advertisement

System pics 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, Hoopsontoast! Love the CD player! My wife and I have been auditioning the new Apollo for two weeks now and love it! I convinced her last night (which the photos are from) to order the Saturn-R!
A little wine and allowing her to pick all her favourite CDs is all it took-granted I had to listen to some terrible music but a small price to pay for a Saturn-R.

Nice set up! Can you please expand a little on the RP6 cartridge / phono stage? Just curious as I have an RP6 and wondering whether to plunge for the Aria over the Fono2, or wait and upgrade the entire deck. Plus where did you get those funky record storage cubes?
Thanks.
But it's just a modest system. I have no real hifi ambitions compared to many here.

I have an Apheta 1 MC cart on the RP6, and the phono stage is the Jez Arkless modified CA640P, which I really like. It's also small enough to be hidden away.

The cubes were bought as plain MDF. I say an ebay seller ad; rang the number; and discovered they made them in a storage unit in Stockport...so I went along and had a nice chat. The guys are really helpful, and it was interesting being shown around. My, erm paintwork, isnt the best. I had some odd notion of painting the inside of the cube to match the wall...now, I just wouldnt bother.

About time I posted an (untidy) pic. Cheap phone I'm afraid.

teSkDv.jpg

Marantz CD-63?

Thanks.
But it's just a modest system. I have no real hifi ambitions compared to many here.

I have an Apheta 1 MC cart on the RP6, and the phono stage is the Jez Arkless modified CA640P, which I really like. It's also small enough to be hidden away.

The cubes were bought as plain MDF. I say an ebay seller ad; rang the number; and discovered they made them in a storage unit in Stockport...so I went along and had a nice chat. The guys are really helpful, and it was interesting being shown around. My, erm paintwork, isnt the best. I had some odd notion of painting the inside of the cube to match the wall...now, I just wouldnt bother.

That great - many thanks for the extra info on the RP6 set up, and the cubes as well! I did wonder if the the cubes were painted MDF as they looked similar to the ones on ebay. And, can understand running out of enthusiasm painting the insides, it is a right faff painting MDF, building up the layers and sanding in-between coats.

That great - many thanks for the extra info on the RP6 set up, and the cubes as well! I did wonder if the the cubes were painted MDF as they looked similar to the ones on ebay. And, can understand running out of enthusiasm painting the insides, it is a right faff painting MDF, building up the layers and sanding in-between coats.

I didn't mind painting the inside, it's just that I think I should have stuck with a single colour throughout. You can't really see the inside anyway.
You are right about the need to sand between coats.

I think this is where I sourced mine from, but there are plenty of others who produce the same sort of thing.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143134378550

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yep :)

It's just used as a transport. My old rotel gave up the ghost after 20 years (not built to last eh? !)

I don't use it much now I have the streamer.
I used a 63 as transport with a Meridian 203b / Deltec something-or-other for years . It's not bad at all .

I used a 63 as transport with a Meridian 203b / Deltec something-or-other for years . It's not bad at all .
I know some will dismiss this as cable nonsense, but I started using the 63 again when I got a Chord Clearway digital cable. It was a real pleasure listening to a stack of cds that evening :)

y4mBpfPQV6stc9ddu4BnYsjXrTeFHKUCr7YP_JFioJoTQhPkJTx1ZI8UsSgHSUz87ost071ZIxs1z1U9Whg-_otNFJTZvnJNAzZd1mmcL8JHWeBwlElGIajXosX_9DStHrV0-9JL-P3eRL6cBTxYxR4WuL3qY2BSlaa7wY9wuMx8I7Ig-mAeFBzPLTLwUqekjp7YBRFtShzjfYepDvN1nmgdA

Had a bit of a play around this weekend whilst they were out and found best location and combinations for both my TTs: Funk LSD now in the living room and RP8 upstairs. Plus a new pair of Audeze LCD-2C to try out.

Looks great! I have never auditioned the LCD-2c but I love my LCD 3’s- Love the sound of Audeze.
Happy listening.

First up, managed to bag a Rega Saturn to try after having a Mk1 Planet, Apollo-2000 and Apollo-R in the past.

Rega Saturn
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And finally got round to buying some GIK panels, I've been researching it since we moved in 2-years ago but we had a nice little bonus at work so went for it.
Decided to start with treating the 1st reflection points, and 2nd is done with the sofa and panel under the TV. I also have some rear diffusors/absorbers behind the listening seat with another thin panel to go up the other side of the window.

Then to finally get round to decorating!

System

System

System
Hi Hoops, Lovely room, how did you go about positioning of the acoustic panels? Good WAF me thinks...

Hi Hoops, Lovely room, how did you go about positioning of the acoustic panels? Good WAF me thinks...
The main two blue ones were 1st reflection point. There are 3x of the impression diffusors on the back wall to the side of the windows as recommended, then the spare diffusor under the TV just looks tidier along with The 3rd large blue is now mounted properly above the TV is around the 2nd reflection point.

I’m interested in your room treatment. Did you notice immediate improvement with the first reflection damping? Any other observations would be useful too!

I've only had it installed since Friday! Main imrovement seems to be the bass has less overhang and the whole frequency range just seems cleaner, makes it easier to pick out individual bass lines or instruments for example. The soundstage has been made clearer as well, if that matters to you.

I've only had it installed since Friday! Main imrovement seems to be the bass has less overhang and the whole frequency range just seems cleaner, makes it easier to pick out individual bass lines or instruments for example. The soundstage has been made clearer as well, if that matters to you.
My hearing is affected by room reflections, particularly getting imaging right. Interested in some experimentation before turning the living room into an anechoic chamber.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back