely watches there. I'm not a great Rolex fan but that one looks lovely on a leather strap.

advertisement

Back