advertisement

Forgive me lord for I have sinned...

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
Forgive me lord, for I have sinned - it has been fully 18 months since I had my friend's lovely SE hybrid mono’s in my system. I have spent that time lazily slumming with my Mark Levinson No. 29, thinking it was goodness (it’s a good amp!).

I was deceived, and the SE‘s have again stolen my speakers, they are simply gone.

This has been oft the case...when willith I learn?

Honestly - as soon as the sun comes out again probably - the damned SEs dim the lights in my entire apartment block when switched on, and are at the very extreme opposite of environmentally friendly :)

Thank you again David - they continue to bring tears to my bastard eyes, & after 20 years remain the best thing I have heard!

47340124111_d1bbb565f2_b.jpg

33464144728_376c818ea7_b.jpg

47340122931_ec67836dcc_b.jpg

The valve looks to be an 845 which has a thoriated tungsten filament - these glow much brighter than the more common indirectly heated types or even coated filament valves such as the PX4 or 300B

The 845 filament runs at 10 volts 3.25 amps, so more or less a small light bulb.

Thanks All - valve is a GM70, so only 3A at 20v from memory, a veritable light bulb.

Driving ESL63s, they do an equally good job into 57s. Guy who built them in Oz still does the occasional pair, mostly for ESLs now where they’ve gained a cult following.

With reduced ambient temps (21 degrees in my apartment), power transformers only got to 37 degrees after 2 hours yesterday. When I last removed them from my system they hit 50 degrees, but that was high summer...about when they’ll get put back under my bed this year :)

Some better photos here, when I swapped from 211 to GM70; https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/extreme-tube-rolling.182803/#post-2760754

I need to clean the glass of those tubes before the dust cakes on - top if valve is 187 degrees in operation - I remember my youngest daughter touching one after repeat tellings not to when I was in Ireland with 211s...it only happened once ;)

advertisement

Back