advertisement

What do you feel is the best piece of music ever written?

Nice anecdote. I love failed jazz musicians, they see to understand much of the world.

You might like this - it has a nice jazz solo:

Sounds much better on vinyl though. Listening much to this.
Thanks. I'll put it on again later, I'd like to say with a Lagavullin, but it will have to be a Talisker or a Laphroig. Lagavullin has gone out of my range. Cheers

better question would be what piece of music would you like played at your funeral?

I couldn't give a toss; it's not like I'm going to hear it. Just for a laugh though: 'Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell' by Iggy and the Stooges.

Fans of Mike Flex’s Classical Spot on Radio Active will remember when he couldn’t find the original of ‘Chopin’ by Les Sylphides, only a cover version. Instead he decided to play “the greatest piece of classical music ever - Mike Oldfield’s ‘Tubular Bells.’”

Okay, now that I'm onboard with Wagner, I'm prepared to consider the possibility that Urlicht isn't, in fact, the best piece of music ever written. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't... just that there's a teency weency chance it might not be.

If Urlicht is truly peerless as I suspect it is, then among the so-called best pieces of music ever written one simply must include Piano Counterpoint by Steve Reich.

Nic, did Bach write the toccata and fugue in D and Albinoni his Adagio? :)
Key-works for these composers but having a doubtful origin!
I don't think key works exactly apart from in the minds of the general public. Even those musicians who think BWV 565 is Bach would be unlikely to go as far as to say it's great Bach. It's just rightly popular (I play it fairly regularly as I'm sure you do). As for "Albinoni's Adagio" it's a mid 20th century fake as you know (many a disappointed light classical enthusiast has listened to actual Albinoni with confusion).

Of course, anyone is entitled to their favourite piece of "classical" music...and if Bob likes what we know as Allegri's Miserere better than any other piece, who am I to argue?

Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem. Ethereally beautiful. Karajan's 1964 account would be with me on my desert island.
My chakras were once over excited by this piece. It was a performance at the RFH with Gatti conducting the RFO. In the second movement during the slow orchestral build up to the chorus' entry with 'Den allies Fleisch, es ist wie Gras', a tingling sensation started at the base of my spine, slowly travelled up my spine, over my head and slowly down to my toes. No - it wasn't 'that' type of experience, but it was the most visceral physiological response to a piece of music I've ever had.

Well there we are. Make of it what you will. Perhaps I should be arrested.

advertisement

Back